Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We Need More Supernodes!

can you see my isp if I'm a supernode?

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Blaster.Master@25 September 2003 - 20:01
    can you see my isp if I'm a supernode?
    if the riaa trys hard enough, probably yes.

if your american, you probably shouldn't.

if you are british etc., please do.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    darkwalk1980
    I was a supernode for a few months at work (Washington University), but unfortunately the computer tech people complained that i'm using an insane amount of bandwidth. The report, according to one of the computer tech guy, was printed on paper and was comparable to couple reams of paper. :-) Its hard to keep being one without alerting higher authority. It would be nice to constraint the amount of bandwidth.

~Darkwalk~

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    sorry...i was a supernode for a super really long time...and I live in the US.

Since all this crap has been going on however, I have stopped.

Not to mention, I feel a little uneasy leaving my computer on for 8 or more hours unattended...it just feels creepy to me.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    aloha!
    first a bit about this general security issue, I don't think I've ever seen or heard about a system that would be unvulnerable as a whole!
    I don't mean to scear anybody or anything, but if e.g. RIAA or FBI or I or You would want to find your IP# through KaZaa/KLite or whatever then he/she, it would find a way to do it, but that may take time and there's the opposition and defending, "hiding" helping -> so I don't think anybody should worry about it much personally BUT they SHOULD acknowledge it and defend the cause of personal immunity etc. actively, especially EVERYTIME when something HAPPENS!!!
    Otherwise no-one would know or do anything about these things and can't in one perspective try to help You either! Not everyone's bad, even if they offer to do something for free..
    Okay, going out of line and order, so back2issue: I found the problem I was having!
    My firewall simply blocked one specific port (maybe used to "node around", if multiple ports in use...?) more or less randomly, and I thought the according settings in my firewalls were correct, I even checked them but didn't notice the randomness..
    (which is at least embarrassing, if not bad for my pre-presumed "knowledge" of computers ...)
    anyway I'm going to upgrade my CPU&MB + others if necessary (if/when I have money of course...) and meanwhile lay the supernode aside for most, 'cause even sleeping there's 30+ proc:s running... B)
    keep sharing and have fun with your loot !!!
    Life is a bug, then You crash!

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    oh and thank You for all who offered help and opinions !!!
    Life is a bug, then You crash!

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    Being a SuperNode is NOT illegal in the USA!
    (however it MIGHT violate your ISP's useage rules...)

Plus, if we get more average user SuperNodes then RIAA will have a slightly harder time spying on us. One of RIAA's tricks is to run a supernode themselves and monitor/block traffic that passes through it. (How much info they can gain doing that I don't know...) It's part of the reason why many have complained about terrible search results and total users reported to only be 100 or less.

Most 1-time searches only search the current supernode you're connected to and maybe 1 supernode (and its nodes) that your supernode is connected to. If OUR supernodes are denying (ie: BLOCK RIAA ips) connections with RIAA bots, then we are EFFECTIVELY ANONOMOUS to them. They will be forced to connect to other parts of the fasttrack network and we will be much safer from their invasive scanning.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Not sure I understand. Does being a supernode increase or decrease the RIAA risk? How much traffic would come across my ISP, and at what point will it get their attention? The kids computer is running K-Kite 2.4.2, and sufficient speed with DSL. DSL is fast download, but I think too slow upload (1.4M/125K). Need to spend some time and resolve the XP limited user issue. If nobody is logged on, will k-lite still allow upload, or does there need to be a user logged on?

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Being a supernode runs no risk at getting caught by the RIAA.

As long as you don't share files and be a supernode at the same time, you're okay. Doing both will ultimately degrade your connection over a matter of minutes into the first download, and possibly crash your computer if you're using a USB modem or a low class cpu(1.2ghz and below).

I have checked and re-checked vunerabilities in getting caught with 2.4.1, 2.4.2, and 2.4.3 and what I've found is that even in 2.4.1 you run a 5% chance of getting spied on over the course of 1 month.

If you have 2.4.3 you are protected fully, just keep your IP blocker updated.

Don't worry about it. I haven't gotten caught

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    DarkBlizzard's Avatar Poster
    the RIAA can get my IP if i'm a supernode....right? ( I'm American)

EDIT: And what if i'm a supernode and have NO songs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast