Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is SuperSearch worth it?

KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I like supersearch but I would not pay for it, it's cracked in the version of NL I,m using also.

Binsearch is a good alternative if you don't want to pay or crack it.
    Last edited by KFlint; 05-01-2009 at 09:21 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by saulin View Post
    I love supersearch. It's what I use most. I was using Newsleecher but I found that the latest betas are buggy. I guess 3.9 Final must be stable. Anyways I'm using Alt.Binz for now. And yes both of them seem to have almost the exact same features and I could see how Alt.Binz was built off NL. Oh yeah the Alt.Binz programmer now wants a $15 euro donation at least to be able to get the latest version and he added user name password protection and I believe this has not been fully cracked yet.

Oh I just saw this on usenet Alt.Binz.v0.30.0.WinAll.REAL-CRD

Maybe it's fully cracked now.
    Yeah your still prompted to add user/pass...but hit cancel and you can use it, but it still has a ton of problems. The VB script used is screwed up on the IND release and the CRD release is sort of ok, their both in the soft section. Also it doesn't work well in Win 7 at least on my end. But in Vista, it would constantly freeze and what not, and NL was very buggy on my Vista box, but since I went to 7, not a single problem.
    [center]

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Hey SonsOfLiberty. Newsleecher 3.9 final is very stable right? I was trying 3.95 beta and 4.0 beta but damn they are very buggy. I love the way SS gives you the results on 4.0 beta though.

I'm using Alt.Binz because I kept getting this ramdom errors on NL saying that a bug caused an error and to restart the program and more than once NL deleted my files when attemping to repair even though the repair was not sucessful but it might have been due to the bad RAM I had. I have not have issues with any downloads getting corrupted after swapping my RAM though.
    Last edited by saulin; 05-01-2009 at 11:15 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Did you have the option check to delete file on auto unrar? I've been using Windows 7 for about a month, NL's been installed that long and hasn't glitched on me at all...it used to a bit on Vista, but if you delete the Appdata for NL and restart it works great, you have to resetup everything though, and Alt.binz (free) was even worse, it would 'cause me to hard re-boot everytime I would run it for more than 5 minutes.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 05-02-2009 at 12:54 AM.
    [center]

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by saulin View Post
    I love supersearch. It's what I use most. I was using Newsleecher but I found that the latest betas are buggy. I guess 3.9 Final must be stable. Anyways I'm using Alt.Binz for now. And yes both of them seem to have almost the exact same features and I could see how Alt.Binz was built off NL. Oh yeah the Alt.Binz programmer now wants a $15 euro donation at least to be able to get the latest version and he added user name password protection and I believe this has not been fully cracked yet.

Oh I just saw this on usenet Alt.Binz.v0.30.0.WinAll.REAL-CRD

Maybe it's fully cracked now.
    Yeah your still prompted to add user/pass...but hit cancel and you can use it, but it still has a ton of problems. The VB script used is screwed up on the IND release and the CRD release is sort of ok, their both in the soft section. Also it doesn't work well in Win 7 at least on my end. But in Vista, it would constantly freeze and what not, and NL was very buggy on my Vista box, but since I went to 7, not a single problem.
    As you keep repeating this on the site, I feel like I need to point out what we now know about these 'cracked' versions. They contain a trojan that installs a keylogger and runs it invisibly (that's what the vbs does). This eventually sends an email to a gmail account with the subject: 'Hacked Passwords'. If NLSS isn't working in it, the code is 0.28.5 and not 0.30.0.

We @ the Alt.Binz forum know this from sandbox testing and from users with compromised accounts. Needless to say, the dev had nothing to do with making or circulating this trojan. You'll be skeptical I'm sure ... but still, I thought I'd do the right thing and give you a heads up, do with it what you will.

-Hecks

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Maybe the dev should'nt used a NL beta for his base code either.

BTW- I just summited both file to ESET so we shall see.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 05-02-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    [center]

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Maybe the dev should'nt used a NL beta for his base code either.

BTW- I just summited both file to ESET so we shall see.
    I'm also unsure where you get this idea that Alt.Binz somehow uses Newsleecher code. This has never been the case. They're both created in Delphi, and inevitably use some of the same packages, but that's where the similarity ends. Alt.Binz was built from the ground up on original code, as can be seen from the earliest versions.

Anyway, hope that's clarified some things for you.

-Hecks

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    It has, but the dev left NL right? And then moved to the Alt.binz project and built it from that...correct? I'm mean it's been mentioned before in the Newsleecher forums on many occassions. Yes I use the free version at times, but is buggy as hell, so why would NL people say it was built from one of their old beta? Are they lieing?

Also, I've not heard anything back from ESET, probably be a few days
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 05-02-2009 at 04:11 PM.
    [center]

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    It has, but the dev left NL right? And then moved to the Alt.binz project and built it from that...correct? I'm mean it's been mentioned before in the Newsleecher forums on many occassions. Yes I use the free version at times, but is buggy as hell, so why would NL people say it was built from one of their old beta? Are they lieing?

Also, I've not heard anything back from ESET, probably be a few days, and if it's such a bad threat, why are you letting users get infected then? Because their pirates or because pirates feal that a $15 donation is a little extreme?
    No, the dev (Rdl) was never connected with NL. I don't know the threads to which you're referring, but I can't imagine that they're anything but misguided speculation - links?

On the other point: I'm not sure what you think we can do about it. The free version of Alt.Binz is distributed through the site http://www.altbinz.net, and the latest versions from the Contributors forum. The trojans haven't been coming from there, I assure you. They were posted to usenet by what we must assume are just opportunists who saw the crack requests. Who knows why people do these things.

If you or anyone else wants to check whether their system has been compromised, why not install wireshark and see whether anything is phoning home. Hopefully decent AV will have picked it up and protected from the worst damage.

As for problems with 0.25.0: well, I can only speak from experience at the Alt.Binz forums. For 99% of users, it's rock solid. For the rest, we try as best we can to work out what's interfering with it on the users system. Top culprits so far have been: AV packages, intrusive firewalls, bad memory, bad HD, badly configured setup.

-Hecks

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecks View Post

Also, I've not heard anything back from ESET, probably be a few days, and if it's such a bad threat, why are you letting users get infected then? Because their pirates or because pirates feal that a $15 donation is a little extreme?
    No, the dev (Rdl) was never connected with NL. I don't know the threads to which you're referring, but I can't imagine that they're anything but misguided speculation - links?

On the other point: I'm not sure what you think we can do about it. The free version of Alt.Binz is distributed through the site http://www.altbinz.net, and the latest versions from the Contributors forum. The trojans haven't been coming from there, I assure you. They were posted to usenet by what we must assume are just opportunists who saw the crack requests. Who knows why people do these things.

If you or anyone else wants to check whether their system has been compromised, why not install wireshark and see whether anything is phoning home. Hopefully decent AV will have picked it up and protected from the worst damage.

As for problems with 0.25.0: well, I can only speak from experience at the Alt.Binz forums. For 99% of users, it's rock solid. For the rest, we try as best we can to work out what's interfering with it on the users system. Top culprits so far have been: AV packages, intrusive firewalls, bad memory, bad HD, badly configured setup.

-Hecks
    I assure you I have no bad setup, it's a band new system, I had Vista on it, brand new built from scratch everything...it would constatnly freeze my PC and be forced to to a hard re-boot. AV is ESET, Firewall Is Commodo. And I'm not a noob on setup, so I've checked and checked and gave up. Maybe it was just Vista Like I said, ESET will be contacting me hopefully soon and we can all see if it is indeed a trojan that phones home. My thoughts on the cracking situation is take donations back down to where there once where, if no one has noticed, no one has money to spend, hence the program being cracked. On the other hand, if ESET says it doesn't phone home and doesn't hack people then what?

BTW, what do I keep repeating you mentioned in your first post? That both cracked version seem like they are virus's? If you look in the software section you can clearly see I stated ESET picked them up.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 05-02-2009 at 05:08 PM.
    [center]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast