Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 52 Most Dangerous Amercians

BANNED
    Interesting theory there Biggles. My dislike of the french is much less superficial than that, and includes many, many trips into and through France. When we used to drive down to Spain in the 60's, we always made sure we had enough petrol to get right through without stopping. As they say, "nice country, pity it's full of frogs"

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Lol

As a Scot I can't say I have have ever had a problem. I have stayed with French friends and had a fantastic time. They really put themselves out to ensure we had a good time.

When my daughter was little she went behind their wood burning stove and came out absolutely covered in soot. They all started getting excited in that typically Gallic way and said don't move. I naturally equally yelled don't move as I didn't want her to get soot over everything. They ran off (I assumed to get a hose or at least a biological containment suit) only to be dumbfounded when they returned with cameras. To their delight she played to the camera beautifully and I made a mental note to never to get a wood burning stove.

My experience of the French is that they are cool.

Incidently when I worked in the S. West of England I was warned never to go to pig island (Wales) as they were horrible. However, we went and as we tried to stop for a pub lunch our 1 year old became fractious and it was really difficult. The barmaid came over and took him outside to a small kids area and played with him so we could get peace. We decided the Welsh were only horrible if you were English.

There would appear to be a trend here
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Originally posted by Biggles@27 September 2003 - 12:14
      Those naughty French people - they have such a zany sense of humour.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Was the real "Biggles" French?????

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes

Difficult to say - what is the etymology of Bigglesworth?

I just don't get the "a whole country is bad" thing. But I am not an advocate of PCism either so I can see the humour latent in stereotyping. Which is why I thought Billy's quote was funny.

No doubt there is one of those for most countries. As the bard said (our one, not Shakespere) "Ah the gift some power would give us, to see ourselves as others see us". Apologies, rough translation into modern English by me, in case any purists see red and set haggis bombs under my car.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    BANNED
    I've also met nice French people Biggles, of course I have, and as you say, generalisations can be funny.

I must say though, I have had bad experiences too. I lived in Goa for a few years in the early 80's, we residents were an international lot. Between us, we put on a party every few days, and everyone chipped in to help, German lights, American DJ, English PA, and so on. But not the French, no cooperation, in fact, often the opposite, they would sometimes put one on in opposition to yours, give away free acid or something, just to fuck you up.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Not to get back OT, but I have been informed I was in the running for the "two-of-clubs", but lost out in a run-off to L. Brent Bozell, III.

Oh, well-

If only I had not been off-line for so long........
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    BANNED
    Originally posted by j2k4@29 September 2003 - 05:47
    Not to get back OT, but I have been informed I was in the running for the "two-of-clubs", but lost out in a run-off to L. Brent Bozell, III.

Oh, well-

There ... and here's me thinking you were the queen of hearts!

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean+29 September 2003 - 03:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Billy_Dean &#064; 29 September 2003 - 03:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@29 September 2003 - 05:47

Oh, well-

There ... and here&#39;s me thinking you were the queen of hearts&#33;

[/b][/quote]
    I could have been KING&#33;
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Be Afraid you bastards. We still got that:

with the instructions to use it:

And that:

An anonymous french terrorist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12