Thread: Scan My Ports

Poster
    WTF?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    4play's Avatar knob jockey

i think they managed to stealth the conversation they had

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by exeus+29 September 2003 - 20:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (exeus @ 29 September 2003 - 20:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-4play@30 September 2003 - 02:30
    it has just added a feature that will tell you which service and what version of software you are running. in the wrong hands this is very dangerous
    there have been scanners eg Languard that have done that for years.... [/b][/quote]
    Langaurd does exactly as the name implies. It can scan remote host. But its primary function is to do internel network scans on a "lan"

Ive used langaurd and it works absolutely great on your lan. But when it comes to scanning remote host its just a typical port scanner and most of the features dont apply unless your using it on your lan.

Nmap is much more extensive than that and is designed specifically for remote scanning.
    So specifically for that meaning it does not let you scan 127.0.0.1 or conduct scans on localhost, it will but you cant put 127.0.0.1 in the input box, only your external ip. It prefers an actual external ip address or one on the net to scan and it can do wonderous things provided you know how to use it accordingly.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@30 September 2003 - 03:21
    Langaurd does exactly as the name implies.&nbsp; It can scan remote host.&nbsp; But its primary function is to do internel network scans on a "lan"

Ive used langaurd and it works absolutely great on your lan.&nbsp; But when it comes to scanning remote host its just a typical port scanner and most of the features dont apply unless your using it on your lan.
    .........it works the same on the Internet as it does a Lan.....and a typical port scanner does not have a dictionary or brute force attack....

EDIT: also i wasnt saying Languard was best scanner just that it had those functions years ago

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by exeus+29 September 2003 - 21:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (exeus @ 29 September 2003 - 21:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@30 September 2003 - 03:21
    Langaurd does exactly as the name implies.&nbsp; It can scan remote host.&nbsp; But its primary function is to do internel network scans on a "lan"

Ive used langaurd and it works absolutely great on your lan.&nbsp; But when it comes to scanning remote host its just a typical port scanner and most of the features dont apply unless your using it on your lan.
    .........it works the same on the Internet as it does a Lan.....and a typical port scanner does not have a dictionary or brute force attack....

EDIT: also i wasnt saying Languard was best scanner just that it had those functions years ago [/b][/quote]
    Half of the stuff it performs is impossible from outside the lan.

Like getting network share infromation, netbios, and a bunch of other info that most of the time can only be retrieved if your getting it from a box on your lan or on the actual network.

As for brute or dictionary attack. It only uses common passwords like administrator, guest, etc. Thats not brute force, brute force exaust all remedies in regard to password cracking and can take days or weeks to accomplish. For brute force you dont need a password or userlist because it uses an algorithm method, but for a dictionary attack you do. "Brutus" is a good brute force app made for that purpose only. Langaurd doesnt even let you put in your own password list.

For example: If you had three boxes on your lan and you wanted to map a drive on one those boxes, you could do it if your on the lan.

If Im remotely trying to map your network drive or using a tool like langaurd to do it then its probably not going to work.. Thats why they call it "langaurd". Some companies may have hundreds of boxes on a lan and running an app like langaurd on the network can be really helpful. But if you tried to run langaurd on a network that you dont belong to then it would yeild meaningless results.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@30 September 2003 - 04:06
    Half of the stuff it performs is impossible from outside the lan.

Like getting network share infromation, netbios, and a bunch of other info that most of the time can only be retrieved if your getting it from a box on your lan or on the actual network.

As for brute or dictionary attack. It only uses common passwords like administrator, guest, etc. Thats not brute force, brute force exaust all remedies in regard to password cracking and can take days or weeks to accomplish. For brute force you dont need a password or userlist because it uses an algorithm method, but for a dictionary attack you do. "Brutus" is a good brute force app made for that purpose only. Langaurd doesnt even let you put in your own password list.

For example: If you had three boxes on your lan and you wanted to map a drive on one those boxes, you could do it if your on the lan.

If Im remotely trying to map your network drive or using a tool like langaurd to do it then its probably not going to work.. Thats why they call it "langaurd". Some companies may have hundreds of boxes on a lan and running an app like langaurd on the network can be really helpful. But if you tried to run langaurd on a network that you dont belong to then it would yeild meaningless results.
    maybe they have changed it then cos when i used to use it it did connect to shares it did brute force win 95 win 98 machines but nt you had to use a dictionary on i havnt used a new vertion so prob you are right then

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i dont think it will tell you what services are actually running if found open either.
    it just looks at the port number and says what normaly uses that port.

while the new nmap will tell you what service and version number. then again it is a new feature and im not sure how accurate it is.

still languard was an excellent tool for securing my lan.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster
    Brutus >>

125 pounds&#33;&#33; getting washed at the car wash, the only place large enough to wash this beast.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by zapjb@30 September 2003 - 02:16
    Who else is totally stealth?
    I unplugged my network cable, that stealthy enuff?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by balamm@29 September 2003 - 21:17
    Brutus >>

125 pounds&#33;&#33; getting washed at the car wash, the only place large enough to wash this beast.
    What kind of wax does he like?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast