Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Too Scared To Post On This Forum.

Aberrant
    Originally posted by Jackstermj@1 October 2003 - 09:25
    Yeah of course we are...and it does get better as we go along

It's nice to be part of a forum!!
    Exactly.... and it's also a good idea not to try publically challenging a mod.... especially yer first few weeks on the board.
    • I don't mean you of course luv.
    And I do wish we'd see more of you here.... this is a fun place too!

@ stupid - Down boy.... Jacks is already spoken for.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    I don't mind being new and feeling my way around, which I've been doing for weeks, but some of these people on here are over the top. How many others do you think post once, or just read and decide it's not worth getting beaten up for, and go find a friendlier forum?

Surely the more experienced posters here could at least be a little patient with newcomers, isn't the point to encourage more people here so we're not listening to the same half dozen dominant personalities babble on?

ilw, I'm wondering if you have some sort of a problem with women? You can talk to me, I'm very understanding.

(Thank you Cel, for STFU with teh is there a copyright?)

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Originally posted by AussieSheila@2 October 2003 - 01:34
    (Thank you Cel, for STFU with teh is there a copyright?)
    Of course not...anything for my fellow Australians (its Australian Copyrighted)

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Poster

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Aberrant
    Hey stupid.... Metro's always lookin for someone to love.... why don't you hook up wif him!

6. Lounge   -   #36
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I see this as a problem of perception.

Without attempting to speak for anyone else, I would say some of these types of complaints are due to a deficit in debate skills.

Although we are not as stodgy as some believe (the level of wit and humor on display is surpassing), we are attempting to seriously debate and discuss: We are not to be confused with a bunch of drunken louts in a pub-nothing against "pub" debates, but we generally try to operate on a higher plane than your average "barstool spat". We don't think the standard is too high.

Many who "drop in", who are not serious about discussing issues, throw out opinions and are not prepared to engage in the verbal gymnastics necessary to defend or justify what they say.

Many seem to approach the process (yes, it is a process) thinking they are prepared to debate, yet reveal themselves as "feelers of emotion" rather than willing to practice logic and reason, which are the only tools (other than facts) allowed on the field.

This is not to say other views are not welcome or relevant-many of our "disputes" would be stultifyingly (See? There I go again) dry and circular if not for the occasional injection of humanity.

I empathize with those who bemoan the length of some threads, and the difficulty of reading adequately so as to expound coherently, but that is a bit of a requirement.

Those of us who pose (yes, yes, it happens; it's happening now, in fact) as knowledgeable sorts put in our time reading, researching and exploring in order that we might opine in an in-depth fashion (though we dispute each other's preparedness constantly).

We do want others to partake, but would prefer that those who so choose invest a bit of their intellectual property when doing so-debate is not easy, and those who try to do it cheaply suffer for it, generally.

On a slightly different note, I will confess to being overly verbose and seemingly possessed of arrogant mien; I will admit to the first, but to those who take the time to get acquainted, I am kind of cuddly (or so I've been told).

To conclude:

Don't let your emotions ride herd on your brain; it doesn't make for good posting in "World Events".
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Poster
    Originally posted by titey@1 October 2003 - 15:42
    Hey stupid.... Metro's always lookin for someone to love.... why don't you hook up wif him!
    :x no thanks

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Aberrant
    Well.... there's always j2k4.... he's very "cuddly" (or so he portends).

9. Lounge   -   #39
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    Originally posted by Celerystalksme@1 October 2003 - 15:37

Of course not...anything for my fellow Australians (its Australian Copyrighted)
    Thanks sweetie, can tell you're an Aussie.

And thanks for your welcome, Media Slayer, I'll try not to stuff up too badly.

(I am an Aussie, there ain't no guarantee&#33

Stupid Guy? Yup. Thanx!

Oh, and while I'm at it, J2K4? I feel unworthy!

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Poster
    Originally posted by titey@1 October 2003 - 15:48
    Well.... there's always j2k4.... he's very "cuddly" (or so he portends).
    whatever

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast