Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: System Shutdown

Poster
    interesting topic! the same thing happened to me last week! this system will shut down in 60 secs msg.... funny thing is i did the following : all microsoft updates ,norton antv with all updates done 2 virus scans online, did 3 diff. trojan scans -2 online ,one with swatit .check reg could not find msblast anywhere,got the msblast patch weeks before anything happened.i have a neat freeware thing installed (dcombobulater from steve gibson -this prog blocks the whole raw sockets problem -thats how the msblast worm attacks the computer ,this can be found at grc.com .so what could this be?????????????

i tried to do system restore but that did not work, it only happened once -the shut down and since then nothig else has happened and i am 24-7 online !

so any ideas ?
    Open your mind

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    did you do a Ctrl Alt Del just before it happened?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    Originally posted by exeus@2 October 2003 - 17:15
    did you do a Ctrl Alt Del just before it happened?
    no i did not it happened by itself ! i was really shocked

i also got the msg : the remote maschine bla bla like the first guy mentioned ,what does this have to do with windows nt btw as i have xp pro ?
    Open your mind

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    winodws xp is built on win nt technology

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    Originally posted by exeus@2 October 2003 - 17:29
    winodws xp is built on win nt technology
    aha that explains that btw i am doing another online scan at the moment and i will change my virus prog in the next couple of days just in case norton can't find anything ! who knows maybe avg will find something!

one intersting side note though ,couple of days back i went to my bios and changed my gh ,is possible to overclock by setting neu value ,i just changed it to 2.1 gh maybe thats got to do something with it . well it did not work well so i changed it back to the original setting and since then nothing else has happened -no resets and the like

edit :when i open the task manager i see a file: helpsvc.exe .
    this file has been one the last 2 weeks or so ,hasn't done this before and i don't have any help progs running at the moment so what could this be ? have checked to see where it is though : windows :pchealth:helpctr:binaries
    Open your mind

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    it is possible that the CPU was cracking it and causeing probs

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by exeus@2 October 2003 - 17:45
    it is possible that the CPU was cracking it and causeing probs
    but i only changed it by 100 mh .is that enough to cause probs ?and i did get that msg that the pc was shutting down in 60 secs!

edit :hey hey hey just got my 1 star changed to 3 stars hurrah!!!!
    Open your mind

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster
    Originally posted by nanotek@2 October 2003 - 17:51
    edit :hey hey hey just got my 1 star changed to 3 stars hurrah!!!!
    congrats
    when it comes to overclocking it is hard to say i mens sometimes a small increase in CPU speed may push other components to far it all depends on motherboard bios cpu ect....

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Poster
    Originally posted by exeus+2 October 2003 - 18:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (exeus @ 2 October 2003 - 18:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nanotek@2 October 2003 - 17:51
    edit :hey hey hey&nbsp; &nbsp; just got my 1 star changed to 3 stars hurrah&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    congrats
    when it comes to overclocking it is hard to say i mens sometimes a small increase in CPU speed may push other components to far it all depends on motherboard bios cpu ect.... [/b][/quote]
    thnkx could be your right ,the explorer was taking forever to load pages from the internet and sometimes freezing as well&#33;
    Open your mind

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123