Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: btmusic's invites

Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by pretend View Post
    Stats can be altered, but not actual data transfer limited.
    Ok I forgot about this post so major bumpage, but that is the most stupid argument I have ever heard.

The problem with overseeding isn't that people can't upload enough data, because of fast users. The problem is that they don't get enough upload credit, because of fast users.
    Last edited by Night0wl; 09-27-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added quote

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    pretend's Avatar Is this it? BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Night0wl View Post
    Ok I forgot about this post so major bumpage, but that is the most stupid argument I have ever heard.
    Why? This is not an argument, this is a fact. I didn't say overseeding can't be dealt with altering numbers instead of limiting actual amount of data transfered, I just understood (or misunderstood) previous posts as proposal to limit actual data.

Tell me how you see that math on up/dl stats? User with fat pipe can give 3x, or 10x, but his uploaded stats after that will be no more 3x? Slow-speeders can up 0.8x, or 0, but they all be given extra amount of upload?
    Any ways of giving extra amount of up to people who does not actually upload will result in more people hit-and-running or limiting up speed to something like 2kbps. It's no way good.

I'm not implying on anything, nor saying it's impossible to do more clever way then described above, however I'm not quite understand how do you propose to manipulate stat numbers without destroying whole purpose of ratio system. And I'd be glad if someone took one's time to clarify it to me.

Regards
    Last edited by pretend; 09-27-2009 at 04:23 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I'll gladly take a moment to clarify.

On a torrent that's not overseeded a system like the one I proposed will make zero difference. In fact it can even be made to only be activated if certain criteria are filled e.g. only active on torrents less than 1 month, so people who keep things alive for ages will be rewarded properly for doing that.

Also it can take into account that it only awards the ratio over 3.0 to users, who have actually reported to the tracker that they are seeding the torrent in a specific time period E.g if you snatched the torrent and have reported activity within the last 3 days you get awarded the overseeded ratio, if not then you get none of it. And if the only seeder, who has been active within the 3 day period is the user, who has the above 3.0 ratio, then he gets all the upload.

You say destroy the whole purpose of the ratio system. What exactly do you see as the purpose of a ratio system? If the purpose is to have anyone without a seedbox or fiber fighting for dear life or get banned for low ratio, then yes. If you see the ratio system as a way to encourage seeding and speeds, then it doesn't in any way destroy it.

As the system is right now, with overseeding rules, the fast users will in many case just delete the torrent from the client, which in turn will have bad effects on seeding and speeds. Many users on fast pipes don't seed solely for getting a large buffer, and those who do shouldn't be awarded for it.

The system I propose would eliminate all worries fast users have about overseeding. And good riddance to the ones, who only seed for large buffers.

Edit: There will always be assholes, who take advantage of the system, no matter what the system is, so the limiting of upload is a mute point. Also if users start limiting their upload any, leftover upload above 3.0 ratio will not be enough to keep them afloat.

Lets make a small example. 5 seeders, 1 fast, 3 slow but not limiting their upload, 1 limits the upload. a 500MB torrent, which is fitting for the FLAC sites.

1. Has already a 3.0 ratio just for seeding the swarm
    2., 3. and 4. have seeded 0.3 each
    5. who limited his/her upload has 0.1

Now a leecher comes along.

1. uploads 400MB but gets nothing in return but the joy of sharing
    2., 3. and 4. have seeded 30MB each, because they didn't limit their upload + 100MB each from 1.
    5. uploaded 10MB + 100MB from 1.

----
    With the system
    1. has 3.0 ratio
    2., 3. and 4. have 0.56 ratio
    5. has 0.32 ratio

Without the system
    1. has 3.8
    2., 3. and 4. have 0.36 (but not for lack of trying)
    5. has 0.12
    ----

Who would you think gets booted for low ratio first in both cases?
    Last edited by Night0wl; 09-27-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345