Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are Members Worth? (WAMW)

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    but an education will better prepare you for life (assuming serious study).
    True to a point but as someone whose got a couple of degrees floating around and I can tell you it's the process of education and not any particular knowledge that prepares you for life.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I didn't even bother to read this .. hmm i'm lvl 1 never read the rules

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    realityhd,

1. Yes, I tried to use the "level" system that people are (overly) familiar with.
    2. I am afraid you are (possibly) correct. You never know the background of the person you are engaging. They could be brilliant, they could just be someone with an opinion.
    3. That is why I have asked for the community's help. A lot of new members come here an get fixated on becoming "elite". I am trying to give people who want to be an integral part of the community a road map. I believe it will be beneficial for individuals (who care) to ask themselves what they bring to the table.
    4. I have only been here for about 4 months. I have even referred to myself recently as a NOOB. What I meant by the "academic street fight" was that there are not the same rules of conduct that you would have in an academic environment. No professor to bail you out; no knowledge if your "opponent" is a history buff who watched the Discovery Channel a lot, or someone with a PhD.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 08-13-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: changed respons to #2. Was in an argument and irritated. Changed for fairness.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    True to a point but as someone whose got a couple of degrees floating around and I can tell you it's the process of education and not any particular knowledge that prepares you for life.
    Now I can see it from the other side of the coin as I left school with very few qualifications. My sister on the other hand was in full time education until she was 22 and like you, had qualifications coming out of here ear-holes. Did this prepare her for life - no way. Although I'm only a few years older than her the difference in our knowledge of and attitude to life was light years apart. Of course each person is different and some mature and adapt quicker than others but sometimes education can closet you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    Fortunately, I haven't progressed to 10b) as I have no wish to put my body through a gender change operation (the cost is prohibitive, apparently).
    I have a sharp knife and 2 bricks if you would like to progress that little further.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    but an education will better prepare you for life (assuming serious study).
    I could tell that you are highly educated, IdolEyes. I cannot tell exactly what you have studied, but I do know that you know a lot. I would not want to play Trivial Pursuit with you. Your comment about Dostoevsky is a good example of your desire to learn. I would put you in the "well rounded" category. You can most likely spot others who have been formally educated as well. It isn't necessary to carry your degrees with you. I believe that a good education shows through in everything that one does. That is, unless they ignore what they have learned...
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Swepsycho's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    u have nothing to do mega? go read book...

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Zip's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    A level 7 member is more worth than a level 5 member. This is discrimination.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Megabyteme, you put alot of thought into your post (as all of yours do), but I really have to ask you this.

What's the purpose of this list? Whats it supposed to accomplish?
    Last edited by Rart; 08-13-2009 at 02:47 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    What's the purpose of this list? Whats it supposed to accomplish?
    To get people to stop thinking about how great it would be to be part of one of the "elite" trackers and start thinking about what they actually bring to this community. Some will care, others won't.

I thought it would at least give people something to think about and maybe do a self-assessment. Would they even fit in to one of these "elite" sites if given "their dream" invite?

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I think the site would honestly have to undergo some major revisions/purges before the majority of the members would really even read this unfortunately =/. It's a little too idealist for most people.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast