Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 is coming: Don't upgrade

kooltilldend's Avatar One n Only BT Rep: +2
    well i'll need to grab a new laptop/desktop before i hit this upgrade for sure

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    I thought the main post was about Upgrading as compaired to a Fresh Install, if so many of your comments to this point are irrelevant. Upgrading can really slow an old machine down even if the new OS is faster. In my opinion, a fresh install is preferable over an upgrade any time. But since the upgrade versions of Win7 are $100 cheaper than their retail counterparts, many people will go that route anyway. At least with Vista you could install an upgrade version clean, without entering your serial, and then install it again over itself to accomplish a clean install with an upgrade disk.
    Unfortunately Win7 will not allow that since you must activate the first install prior to installing the second. that means I can install it over previous OS's but not itself.

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    well i won't even try a fresh install on my laptop...i mean my laptop's not that old but the ram (1gb) is a sticking thorn

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by kooltilldend View Post
    well i won't even try a fresh install on my laptop...i mean my laptop's not that old but the ram (1gb) is a sticking thorn
    Eh, I installed Win7 on a desktop with an Athlon XP with 1 gb of ram, it ran fine. Hell, people have had a lot of success installing win7 on netbooks.

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kooltilldend View Post
    well i'll need to grab a new laptop/desktop before i hit this upgrade for sure
    No need, it runs on (almost) minimal hardware.

I saw a thread on SevenForums about a guy who ran Win7 on AMD Athlon XP 1500 and 512MB of RAM (32bit OS)

http://www.sevenforums.com/performan...-told-you.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachmen...u-windows7.png
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

6. News (Archive)   -   #16
    hmm well mine's probably a spec or two above those (Pentium M 1.73ghz, Nvidia 6200, 1gb ram laptop)...but I dunno, I just have a gut feeling that if I install it, I'll end up facing a lot of slow-downs

hmmm its tempting though
    Last edited by kooltilldend; 10-20-2009 at 11:18 AM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #17
    goopka's Avatar Poster
    So, the biggest point in the OP's argument is that you'll buy the software now and then buy it again bundled with your new computer one day, wasting money.

I have to say, though, that manufacturers are increasingly making it an option to *not* bundle a Windows OEM with your purchase. Lenovo, for instance, allows you to remove the OEM and just have DOS shipped on your machine and you can subract I think it was $130 U.S. So, in that case you may as well buy it now since you could potentially upgrade hardware without rebuying the OS.

And, at any rate, I use Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and it's most definitely their best OS to date, and runs quite well on modest hardware.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12