Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does going No-Ratio really help peer activity?

b3owulf's Avatar facepalm.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    Come to think of it, I wonder what would happen if the usergroups were removed alltogether at say FTN. I bet the peers number would drop. I mean FTN is great, but some people are still there for the epen and if being a Hero increases it, then so be it.
    I think this idea is definitely worth implementing! Honestly, members' e-penis conists of several things: ratio, upload amount, usergroups.

What FTN member has? GB uploaded and usegroup. But if usegroups will be removed there won't any point in having huge upload amount since only staff can view this number AFAIK.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    I personally love no ratio. I download far more then my upstream can handle. I rent a seedbox most of the time but not all the time. So I can download whatever I want with seedbox or my home connection. I think no ratio trackers need good pretimes to attract seedboxes for overall speed.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Swepsycho's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    more poepl leech...

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    What can you say about PTN? Is it successful as a ratio-free tracker?

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    That's probably because the members are invested in the tracker.
    Personally I'm less likely to abuse things I have some appreciation/respect for than things I don't.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    In the context of the OP, PtN has to deal with the same problems every ratioless tracker has to deal with all of which have been stated already in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Megabyteme
    It seems there are 2 kinds of users who look for ratio-free sites.

1) Adults who appreciate being trusted and treated like adults. These members like to give back (and probably then some)and like being part of a thriving, prospering community.

2) Immature kids. They act like kids, need to be treated like kids, and don't have a clue what community means. When the site goes to shit, they say, "lame" and keep moving on...

I don't think that there is an inherent failing in the ratio-less site philosophy. The problem(s) occur when too many "kids" are allowed to play in the "adult" world.

I think this post says alot about what keeps any ratio free site going, and hell, it even follows for ratio enforcing sites in my opinion. Our goal when we thought up the whole total traffic system was to try to take a new tack on how to approach the leech factor.

The problem always boils down to the whole "give em an inch" aspect of human nature. When given latitude most people will take the easiest route, and it never ceases to amaze me that people seem to think that with all the leech friendly aspects of our site they can just ignore the basic ideas behind the BT protocol.

Here's the really funny thing, alot of the best users PtN gets are people that aren't "celebrities" in BT, just people that heard about us and wanted to check it out. Those are the folks that actually read the rules and FAQ, and learn what is expected of them at our site. That's not meant to be a knock on all the familiar names, just an observation of who actually values the site.
    Last edited by Intr4ns1t; 09-11-2009 at 08:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Intr4ns1t View Post
    In the context of the OP, PtN has to deal with the same problems every ratioless tracker has to deal with all of which have been stated already in this thread.

1) Adults who appreciate being trusted and treated like adults. These members like to give back (and probably then some)and like being part of a thriving, prospering community.

2) Immature kids. They act like kids, need to be treated like kids, and don't have a clue what community means. When the site goes to shit, they say, "lame" and keep moving on...

I don't think that there is an inherent failing in the ratio-less site philosophy. The problem(s) occur when too many "kids" are allowed to play in the "adult" world.

I think this post says alot about what keeps any ratio free site going, and hell, it even follows for ratio enforcing sites in my opinion. Our goal when we thought up the whole total traffic system was to try to take a new tack on how to approach the leech factor.

The problem always boils down to the whole "give em an inch" aspect of human nature. When given latitude most people will take the easiest route, and it never ceases to amaze me that people seem to think that with all the leech friendly aspects of our site they can just ignore the basic ideas behind the BT protocol.

Here's the really funny thing, alot of the best users PtN gets are people that aren't "celebrities" in BT, just people that heard about us and wanted to check it out. Those are the folks that actually read the rules and FAQ, and learn what is expected of them at our site. That's not meant to be a knock on all the familiar names, just an observation of who actually values the site.
    Do you think that is due to the fact that a lot of tracker collectors ain't worried so much as long as they don't lose there account?
    I agree that people new to the private BT scene can make the best users as these people can be shown how you/your tracker want them to respect your place and even if they do move on in the future the chances are if it is their first private tracker it will always be treated with respect. This is where I think where part of the problem is, and yes I am probably guilty of this to some extent, once on a few trackers and read there rules and most have the same rules we think we know them all and thus take it we are in the right when we do as we do just about ever where else.
    Ok any one else have thoughts on that?
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Quote Originally Posted by Intr4ns1t View Post

^^ +1
    which begs the question as to why these very same people that choose to abuse PTNs system will loyally keep unto others like say FTNs.
    Just the other day it got so bad on one scene tracker that a warning had to be issued and by the language of it,it appeared as though it was inspired by these very same people that you are talking about.
    Its indeed true that beginners(the filenetworks/sharky recruits) end up making the best members on trackers and this probably explains the reason why demonoid is still around to date.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckater View Post
    Do you think that is due to the fact that a lot of tracker collectors ain't worried so much as long as they don't lose there account?
    I agree that people new to the private BT scene can make the best users as these people can be shown how you/your tracker want them to respect your place and even if they do move on in the future the chances are if it is their first private tracker it will always be treated with respect. This is where I think where part of the problem is, and yes I am probably guilty of this to some extent, once on a few trackers and read there rules and most have the same rules we think we know them all and thus take it we are in the right when we do as we do just about ever where else.
    Ok any one else have thoughts on that?
    Regarding your first question, I think it boils down to learning the "ropes" and how to maintain an account you wouldn't otherwise need or want. All us experienced torrenters know the little tricks like cross/pre-seeding, borrowing a seedbox to buffer, logging in once a month or w/e. New folks don't know those tricks, so they do as directed of all things

Part of the problem at PtN, is the vast majority of people just do not understand how things work in our system. They are so used to HAVING to seed as much as they can as quickly as they can because that's the only way to gain status at your traditional ratio free site. I get PM's all the time telling me there is a bug in the system that is giving them too much upload, and they fail to realize that the upload and download all counts toward their promotions and what have you. That factor serves to bolster your point, duckater, that many people read a few sets of rules and presume they are fairly universal. That isn't always the case.

To be honest, the most valuable members to me are the guys with the TB's downloaded, as much, if not more so than the folks with TB's uploaded, as those are the folks that truly appreciate what we are offering. After all, without leechers, what's the point?

At the end of the day, the struggle becomes how to stand out from the rest of the multitude of private trackers that keep popping up. That's why the "community" tracker was born.

Quote Originally Posted by sez View Post
    ^^ +1
    which begs the question as to why these very same people that choose to abuse PTNs system will loyally keep unto others like say FTNs.
    If you figure that one out, let me know
    Last edited by Intr4ns1t; 09-11-2009 at 09:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    BANNED
    [QUOTE=Intr4ns1t;3288213]

To be honest, the most valuable members to me are the guys with the TB's downloaded, as much, if not more so than the folks with TB's uploaded, as those are the folks that truly appreciate what we are offering. After all, without leechers, what's the point?[QUOTE=sez;3288211]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast