Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty In Us?

Poster
    Originally posted by ilw@5 October 2003 - 10:53
    What about mentally ill people, should they get free health care.
    if im not paying for it, then sure i dont care. but if its coming out of my pocket, no way!

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Originally posted by ilw@5 October 2003 - 01:53
    I think the point about them being in jail is that they can earn no money, so they can't pay for health insurance / anything else.
    True, they can't make any money while in prison, but I say that's the price they pay for making a bad life decision.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Originally posted by huuramis+5 October 2003 - 01:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (huuramis @ 5 October 2003 - 01:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ilw@5 October 2003 - 10:53
    if im not paying for it, then sure i dont care. but if its coming out of my pocket, no way&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Well you most likely would be paying for it. In the US operations for prisoners as of now comes from citizens tax dollars.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    so what about their food and water, your paying for that too? What about if theres an outbreak of something? What about if someone falls and breaks his arm? Do you just leave it and permanently keep this person lame?
    Surely the penalty your supposed to be paying is the time spent without freedom, not some kind of greatly increased chance of death or injury.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    Australia doesn’t have the death penalty, and there have been times when I have wished we did. As in the case of Robert Lowe who murdered 6 year old Sheree Beasley by suffocation while forcing her to perform oral sex on him. He then dumped her body in a drain where another little girl found her months later. I thought for a long time that he should be put in a room full of mothers, and see how long he’d last. No weapons needed. Now I’m glad that he has had years to think about what he did, and even if he never shows any real remorse, which to my knowledge he hasn’t, to kill him would have been the easy way out for him.

The Port Arthur massacarist, I don’t say his name because his whole thing was that he was after fame, I am glad that he is getting the non-recognition he deserves, and that he has many, many years to think about what he did as well. Why should he die and have it all over with, while the families of his victims suffer endlessly?

Amrozi is the one that really brought it home to me. If he is executed, he dies a martyr, if he gets life in prison, he gets to go on ranting and raving and pretty soon the whole world will know what we already do. The man is nothing but a dickhead.

The other thing that turned me against the death penalty was the fact that, no matter what, I could not push the button that ended their lives.

I don’t mind some of my hard earned taxpayer dollars going towards long term punishment of these dregs of humanity.

*runs off to the safe and cosy nightclub*

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Originally posted by ilw@5 October 2003 - 02:02
    so what about their food and water, your paying for that too? What about if theres an outbreak of something? What about if someone falls and breaks his arm? Do you just leave it and permanently keep this person lame?
    Surely the penalty your supposed to be paying is the time spent without freedom, not some kind of greatly increased chance of death or injury.
    Food and water is ok with me as well as the things that are needed to keep them in good health. But when it gets to be something like a costly operation to help keep a person on death row alive or a sex change. Then I draw the line.

Both of those were actual events.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    In the case of death row people, perhaps you should be attacking the appeals process instead of attacknig the right of people not to suffer cruel and unusual punishment(ie enforced lack of healthcare). I was told that its more expensive to sentence someone to death than life imprisonment and that because of the appeals process most people on death row don&#39;t get executed (i dunno if thats changed)

As always a line has to be drawn, what would you consider &#39;necessary to keep them in good health&#39;, does psychological health matter?
    Should they be allowed a heart transplant (i saw this example earlier in the thread), or should they be left to die because they burgled people?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Ella's Avatar Upside down
    Originally posted by AussieSheila@5 October 2003 - 20:05
    The Port Arthur massacarist, I don’t say his name because his whole thing was that he was after fame, I am glad that he is getting the non-recognition he deserves, and that he has many, many years to think about what he did as well. Why should he die and have it all over with, while the families of his victims suffer endlessly?

I agree, AS. The most suitable punishment for that creature is to rot in jail for the term of his natural life - he always said he would hate to be locked up and actually wanted to die after the massacre. And worse luck for him - he was captured alive. What a dumb prick asshole he was.
    Up Yours! Love from The Club....

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I think the idea that prison is a holiday camp is something of an urban myth.

If it is so great why do criminals hire expensive lawyers to try and avoid going there? Why do they go through appeals processes once they are there?

Regardless of whether the beds may be relatively comfortable and the food ok, to my mind there would appear to be nothing but mind numbing boredom year after year.

The only people who actively seek imprisonment are those who cannot cope with uninstitutionalised life. Theirs is a mental health problem and they would happily go to hospital if allowed without commiting tedious acts of petty criminality and then hanging around to be caught.

I am curious as to why one or two people are comparing the cost of looking after the mentally ill and prisoners. Why not look at the cost of keeping everyone who is not working -i.e. the unemployed, the sick, the elderly, children. We could return to the early Victorian ethos of workhouses for the unemployed, cemetaries for the sick and old and the mines and factories for little children.

We live in a different world now - it is not possible to compartmentalise compassion. If you try to keep a segment of brutality it will inevitably leak across and poison other areas of social interaction. (At least that is my opinion )
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    internet.news
    in germany it is like this: if a person get a punishment for prison to stay
    in prison whole life, i think there is something like a jury who take
    care of this person and decides if after 20 years his or her behaviour is better.

But the person does not know how long the time in jail/prison would be, and
    because the person do not know the exact time, he or she will think of what
    he or she has done wrong and about the influence on the victims and so on...

thks.

thanks for sharing your thoughts openly :) nice dreams...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast