Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oc'ing Hurts Performance...

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    a really good place to find some info is forums.extremeoverclocking.com

this is a pirating forum. lol. no really, extreme overclocking will give u quite a lot of good answers. more than 70% of that forum's members have oced successfully before. try it. i go there for complicated hardware problems.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    LeGoMyFnLeg
    3d mark is only 1 measure and not highly regarded as an indicator of total system performance in a lot of circles.
    Check out some of the more mature overclocking sites and tutorials on the web and you'll see it's standard practice to increase core voltage.
    I see from your image that CPU performance was not included in these results at all. Athlons love a core increase, with 1.70V being standard, some have had great success with voltages as high as 2.10V. Heat and common sense are the limiting factors.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by adamp2p@5 October 2003 - 03:32
    Wow, that is a powerful score/machine! What's that dude get on Aquamark 3?
    he's not tried aquamark yet...he's still on 31.2k modem (he lives more in the middle of nowhere than i do), so the large download would take him hours to get
    i'm gonna burn it to disc and take it up to him sometime though, it'll be interesting to see what he can score in that...

@jamez_bond_rulez, my point was simply, why would you want to add more 'fuel' if you don't need it?
    adding too much is just as bad as adding too little...if the system can run 3dmark03 numerous times, it should be considered stable
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by LeGoMyFnLeg@5 October 2003 - 03:34
    I see from your image that CPU performance was not included in these results at all.
    the CPU core is shown in the asusprobe pic

when he comes back online, i&#39;ll get him to run some of the tests in Sandra...he&#39;s done a couple of the cpu load testers with no problems though

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    LeGoMyFnLeg
    I see it is just very slightly under powered. 5V, 3.3V, and core are all slightly below expected values while 12V is ok. At the temperatures indicated along with the low fan speed, something is not quite up to par. I think there might be a lot more potential being wasted with these figures and settings.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by LeGoMyFnLeg@5 October 2003 - 03:44
    I see it is just very slightly under powered. 5V, 3.3V, and core are all slightly below expected values while 12V is ok. At the temperatures indicated along with the low fan speed, something is not quite up to par. I think there might be a lot more potential being wasted with these figures and settings.
    i don&#39;t understand, what do you mean "not quite up to par"?
    surely the slight differences in the 3.3 and 5v rails is negligible?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    LeGoMyFnLeg
    Maybe but why not test that? All devices will have internal voltage regulation so that a slight increase will not hurt, but being limited in performance by a lack of available current would actually be harmful, possibly even resulting in more heat being produced as a result.
    Much as a standard car battery is nominally rated at 12V, in operation it is more like 15.5V.
    I would expect to see 3.3 at 3.5, 5 at 5.25, 12 at 12.50 and so on in a healthy system.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by LeGoMyFnLeg@4 October 2003 - 22:44
    low fan speed? his CPU is running up there, so its not stock either.

But, is the power fan actually for the power supply? Or is it just plugged into the port it is reading as that, because 1500 seems more like a low end case fan number.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@4 October 2003 - 19:09
    ok, a bit of an update...strangely enough, it seems to have been the agp frequency which was throwing things out...he&#39;s locked that to 66MHz and tried again.
    this time he got up to 5861, but he&#39;s still not happy...
    while reading the first post, i was just thinking "hmm... something else has got to be causing the problem, besides what he&#39;s mentioned." yeah, knocking the AGP bus speed outta whack oughta f*ck things up pretty good.

it&#39;s worth mentioning to your friend that 3DMark 2003 is essentially a video card benchmark. computers with low end CPUs achieve similar scores to computers with high end CPUs, when tested with the same video card. overclocking the CPU will not make nearly as much of a difference as overclocking the video card in that test. he should try other benchmarks, if he really wants to measure the effect of CPU overclocking. 3DMark 2001 is much more of an overall system test, for example.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Is overclocking all done through the BIOS? Do you raise the AGP bus to increase it...and the CPU bus to increase that? is it really that easy?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast