Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Racism + Rush Limbaugh

Hello,
    I live in the US, too. Yet it seems the cretin is from another planet entirely
    You know, I've done everything I can (within reason) to promote racial harmony in my tiny corner of the world - but it's a question of enduring solidarity, not an overnight solution.
    In the course of my travels I've learned that everyone regardless of race, religion, color is just as guilty of prejudice, bigotry and bias. I think partly what the idiot who began this thread was trying to get at was that the scales are kind of tipped in the US at this point in time. Yes, some minorities feel they are still not treated equally under the law - but I believe a majority of whites feel they are treated worse. This concept can seem stunning to people, after all the history of bigotry here (natives, slavery, segragation,etc) how could whites actually feel mistreated? Well, you might not know there's been a bit of a "backlash" of sorts, and now the scales have been tipped the other way (according to many). For instance, we have very strict laws about colleges being diversified, we have affirmitive action, and a "pc" media. The "race" card is so powerful here in courts and media that it is effective sometimes even when there has been no misdeed. A few (who shame the rest) will bring up the race issue at times it is totally irrelevant. The other thing I think cretin would have liked to get at is that, while the quarterback thing might seem strange, there are some other weird things that give it a bit (but not much) credit - I don't have the numbers off hand so these are just approxomations, ok?
    -> About 60% of NFL players are black. About 10% of US citizens are black. Now, if this had been the other way around, there'd be a wide controversy over it. Yet think about what these approxomations suggest. 10% make up 60%.

The other thing that needs to be mentioned is, I think Rush Limbaugh is a moron, he's way too conservative for me, he supports GW Bush whose policies I despise, and I think he is a liar. The one thing, however, I do not think he is, is a racist. I think he really meant what he said, I don't believe his opinion was right, but he did mean it. And I think He should be allowed to say it, after all, a black media member might make an opinion about the white population and he would not get in trouble for it (I know this bc I've seen and heard it plenty of times, even if you just take a look at comedians like Chris Rock, DL Hughley, Steve Harvey - their routines are engrossed with humour about whites. There are also rappers who poke fun at whites) My point is - so long as it doesn't threaten anyone - I feel that all people should be allowed to say what's on their mind. I don't have to agree with what they are saying, but they should still be allowed to say it.

Bigots and facists don't discriminate on which shell to live in, they take the form of any man or any woman, white, black, red, brown, yellow... christian, jew, atheist, muslim because they know hate is universal. And you can't do a damn thing to elimate hate and intolerance in the world, but you can do one thing, eliminate in yourself.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I have to say that you have made, for me, a very good point here.

Discrmination IS universal, and not just white v black.

Within a couple of miles of myself there is more trouble with Pakistani's v Indians than any other kind of "racial" discrimination.......It is racism in the wider context of the word, if not the true meaning.

As you said, the only way to combat discrimination is to create a level playing field... this will not happen as long as "positive" discrimination is allowed, as this pisses off the (in my case) white majority, and directly has the opposite effect to that intended. Increasing ill feeling, rather than diminishing it..

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    Personally i think ALL worldminority's should be banned from this earth!!!

All gay people:

That way our theaters would not be so crowded, our clothing would be much more simple, our food less fancy, our lives less colourfull........etc.

All negro's:So we can run all major worldrecords over again, build america allover again without slavery, have no starvation in africa, etc., wouldn't have to listen yo all that soul..........

All Latino's& hispanics:
    So we have some rainforest left, won't have to dance the salsa, have lot less cocaine to consume , can delete a big part of our history, etc.

All Criminals:

Oops, that's not a minority..........

All Extreme Right Wing IGMORANTS:

I know: This one 's too obvious.........

Etc, etc,

Any more suggestions for that nicely deserted isle called Earth???

Yogi

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    And you can&#39;t do a damn thing to elimate hate and intolerance in the world, but you can do one thing, eliminate it in <span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>yourself. </span>
    And spread that very good feeling of tolerance&#33;&#33;

Thank you.

Amen.

Yogi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234