Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who invented the term "elite tracker"?

Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Irony.

My post is purportedly redundant but you reiterate the point that it was the WTAW, which it either was or wasn't, depending on how you feel about the chicken or the egg conundrum.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Contemptuous sarcasm .

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    :insert smiley of choice:

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollinThunder View Post
    Everything I'm about to post was related to me directly from a sysop of a major tracker who was in fact involved in the relevant negotiation. In or about December 2007, a meeting was held in #sys0p on EfNet. The purpose of said meeting was to determine a precise arrangement of tracker rarity and specialization. It was at that meeting that, among other things, for example the decision of SCT and SCC to create a false competition for pretimes in order to maximize the number of mutual users as well as the decision to go halfsies on a small hosting company known as OVH, which was then used to promote the usage of seedboxes and increase the competition among the userbase), the term "elite" was chosen in a vote of 5-2 with the other options discussed by the committee being "1337", "select", "exclusive" and the wordy "creme de la creme" proposed by the only sysop from Quebec.

The term elite or 1337 trackers was being used b4 dec 2007 so I dont think there is any validity in most of this post
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    If necessary I will produce logs.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    kallieb's Avatar Spamaholic BT Rep: +4
    Bluntly put, and some might say harshly, the bittards are responsible for the term as applied to certain trackers. As posted above, elitism grew from some sites just wanting their security to be tight. Such security resulted in certain measures which prevented randon passerby's in BT land from joining up the site. The trackers also created rules on usage of accounts and such - again as a means to ensure safety for the members by adding an additional layer of security. From that need for security generated the fallacy of "specialness" and eventually "elitism".
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollinThunder View Post
    If necessary I will produce logs.
    Your logs may be right but the term 1337 was being used more than 2 1/2 yrs ago that I am 100% sure of.

I am sure some others here will have herd that term b4 dec 2007 as well
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Perhaps that's why it won the vote handily. But you have to realize that the meeting in general was about how the sites were going to brand themselves, so a discussion of the general category is not unimaginable.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrauploader View Post
    So, many of these trackers most of you guys consider "elite" don't consider themselves that
    just because they say so doesn't mean it is.
    ...learn to see...write...read...
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Yoann64's Avatar El Niño Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    ...learn to see...write...read...
    © Swepsycho
    this sentence has a copyright !!!
    Bienvenida Mamacita - I'm in ruta Babylon - Bienvenida La Juana - Tequila, sexo, marihuana. (M.Chao)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast