Thread: Yahoo Apologizes for ''Hack Day'' Lap Dancers

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Yahoo Apologizes for ''Hack Day'' Lap Dancers
    By Kevin Parrish, published on October 20, 2009

" Yahoo was flamed for providing lap dancers at a recent Hack Day event.

Ok, we'll admit it: some of us don't have any problems with scantily-clad lap dancers, and really don't see what the fuss is all about. However, it appears that there were many Web surfers and attendees who were taken aback by a recent demonstration during Yahoo's Open Hack Day event, and actually flamed the company for the unusual--if not uncomfortable--skin show.

Open Hack Day, held in Taiwan last weekend, is essentially a gathering of coders to create Web applications. Typically, attendees are entertained with performances by well-known musicians, however this time a few coders were pulled out of the audience and personally introduced to a few ladies--aka the Hack Girls--dressed in bras and mini-skirts.

But once images appeared on the Internet, Yahoo started to feel the heat, and eventually issued an apology. "I wanted to acknowledge the public reaction generated by the images of female dancers at our Taiwan Open Hack Day this past weekend," said Chris Yeh, head of the Yahoo Developer Network. "Our hack events are designed to give developers an opportunity to learn about our APIs and technologies. As many folks have rightly pointed out, the “Hack Girls” aspect of our Taiwan Hack Day is not reflective of that spirit or purpose. And it’s certainly not the message we want to send about our values here at Yahoo!"

He also added that Hack Days are about making everyone feel welcome, including women coders and technologists. "This incident is regrettable and we apologize to anyone that we have offended. Rest assured, it won’t happen again," he said.

"

Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Yahoo-Ha...news-4912.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    kooltilldend's Avatar One n Only BT Rep: +2
    lucky buggers lol

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    America would get alot more web developers if they got offered free lap dances as a perk... and I would be one of those people!

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I know i wouldn't mind being a coder that day.