Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should "culture" End At The Border?

Poster
    I remember when they tried to stop every one refering to "coloured" people as black....

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    There are many flaws/misconception about this article, as anyone can search and find out for themselves:
      • Muslim Dad slits girl's threat
    1. This is misconception and/or ignorant reporting, when someone slits his girl's threat, he is no longer a Muslim anymore. I've researched this same issue in the past and found nothing in that religion that allows anyone to do such action, however, I found a rule/law that forbids such action. The slit of a daughter's throat is a pre-Islam way of doing thing in Arabia. Some people have passed on that "Culture" mentality, yet most comprehended that the fact that this is simply wrong to do.
      • Kurdish
    2. "They claim to be descendants of the ancient Medes. Some speculate that they are descended from the Elamites or from the ten lost tribes of Israel. Jews did settle there from Assyrian times onwards, forming one of the oldest existing Jewish communities. Most of them emigrated to Israel after 1948." Not everyone that says I'm from this or that religion actually does represent the religion they follow. We have all seen it where a human does harm to someone else and the media continues to categorize that person as a follower of that religion. It's a headline grabber, selling point.
    This story caught the headlines for many reasons. Some of which are current events in Iraq, the Kurds idintity issue (don't have a country) & ISLAM.

As for the question of the topic, I suggest to say "People who cross the border of any country should recognize and obide by the laws of that country, otherwise don't cross"

EDIT: I just saw (came at the end of the store) on sattelite channel of a man (lawer) who will be released from prison soon in NY after killing a 6 yr old 16 years ago. The law in NY for such crime is if the prisonor has served 1/3 in "good bahviour" of time served, then they can be released. What's even more shoking is local NY TV channels are all after him to hire as their TV producer.
    SOURCE
    On Monday, Hoffman said his infamous client Joel Steinberg — convicted of first-degree manslaughter in the notorious 1987 death of his illegally adopted daughter, Lisa — would be hired to work for "New York Confidential" after Steinberg's possible release from prison this summer. Barrows was said to be featured in the first episode of "New York Confidential," scheduled to air next week.
    NATURAL BORN KILLER

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@8 October 2003 - 11:40
    On a lighter note, multi-culturalism can lead to some bizzare examples of political correctness. An example was the school in England that traditionally gave the kids hot-cross-buns at easter, this year the crosses were taken off, so as not too offend non-christians. It actually had the reverse effect, non-christians were outraged that people would think them so petty.

Such reports are few and far between, but heartening nonetheless.

I think actual incidents, as described, far out-number official reports of same; we have (as usual) the media to thank for this sad circumstance.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    BANNED
    Another custom that is rife in Britain is arranged marriages. Where a female is concerned, this is often little more than selling her. British female citizens fetch a very high price in India, her husband gets a passport, and can bring his immediate family into the UK. The Times of India is full of bride trades every day. In the UK, this happens to girls who were born and bred there, and are as British as anyone else, it's a huge problem for many of them, many of them have suicided.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    BANNED
    Edit: duplicate post.

Have a go here, you may find that perfect someone!

Matrimonial Webpages

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Poster
    Thanks to nikita it sounds like I posted something weird so now I gotta say the story... Well umong my asian friends apparently its known that old Indian/Bangladeshi men purchase girls in there early teens from poor families in there homeland and bring them over, and apparently British men partake in this also.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    both issues, BD & 12, that is sick.

btw, i've edited my post again (was having problems with the board) take a look at the links. Eventhough the convicted has a Jewish name, you won't see the headline with "Jewish man" or "Jewish prisoner".

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@8 October 2003 - 13:15
    Another custom that is rife in Britain is arranged marriages.  Where a female is concerned, this is often little more than selling her.  British female citizens fetch a very high price in India, her husband gets a passport, and can bring his immediate family into the UK.  The Times of India is full of bride trades every day.  In the UK, this happens to girls who were born and bred there, and are as British as anyone else, it's a huge problem for many of them, many of them have suicided.

Why don't we (the U.S., I mean) send a huge contingent of our "Feminists" to India and China to conduct a proper and well-deserved legal emasculation of the male hierarchies of both countries?

Surely the U.N. could get behind the idea?

I don't think this is too far OT.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    12, i wasn't saying "that is sick" to you or BD, both stories are sick. Also, this happens daily around the world in one too many countries.

btw, sometimes I don't quote people to give them the opprutinty for edit (if I know that they don't mean any harm/disrespect to anyone, like ur case & bd)

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    @j2k4 - This issue, at this moment, has no value to the current administration. besides, don't rule out this problem from America. There are many rings around the US with this same issue.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast