Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: To ban or not to ban...This is the Q..

The entire attitude that "i own a seedbox, i don't cheat, i don't sell invites or trade so i'm a good users and hence deserve a spot in any tracker i wish" is messed up.

just understand that you are a "guest" to private tracker and it'll make your torrent experience much easier. You do NOT deserve to be a member in any torrent sites. If you are part of one, be glad of it. Get that in your head by all means necessary. If you must, write that out in a piece of paper, cut your brain out, put the paper in, and seal your brain up.

2. BitTorrent   -   #62
    Yep. I suppose access to private trackers "is a privilege, not a right" and can "be revoked from you at any time".

3. BitTorrent   -   #63
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    If you need an explanation to cheat, take sites like ScT. There's a thread right on this board about how they reached 190MB/s, which is 9500 times my upload speed of 20kB/s. On my eyes, such sites simply don't need me to seed.
    That's not the point. The point is that you don't have a moral right to cheat. When you cheat, you send fake data to a tracker and it doesn't matter that some people have the upload speed that can reach 190 MB/sec.

4. BitTorrent   -   #64
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL View Post
    When you cheat, you send fake data to a tracker
    Nope, I just edit a base 10 integer sent in the query string. You can do this with just telnet and notepad, actually.

and it doesn't matter that some people have the upload speed that can reach 190 MB/sec.
    I think it does. They can make up for this "damage" my leeching does in literally seconds.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. BitTorrent   -   #65
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    you don't have a moral right to cheat.
    This again.

You are a pirate. You are on this board specifically because you don't abide by the morality rules set in place by society; and go as far as downloading material illegally to ignore those rules. Who do you think you are determining what other people's moral impediments should be?

Please. If you're going to argue that cheating is wrong; then say that it's because it's cheating. It's not how the system works. They are not working for what other people spend months to do. Etc etc etc. Give a legitimate reason, not some verbal nonsense that's supposed to pry on a pirate's non-existent sense of self-righteousness.

Then again, religions thrive on this sort of bollocks.
    Ellipses go here.

6. BitTorrent   -   #66
    Quote Originally Posted by ringhunter View Post
    you don't have a moral right to cheat.
    This again.

You are a pirate. You are on this board specifically because you don't abide by the morality rules set in place by society; and go as far as downloading material illegally to ignore those rules. Who do you think you are determining what other people's moral impediments should be?

Please. If you're going to argue that cheating is wrong; then say that it's because it's cheating. It's not how the system works. They are not working for what other people spend months to do. Etc etc etc. Give a legitimate reason, not some verbal nonsense that's supposed to pry on a pirate's non-existent sense of self-righteousness.

That so? Download some files, forfeit right to any moral standards whatsoever. So: no authority to comment on rapists, child killers, terrorists and the like. After all, we've broken society's pact. No different than anyone else who has, really.

I assume jaywalkers should shut the hell up as well. Damn scofflaws.

7. BitTorrent   -   #67
    Aristocles's Avatar Film Buff
    Quote Originally Posted by caoh View Post

This again.

That so? Download some files, forfeit right to any moral standards whatsoever. So: no authority to comment on rapists, child killers, terrorists and the like. After all, we've broken society's pact. No different than anyone else who has, really.

This is an appropriate reply to the argument that one "finds no honor among thieves".

Of course one can find a certain ethos among certain criminals. There are certain dictates that even the most hardened of confederated criminals do not violate. Call it the 'moral code' of the confederated criminal.

It's still the old adage about oxen and goring

8. BitTorrent   -   #68
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by caoh View Post

You know, mockery only works when you have an understanding of the subject. I didn't say cheating was right. I didn't say it was wrong, either. And you're welcome to point me out to where I hinted at the slightest of what it should be or whether it should be allowed. I didn't point out the moral implications of an immoral individual talking about ethics. I don't give a rats ass about any of those subjects.

What I do have a problem with are hypocrites. This must be the thousandth time I'm explaining it but here it goes. We are pirates, we discard the rules society imposes on us. And yet, some of us go as far as attempting to establish a moral doctorate [EDIT:] doctrine by which we all must abide by. Do you not see how hypocritical it is for a law breaker to attempt and set laws and expect people to follow them? The same people that raise a finger to "the system" because they have a fundamental understanding that not all rules should be followed are distraught when someone breaks their own rules; nay, they go as far as referring to it (with great audacity, if I may add so myself) as immoral.

All of us act by the unspoken acceptance of the fact that we all are allowed to make choices based on our personal and exclusive moral codes instilled within out personalities. You don't see two pirates pointing fingers at one another and blaming the other for torrenting the latest movie. It's basic logic and understanding. Yet it is lost when someone demeans or crosses the "moral" borders that we as pirates decided not to cross. We lose that understanding and go on a ridiculous witch hunt to ban traders/cheaters, when really, all they're doing is cheating the cheaters by the same code the cheaters cheat the system.

My argument is, as long as one reserves the liberty to set his own moral code, he has no right to impose said code on another individual. Do I think traders are wrong? I do. Do I think cheaters are wrong? Yes. Will I tell them so? Heck to the no. I let them make their own choices, just as they let me make mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocles View Post
    This is an appropriate reply to the argument that one "finds no honor among thieves".

Of course one can find a certain ethos among certain criminals. There are certain dictates that even the most hardened of confederated criminals do not violate. Call it the 'moral code' of the confederated criminal.

Thank you for understanding and not resorting to low forms of wit to argue. (for once, I'm not being sarcastic when giving a compliment)
    Last edited by Quarterquack; 07-18-2010 at 12:53 AM.
    Ellipses go here.

9. BitTorrent   -   #69
    You know, mockery only works when you have an understanding of the subject.
    Oh, aye. I can only understand what you express, no?

Like this, for example.

We lose that understanding and go on a ridiculous witch hunt to ban traders/cheaters, when really, all they're doing is cheating the cheaters by the same code the cheaters cheat the system.
    Yes, quite ridiculous. If I am running an illegal fruit picking and distribution scheme, why expend any effort to find the day laborers who are pissing on the fruit? After all, I'm a criminal.

10. BitTorrent   -   #70
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    You know, mockery only works when you have an understanding of the subject. I didn't say cheating was right. I didn't say it was wrong, either. And you're welcome to point me out to where I hinted at the slightest of what it should be or whether it should be allowed. I didn't point out the moral implications of an immoral individual talking about ethics. I don't give a rats ass about any of those subjects.

What I do have a problem with are hypocrites. This must be the thousandth time I'm explaining it but here it goes. We are pirates, we discard the rules society imposes on us. And yet, some of us go as far as attempting to establish a moral doctorate [EDIT:] doctrine by which we all must abide by. Do you not see how hypocritical it is for a law breaker to attempt and set laws and expect people to follow them? The same people that raise a finger to "the system" because they have a fundamental understanding that not all rules should be followed are distraught when someone breaks their own rules; nay, they go as far as referring to it (with great audacity, if I may add so myself) as immoral.

All of us act by the unspoken acceptance of the fact that we all are allowed to make choices based on our personal and exclusive moral codes instilled within out personalities. You don't see two pirates pointing fingers at one another and blaming the other for torrenting the latest movie. It's basic logic and understanding. Yet it is lost when someone demeans or crosses the "moral" borders that we as pirates decided not to cross. We lose that understanding and go on a ridiculous witch hunt to ban traders/cheaters, when really, all they're doing is cheating the cheaters by the same code the cheaters cheat the system.

My argument is, as long as one reserves the liberty to set his own moral code, he has no right to impose said code on another individual. Do I think traders are wrong? I do. Do I think cheaters are wrong? Yes. Will I tell them so? Heck to the no. I let them make their own choices, just as they let me make mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocles View Post

Thank you for understanding and not resorting to low forms of wit to argue. (for once, I'm not being sarcastic when giving a compliment)
    Your argument is flawed because private trackers are not illegal. They were created to service people with their specific needs. Downloading something from a tracker is the same thing as borrowing something from someone. However, cheaters don't simply download stuff; they steal stuff, and it's as bad as stealing something from a store or a friend in real life.
    As you know, the Oink founder is now free because he was found innocent of any crime. It just proves to us that private trackers are legal.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast