Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Author Do You Think Writes Better Books?

Poster
    @Withcheese

Try to get and read some law stories of John Grisham.
    He writes great books on manipulating the laws of the state.
    It will leave a good taste in your mouth.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    anne rice is very long winded in some of her books, but in the end the depth of knowledge you have aboutt he charachters or the setting sometimes pays off. This is in her good books like the witching hour. Other books like Lasher just seem silly to me like a very shallow romace.
    Steven king's books are awsome. His charachters are very believable, and i just like the way the stories build up to the climax where you don't know who will survive. Also isn't there something nice about clear cut good guys fighting pure evil?
    I only licked you for the salt

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Poster
    Originally posted by Withcheese+2 November 2003 - 12:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese &#064; 2 November 2003 - 12:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Smurfette@1 November 2003 - 21:29

Shaun Hutson? Sheesh, the best thing about him is his love of heavy metal. The last Hutson book I read gave me the impression that he was describing injuries in a way that said, "Hey, look at me - I researched anatomy&#33;".
    lol I love that "Casualty" -ish description of James Herbert that&#39;s just right.

Shaun Hutson&#39;s books just set my teeth on edge, he&#39;s too graphic and I think you&#39;re right, he has researched for his books but I kind of get the feeling he is out to shock all the time. ( And most of his books read like he has a movie script in mind).[/b]

Yes, Hutson must think hollywood is going to come to him even after such tripe as Slugs&#33;

Originally posted by Withcheese@2 November 2003 - 12:28
    @shubhodeep_das

John Crichton, he researches his topics so well that you can really believe his stories.&nbsp; The amount of information crammed into a book like Jurussic Park or Airframe is amazing, I felt like Ilearned something afetr reading his books.
    That&#39;s exactly the reason I like Forsyth&#39;s stuff. I can&#39;t say I&#39;ve ever read any novels or short stories of his that I didn&#39;t enjoy immensely - just as I can&#39;t recall ever seeing a bad film with Harrison Ford in it&#33;

<!--QuoteBegin-Chame1eon
    @4 November 2003 - 12:59
    Steven king&#39;s books are awsome. His charachters are very believable, and i just like the way the stories build up to the climax where you don&#39;t know who will survive.&nbsp; Also isn&#39;t there something nice about clear cut good guys fighting pure evil?[/quote]

King manages to write as if he&#39;s actually talking to me (and you&#33 and it&#39;s a style that&#39;s very enjoyable for me. Other authors I&#39;ve read don&#39;t manage to do that anywhere near as well.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Yes, Hutson must think hollywood is going to come to him even after such tripe as Slugs&#33;
    I think this is one of my pet hates of some "lesser" authors is that they seem to be writing a book with the movie deal in mind, whether intentionally or not. I don&#39;t mean to sound like a literary snob but I love to read "trashy" novels like King, Herbert and Crichton as they are so easy to read but authors like Hutson annoy me.

I read any book I pick up but so many times I&#39;ve been dissappointed by this movie-hunt attitude. I mean they&#39;re either after a movie deal or they are just bad writers who are unintentionally writing scripts. Just because the novel is "trashy" doesn&#39;t mean it has to be written badly, King for example is a very engaging author, as a lot of us agree.

Please, please tell me that Hutson has never ACTUALLY got a movie deal from one of his books...that would make me very sad.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Poster
    Originally posted by Withcheese@4 November 2003 - 22:05
    Please, please tell me that Hutson has never ACTUALLY got a movie deal from one of his books...that would make me very sad.
    Well, I&#39;m sure I saw Slugs or Spawn down the local video store about 10 years ago lol
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    omfg you&#39;re right:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0093995/#comment

(actually *shuffles feet* I wouldn&#39;t mind checking this film out to see how bad it is...anyone out there got it? lol no, didn&#39;t think so)

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Poster
    Originally posted by Withcheese@5 November 2003 - 00:40
    omfg you&#39;re right:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0093995/#comment

(actually *shuffles feet* I wouldn&#39;t mind checking this film out to see how bad it is...anyone out there got it? lol no, didn&#39;t think so)
    RAOTFLMFAO

I bloody thought so

Now you know someone&#39;s bound to come up with a hash for it now, don&#39;t you?

8. Lounge   -   #38
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    king, hands down (IMO)
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    you&#39;re only talking about those ones???
    i&#39;ve only read Stephen king, so i can&#39;t tell....
    i like David and Leigh Eddings&#33;&#33;
    see ya

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by peludo@7 November 2003 - 05:33
    you&#39;re only talking about those ones???
    i&#39;ve only read Stephen king, so i can&#39;t tell....
    i like David and Leigh Eddings&#33;&#33;
    see ya
    NO&#33; Don&#39;t even get me started on David Eddings his fantasy books are just awful, just awful...

All that nonsense about prophecies and stuff just made me very sleepy. Having said that his two contempary novels (High Hunt and The Losers) were quite good and his fantasy novels sell by the bucketload so what do I know?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast