Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Unrar News Reader

I have been using Alt Binz as my newsreader for some time now but my problem is that the auto-unrar feature is buggy and almost never works. I can sort of trick it into working again but it will quickly go back to not working.

I don't think that there is a fix for they haven't responded to any of the posts in their forum except to ask for a log.

I know that auto unrar won't work if the files are corrupted. It also probably won't work if the rared files are in a format it doesn't like. For example, sometimes I can just rick click on any of the files with Winrar and "extract here" other times I have to use 7zip and specifically extract it from the RAR file and not one of the numbered files.

However, I am talking about newly uploaded stuff that is in good condition, missing nothing and is easily unrared. Complete par files are included but not needed.

In fact, I have tested many of the downloads that it failed to unrar and tested them with Quickpar. Every single time Quickpar said it had 100% of the blocks and no repair was needed.

The interface and features of my news client means little to me. I suppose that I could eventually get into doing my own searches but that isn't too important to me. I don't care if it is pay or free and I don't care about support.

Thanks in advance.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    BANNED
    Sabnzbd has a good rar/par engine, can even be set to attempt unrar even if the parcheck fails (because sometimes it's the par that's at fault). It does unzip and 001 joining too, which is a bonus.
    Just be sure to switch the interface to plush when you first use it as it's a bit bland otherwise.
    Last edited by c0ld; 12-07-2009 at 08:25 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    dette's Avatar The Young Tech Geek
    I have GrabIt, Alt.Binz, and NewsLeecher. NewsLeecher has THE BEST PAR/Unrar feature ive seen

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    SABnzbd+ for normal/advanced use or NewsLeecher for noob-friendly.

But both are easy to use.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    newleecher is awesome. It will repair the download if pars are needed, auto un rar and delete the rars if you want it to. I love it, plus super search is way cool.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
    newleecher is awesome. It will repair the download if pars are needed, auto un rar and delete the rars if you want it to. I love it, plus super search is way cool.
    Agreed here! Wish I could use it for Mac!... Fuckin Unison! God! :/... I have a Windows Laptop but its easier to download on my Mac Box (Custom Desktop)

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    BANNED
    What you describe isn't anything more than just about every other newsreader out there. What makes it better?
    Last edited by c0ld; 12-08-2009 at 03:39 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    SABnzbd+ would work on a mac too.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by c0ld View Post
    What you describe isn't anything more than just about every other newsreader out there. What makes it better?
    Well I used to use newsbin and it didnt do any of these things. At least not when I used it. I recently just got back into newsgroups.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by c0ld View Post

Well I used to use newsbin and it didnt do any of these things. At least not when I used it. I recently just got back into newsgroups.
    most news readers DO those things but not as well or as thorough it seems as newsleecher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast