Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Spartacus :Blood and Sex ..I mean Sand

iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    I thought the same bazz. I stuck with it though because all them Americans swore blind it was excellent. IT DID!!11! Stick with it until around the 3rd-4th ep, if you dont like it then ditch it.

Favourite ep would have to be "The Pits" episode.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

2. Movies & TV   -   #92
    thebazzla's Avatar 'The Steelmen' BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    i do know that it sometimes takes a while with all new series to get your interest ILOVENBZ. it had a few sticky episodes in it but don't most of them.but overall thought it had good potential.
    i knew that the actor was suffering from cancer but didn't know how bad it was. and the second series was being put back all the time .
    then they come up with the Spartacus: gods of the arena spin off which i thought was dreadful BTW.
    i couldn't tell you anything about it as i stuck around for the 1st episode and ditched it big style

3. Movies & TV   -   #93
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by mueller View Post
    lmao Im being serious I know it was common in that day and age and historically correct but cmon
    Your post being directly following ,I was referring to your insensitivity regarding Andy Whitfield's death.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Movies & TV   -   #94
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Your post being directly following ,I was referring to your insensitivity regarding Andy Whitfield's death.
    Who the fuck is Andy Whitfield?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

5. Movies & TV   -   #95
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Season 3 is still getting the go for as much as I know. Season 3 will be entitled, "Spartacus: Vengeance".

RIP Andy!
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

6. Movies & TV   -   #96
    Glod's Avatar Poster
    Spartacus had a razor sharp plot and brilliant acting. Yes, violence and sex featured prominently in the episodes, but what else would you expect within the training grounds for muscular, scantily clad men who fought for their only chance at freedom and were doted on by slave girls? That's right, sex and violence. However, if anyone believes those were the real heart of the story, they weren't paying attention. This was the story of a failure to tame the will of men, the consequences of greed and betrayal, the indomitable desire to be free at any cost; the allure of a roaring crowd, the death of a brother, the shame of a son and his seething rage towards his father; the twisting of friends into enemies and the eternal struggle for power and prosperity.

Spartacus is a story about life and its many brutalities. I would rank it as a personal favorite and a great victory of acting and storytelling. Dismissing it on account of sex and violence seems to be a cheap cop-out and reveals an inability to gaze underneath the surface of what appears at first glance to be yet another shallow series.

7. Movies & TV   -   #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Glod View Post
    Spartacus had a razor sharp plot and brilliant acting. Yes, violence and sex featured prominently in the episodes, but what else would you expect within the training grounds for muscular, scantily clad men who fought for their only chance at freedom and were doted on by slave girls? That's right, sex and violence. However, if anyone believes those were the real heart of the story, they weren't paying attention. This was the story of a failure to tame the will of men, the consequences of greed and betrayal, the indomitable desire to be free at any cost; the allure of a roaring crowd, the death of a brother, the shame of a son and his seething rage towards his father; the twisting of friends into enemies and the eternal struggle for power and prosperity.

Spartacus is a story about life and its many brutalities. I would rank it as a personal favorite and a great victory of acting and storytelling. Dismissing it on account of sex and violence seems to be a cheap cop-out and reveals an inability to gaze underneath the surface of what appears at first glance to be yet another shallow series.
    I hate to break it to you but it was a shallow series entirely about gratuitous sex and violence.The fact that some of the actors managed to imbibe it with a sense of something more is a testament to both their talent and their passion and not some loftier, imagined goal of the producers.
    Seriously the guy did Dollhouse for God's sake.

8. Movies & TV   -   #98
    Glod's Avatar Poster

I hate to break it to you but it was a shallow series entirely about gratuitous sex and violence.The fact that some of the actors managed to imbibe it with a sense of something more is a testament to both their talent and their passion and not some loftier, imagined goal of the producers.
    I mentioned nothing about producers, and we can at least agree upon the quality of the acting, though that wouldn't have been adequately demonstrated without an appropriately complex story. Each of the characters had motives that guided their actions, some of which led them into frequent disputes involving violence, but I don't recall any scene in which one of them committed an act of aggression simply for the sake of it. I consider Spartacus to be great for avoiding that trap and managing to provide understandable reasons for such actions. I've never heard of Dollhouse, and a work should be judged on its own merit, not previous works by the same creator.

9. Movies & TV   -   #99

I mentioned nothing about producers, and we can at least agree upon the quality of the acting, though that wouldn't have been adequately demonstrated without an appropriately complex story. Each of the characters had motives that guided their actions, some of which led them into frequent disputes involving violence, but I don't recall any scene in which one of them committed an act of aggression simply for the sake of it. I consider Spartacus to be great for avoiding that trap and managing to provide understandable reasons for such actions. I've never heard of Dollhouse, and a work should be judged on its own merit, not previous works by the same creator.
    I said some of the actors ,notably the lately passed Andy Whitfield. Most of the other actors portraying the other main characters range from John Hannah's passable Batiatus to seriously bad aka Lucy Lawless' Lucretia.Somewhere Shakespeare is rolling over in his grave becasue Lady Macbeth she ain't .

Anyway after perusing your other posts I assume you will disagree with what I wrote but as for Spartacus being more than just cable friendly pulp fiction as you seem to have a tendency to over-think things. Putting more meaning into them than the creator ever intended.Makes for ,I'm sure many the lively talk around the dinner table but as once said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Btw I'm not trying to disparage Spartacus which has a certain undeniable visceral appeal .To further desecrate literature - a cigar may be just a cigar but a good cigar is a smoke.

10. Movies & TV   -   #100
    Glod's Avatar Poster

I said some of the actors ,notably the lately passed Andy Whitfield. Most of the other actors portraying the other main characters range from John Hannah's passable Batiatus to seriously bad aka Lucy Lawless' Lucretia.Somewhere Shakespeare is rolling over in his grave becasue Lady Macbeth she ain't .

Anyway after perusing your other posts I assume you will disagree with what I wrote but as for Spartacus being more than just cable friendly pulp fiction as you seem to have a tendency to over-think things. Putting more meaning into them than the creator ever intended.Makes for ,I'm sure many the lively talk around the dinner table but as once said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Btw I'm not trying to disparage Spartacus which has a certain undeniable visceral appeal .To further desecrate literature - a cigar may be just a cigar but a good cigar is a smoke.
    John Hannah had one of the more impressive performances, I thought. He could be downright vicious and succeeded in conveying a deep-seated resentment towards his father and anyone who set him back on the road to power and wealth. Even so, he dealt that lethal hand of his with pragmatic subtlety and cunning throughout the series. I could cite examples, but you presumably saw those scenes and already judged them for yourself.

Bear in mind that the meaning of the story is what I personally took away from it, regardless of whether or not the creator intended it as such. Even if he were only interested in attracting audiences via sex and violence, that wouldn't detract from the story or my level of appreciation for it, and I firmly believe that blasting Spartacus for supposed shallowness is to miss out on the complex activity beneath. However, we are in clear disagreement, so I'll say that a cigar might just be a cigar to you, but it could hold additional meaning for someone else. Since we're using quotes now, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast