View Poll Results: Will you go SATA with your next HD upgrade?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, SATA is a step forward

13 50.00%
  • No, ATA is fine

13 50.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll:your Next Computer, Will You Go

Poster
    Originally posted by DWk@17 October 2003 - 02:58
    i have 2 s-ata cables and ports on my mobo.... i just dont have any/know any/need any s-ata hdds...

so whatever lol

DWk
    on ur p2 400? - lol.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by kurtsl0an+16 October 2003 - 21:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kurtsl0an @ 16 October 2003 - 21:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DWk@17 October 2003 - 02:58
    i have 2 s-ata cables and ports on my mobo.... i just dont have any/know any/need any s-ata hdds...

so whatever lol

DWk
    on ur p2 400? - lol. [/b][/quote]
    not cpu.. the motherboard

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Well the title and the poll question are not the same.
    your Next Computer, Will You Go, SATA for your storage
    For my next computer, I say: ( Yes, SATA is a step forward)

Will you go SATA with your next HD upgrade?
    For my next HD upgrade, I say: ( No, ATA is fine)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    WTF is a SATA ?? a super ata or something ???

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by neattairoski@17 October 2003 - 02:45
    WTF is a SATA ?? a super ata or something ???
    serial ata. it&#39;s supposed to have better throughput and lower resource-hogging than ata. and the slim cables are a very nice perk.

i dunno, though. when i first heard about sata, i was really excited about the idea, and it still sounds like a step forward... but early reviews said the increase in HD read/write speed was minimal on single drives, and the improvement was mostly in the area of stripe RAIDs.

have SATA controllers developed to a point yet, that single drives benefit much? if not, i guess i&#39;d wait a while until the benefit extends beyond RAIDs. although i&#39;d really love to get rid of the nasty tangle of IDE ribbon cables in my PC. four hard drives, a CD-RW, a DVD-RW, a SCSI ZIP, a floppy... as you can imagine, it&#39;s a mess and i&#39;m just not willing to invest in rounded cables for all of it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Double Agent
    what about SCSI controller cards and SCSI hdds? how much faster were they supposed to be?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@17 October 2003 - 03:23
    what about SCSI controller cards and SCSI hdds? how much faster were they supposed to be?
    not sure how they compare to sata, but much better than ata. like ata, SCSI does make gradual improvements over the years. but for some reason, it&#39;s extremely expensive. the cost of manufacturing SCSI components is prolly just a lot higher than ata & sata because it&#39;s a hardware-based controller rather than software-based (i.e. the CPU does most of the work in an ata setup). might have something to do with why SCSI is primarily aimed at servers rather than PCs.

the only reason i have any SCSI in my PC at all is because my old ZIP sucked (used the printer port, it was sooooo slow), so i got a used SCSI one from ebay for like 10 bucks... and a friend was able to "borrow" a SCSI controller for me, from his computer job where they upgraded & replaced their PC/server stuff all the time and they just threw all their old parts in a "junk" room. but building a new SCSI-based PC would just be ridiculous &#036;&#036;&#036;.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    BANNED
    Originally posted by kurtsl0an+17 October 2003 - 03:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kurtsl0an @ 17 October 2003 - 03:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DWk@17 October 2003 - 02:58

so whatever lol

DWk
    on ur p2 400? - lol. [/b][/quote]
    no actually my pc is athlon xp 1800+.....with an msi kt4 ultra mobo....it includes 2 s-ata ports and cables.... read my sig

DWk

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@16 October 2003 - 22:00
    i think s-ata is a good performance boost, but not the real answer for the future
    Why not? the initial standard is just the beginning like USB 1.0 , the speeds it can do are I think already limited by the hard drive, not by the SATA standard, If i remember well i read somewhere that they&#39;ve already got the next speed upgrades all planned out, but hard drives will have to get faster first.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC
    it&#39;s a mess and i&#39;m just not willing to invest in rounded cables for all of it.
    Invest?
    A rounded IDE & Floppy cable set is like, 10-15&#036;

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast