Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Poll Of Sorts...

Poster
    Originally posted by *´¯`·.¸¸.»Çô©ö»+17 October 2003 - 22:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (*´¯`·.¸¸.»Çô©ö» @ 17 October 2003 - 22:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Justsomeguy@17 October 2003 - 22:51
    At first, I was very reluctant to upgrade to XP from 98SE.

But as I play LAN games with my mates, I was eventually forced to move to XP just so I could browse the network when we had a gaming session.
    They could see my comp on the network, but I couldnt see thiers.

It took a few weeks to get used to, but now I definately prefer XP to 98... the stability alone makes up for the initial quibbles... and I haven&#39;t seen a BSOD for months now.
    Thats what i meant, it&#39;s more fun. [/b][/quote]
    thats probably why my brothers XP computer cant see my ME, and my brothers 98 games on LAN.

I dont know what I prefer right now, most likely 2000 because its at my school and its fast even when it has mcafee, which slowes down a systems performence a lot

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Im going with 98, as I love it, and have had the most success with it, but Id apreciate your opinion. Also, lets keep to Windows here, as that will keep this on track. Thanks&#33;
    Gee, how unfortunate for you that MS no longer supports Win98...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    My hatred of XP goes as follows = its too damn flashy. Its like they tried to make it all nice, but failed misserably because its ease of use its NOTHING compared to 98. 98 was ugly and easy and good, Xp is flashy and shitty. You say XP is more reliable? I&#39;ve had it for less than 2 days now, and 3 times its just shit itself and completely turned off (yes I have norton anti-virus 2003 = no viruses). 98 never ever did that, the worst 98 did was just have a program "stop responding" once and a while, while XP has done that 5 times now. I compare XP to the computer game "Age Of Wonders". The first one was great, it wasnt flashy and hyped, it just stuck with the basics, and was a really great game. Now here comes AOW 2. Wow does it suck. Its more/less the same as the other one, but it just looks like they tried so hard to make it all flashy and beautiful and shit, and it just went horribly wrong at the end. Now my opinions may be (probably are) way off, so dont get pissed at me because I hate XP with a passion, its just how I feel. Also, just to make sure, can anyone get me a link to dl the newest version of macafee(sp?), as I have always liked that better than Norton. Thanks for reading/responding.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Oh.
    Now I understand.
    You suck.

Seriously though, before you upgraded to XP did you check the HCL? do you know if the apps/games you are running are XP
    compatible? Have you tried running them in compatibility modes?
    Did you know that one of the easiest things about XP is turning off the "Shiny, Shitty interface" ?

Dealing with networking, troubleshooting, repair, etc. everyday...of all the OS&#39;s, XP is the one I&#39;d rather work with. 2000&#39;s fine also...
    xp just has a few things about it that I like better.

and
    Originally posted by UltimateJester
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    running a server OS as your everyday desktop PC?
    Maybe your friends think it&#39;s cool, but it just sounds ridiculous.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Alrighty then, could you please tell me how to turn of the interface then? Would be very apreciated.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Themes Tab > &#39;Windows Classic&#39; in the drop-down menu.

To turn off menu fades, slides, and other resource-stealing crappy FX, go to Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Performance Settings... > Adjust as you wish.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    win 98 is fine. it&#39;s somewat stable, and compatible with everything. but xp has :
    1. looks cooler
    2. more stable
    3. latest "working" os (meaning excluding longhorn)
    4. most people use it
    5. too lazy to type

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Hmm, its better, now if it was as reliable, it would be helpful.... I dont suppose you have a tip for that.......

also, again, if anyone has the sig thing to the newest version of macafee(sp?) anti-virus, it would be appreciated

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by opivykid@19 October 2003 - 02:14
    Hmm, its better, now if it was as reliable, it would be helpful.... I dont suppose you have a tip for that.......

also, again, if anyone has the sig thing to the newest version of macafee(sp?) anti-virus, it would be appreciated
    Its very reliable for me. What kind of machine are you using? XP doesn&#39;t get along with older processers, although I have it loaded on an old laptop (300 mhz celeron with 64 MB RAM) and it is stable. Not at all fast but stable. It works great on my 2.5 gHz P4 box.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast