Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Racist Comments

BANNED
    not to disagree with you rat faced but where do you stand on black people using the "n" word in their everyday conversation but a white person can't use it???

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #52
    Ex-member
    OK, can we please stop the flaming already?

We are currently discussing the latest revision of the rules; all the issues raised here (including flaming) will be addressed.

Any more flaming and this post gets closed - it's not here so you can argue over petty differences.

@Musleman: It's not offensive as such, so I don't see it as a big problem. The problem with these situations is that it's entirely subjective, so no matter what we do we're going to get someone saying either "This mod is abusing his/her power" or "The mods are slacking and not doing their jobs".

Rock<---&#62;Mod Team<---&#62;Hard Place

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #53
    BANNED
    Originally posted by Lamsey@21 October 2003 - 06:57
    @Musleman: It&#39;s not offensive as such, so I don&#39;t see it as a big problem. The problem with these situations is that it&#39;s entirely subjective, so no matter what we do we&#39;re going to get someone saying either "This mod is abusing his/her power" or "The mods are slacking and not doing their jobs".

Rock<---&#62;Mod Team<---&#62;Hard Place
    thats good enough for me i totally see you point

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #54
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@20 October 2003 - 21:40
    Neither term is racist, as it refers to a nationality, not a race.... It doesnt matter if your Black, White or Pink with Blue polkadots... it describes what country your from, nothing more.

I beg to differ

From the Oxford Online English Dictionary

Race

• noun 1 each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics. 2 racial origin or distinction: rights based on race. 3 a group of people sharing the same culture, language, etc.; an ethnic group. 4 a group of people or things with a common feature. 5 Biology a distinct population within a species; a subspecies.

— USAGE Some people now feel that the word race should be avoided, because of its associations with the now discredited theories of 19th-century anthropologists and physiologists about supposed racial superiority. Terms such as people, community, or ethnic group are less emotionally charged.

racism

• noun 1 the belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race. 2 discrimination against or antagonism towards other races.

Thus racism applies to nationality as the nation in question is just "a group of people sharing the same culture, language, etc"

And thus calling a Brit a "limey" or an american a "yank" IS being racist

Squid Pro Ro

Xanex

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #55
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Am I correct that this whole thread of 4 pages was started from a typo?

Wow. Talk about bringing it to the attention of everyone. If nothing was said in the first place it would have not been seen and just forgotten.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #56
    Ex-member
    No, it is an oversight that the rules didn&#39;t include something on racism. It would have come up sooner or later. As I said, we&#39;re working on it, so IMO case closed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456