Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is This A Good Card?

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    btw, y is it that agp graphic card are so much cheaper then pci. examples would be the fx5200 128 mb. agp=$56 on pricewatch and pci= 82 dollars. pci is slower so y is it more expensive?
    I like the fx5200.

PCI is more expensive because they don't make nearly as many. Mass production reduces costs.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    since you're switching video card brands, it'd be best to follow a certain procedure to make sure the drivers work correctly on the new card--

1) uninstall the Nvidia drivers (either through control panel -> add/remove programs, or with a program like detonator destroyer)
    2) shut the PC down, take out the Nvidia card and install the ATI card
    3) start the PC, then install the ATI drivers

i know it sounds overly cautious, to insist on removing one company's drivers before installing another's... but a lot of people experience problems when they have Nvidia & ATI driver packages installed at the same time. so i'm just recommending that procedure as the cleanest way to switch brands.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    ty for the advice. cant wait to get the new card. have it on 3 days shipping

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by kazaaliterock@19 October 2003 - 18:14
    ty for the advice. cant wait to get the new card. have it on 3 days shipping
    So you got that 9100?

Although It is my belief and idea to save up and get a new mobo, and an AGP graphics card, The 9100 link that you provided looks to be a really good deal.

Hope it works out for u.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    u can get a pci version of the gforce fx 5200. it's 128mb and it works with all the new games

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    thanks john.

@abu i would get teh fx5200 128mb but it cuz 2x as much and i dont have that much to spare right now. ughhhh, damn dsl bill. lol

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by kazaaliterock@20 October 2003 - 05:11
    thanks john.

@abu i would get teh fx5200 128mb but it cuz 2x as much and i dont have that much to spare right now. ughhhh, damn dsl bill. lol
    yes, save up...but not for the fx 5200...is that not part of the crappy Nvidia line that never could come close to its equivalent ATI price point? For $150 you can get a 9600 pro...why not wait and step up to ATI, not down to fx5200?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    For $150 you can get a 9600 pro...why not wait and step up to ATI, not down to fx5200?
    Is that 9600 pro available in PCI. That's his limiting factor here.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@19 October 2003 - 17:07
    u can get a pci version of the gforce fx 5200. it's 128mb and it works with all the new games
    the PCI bus is a limiting factor in the case of just about any modern card. there's only so much pixel-pushing power that can be shoved through a 33mhz interface. the GeForce FX 5200s perform just about on par with the Radeon 9100, and actually worse in some cases. that's on the PCI bus. AGP would be a different story. you need to think outside the box, and realize that the PCI interface affects each card's performance differently.

just because one chipset is a better AGP card, it doesn't mean that it's also a better PCI card. tests of the individual cards show that the Radeon 9100 PCI is often neck-and-neck with the GeForce FX PCI cards, and pulls ahead by a pretty good margin in some games.

not to be mean-spirited-- but if you claim that the GeForce FX PCIs are better than the Radeon 9100 PCI just because the GeForce FX is newer technology, then you prolly haven't read any reviews/tests of these cards.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    so the radeon 9100 pro im getting in 2 days is the same as the fx5200

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast