Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Itunes

The songs you download are in AAC format. You can play them in any audio player which supports AAC, you just need the right codec. I doubt any other portable mp3 players will be able to play them though since Apple paid Dolby big money for the license to it.

AAC files have copy protection so you can't put them up on Kazaa or burn them to a CD, then rip it into mp3.

The cool thing about AAC is quality. A 128kb song sounds exactly the same as a 192kb mp3 file. So you can save alot of memory if you start to encode in AAC.

I haven't bought a song yet since iTunes only has major label bands, I am loving it as a jukebox though with the smart playlists.

I can't see myself paying $.99 a song, but if I'm looking for an album that's hard to find in the stores (or internet)...and it's available for $9.99, I'll buy it from Apple in a second. It doesn't look like that situation has presented itself yet though...

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 13:46
    ScotchGuy, what if filesharing hadn't come around, you would've spent more than that to get those 450 songs.
    No I wouldn't have, if filesharing hadn't come around then I'd probably have 10 CD's now, at the most. Most of which would probably be from friends or relatives. I never spent my own money on a CD, ever.

That's besides the point anyway. The point is filesharing DID come around, so there's no need to spend $.99 for a song when you can just as well get it for free.

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 21:46
    Switeck, $.09 per song is a whole lot better than $0.00 per song.

ScotchGuy, what if filesharing hadn't come around, you would've spent more than that to get those 450 songs.

sharedholder, why should people make songs? Why don't they stop? They aren't making any money from it thanks to you, so why don't they just stop.

Hell why don't we wipe out music completely because obviously no one can open their heads to the cold hard fact that they are robbing artists blind. If you like them so much why don't you support them?

Ok, not everyone in the world downloads music for free, so the artist is still going to make money. But what if everyone starts thinking in that mindset, then what is the artist going to do? Stop making music because they can't afford their instruments, the recording booth, their agent, and everything else needed to make a song and a CD.

I'm not here to start a giant I'm right your wrong war, I just thought I'd let everyone know about iTunes and what I thought about it.
    The real artists and when i talking about real artists i'm not talking about Britney or Cristina are making music for passion,pleasure and competition spirit not for money.I don't even imagine that Wagner, Bach, Bethoween, Mozart,worked for making money.

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    sharedholder, go start making millions of dollars a year, then come tell me that again.

When Wagner, Bach, Bethoween, Mozart lived, there was no way to listen to their music unless you went to a concert of theirs.

Nowadays, once an artist hits the big time, they just say "its about the music, not the money". even if that is true, on the side, its still about the money.

Scotch, another thing is, it's illegal. And if you think "pffff the RIAA will never find me". They easily can. I have seen Comcasts rooms full of servers dedicated to one thing; find people using file sharing programs. And they aren't the only ISP doing it.

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 17:09
    Scotch, another thing is, it's illegal. And if you think "pffff the RIAA will never find me". They easily can. I have seen Comcasts rooms full of servers dedicated to one thing; find people using file sharing programs. And they aren't the only ISP doing it.
    Trust me, they have bigger fish to fry. I don't even use Kazaa Lite anymore, I stopped using it 3 months ago. It stopped working and instead of fixing the error I started using alternatives.

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    I started using alternatives
    That doesn't make it any better.

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 18:10
    I started using alternatives
    That doesn't make it any better.
    Or does it?

It's better for me, since they have yet to go after those programs.

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Poster
    Originally posted by GLiO@19 October 2003 - 16:46
    Switeck, $.09 per song is a whole lot better than $0.00 per song.
    So you're saying that in the record label's switch over to lower-cost distribution methods it's "OK" for them to screw over the artists so the labels can get an even bigger cut, but we're guilty as hell when we do free advertising?

Consider too how much artists have to PAY for radio airtime...

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    does anyone know if the windoze version is a good ripped for encoding CDs as the mac version was? ::

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    Glio, why are you here? From all your messages in this topic it seems like you hate K-Lite.

Why on earth would anyone want to use ITunes when we can get anything we want here for free???

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast