Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Drive In "imminent Danger Of Failing"

Call dell and b*itch at them enough and they will send you a refirbished hard drive the same as you have now... Then buy a second hard drive and install that as the main and the 1 from dell as the slave.

The hard drive you have now dosent have much space left.

JUst a sugestion ... Good Luck

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    I had the same problem. After calling Dell about three times they sent out a new hard drive.

I used a program that reads the hard drive's smart attributes to see what the problem was. I forget the name, but one is Disk-Checkup. Another is Active Smart, or do a search for "smart attributes" and several will show up.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Try to find a program, from your hard disk vendor that will reset your drive to FACTORY SETTINGS, ie the same as when it was shipped. Not all vendors release such apps but i've seen it for some maxtor and ibm/toshiba units.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by KILskOOL@20 October 2003 - 16:22
    Windows always checks the serial and if it's not good it uninstalls windows.
    I Heard from a few reliable sources M$ uninstall windows only if its the FCKGW one!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Thanks for the help It's still slow even though the diagnostic program says everyhting's ok.. hmm. Must be a software thing

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    *Grunt*
    Depending on the amount of data you have, or the amount of clusters that have acumulated over time. It can take several attemps to defragment a drive to its former glory.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    *Grunt*
    Depending on the amount of data you have, or the amount of clusters that have acumulated over time. It can take several attemps to defragment a drive to its former glory.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    when you ran scandisk, did you do a surface scan, or just a filescan? a surface san would tell you if you had bad sectors or not. I'd definitely recommend one of those scan programs from the manufacturer that were mentioned, as well.

If the drive itself is intact, I'd say that its prolly gonna be format time (spirits, but I am really starting to HATE that word!!&#33

I didnt know that M$ could do that either. I wouldnt put it past those tightassed bastards to do it tho. Glad they dont pull that shit with 98, my key is ummm..."borrowed".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12