Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Format #6 And Counting

after 6 FDISK's and 14 FORMATS in the last 3 weeks...I THINK that this thing is FINALLY under control. and as happy as I am about that....I am still steaming under the collar about what the solution turned out to be.

a bad RAM stick.

I was thinking about that, a hardware conflict, so I tried installing winblows w/out the modem installed. It got rid of the write protection CONFIGMG errors, but right off the bat came in with just generic write protection errors. swapped out the ram, and it seems to be running ok. (Aside from the usual windoze crap like explorer crashes)

Anyways, I REALLY appreciate all the help and advice that you guys put into this thread, and for some of the emails that I got on this one.
    Sorry that it took me so long to get back to ya guys, but well.....this thing was DEAD for a couple of days.

edit: now for my next problem....if it's fixed, what am I gonna change my signature to?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    ITSA A HARDWARE ISSUE!!!!

CHECK UR HARDWARE. TRUST ME. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS AND I THOUGHT IT WAS A VERRY VERRY BAD VIRUS 4 A BAD TIME. TURNED OUT MY FAN GOT CLOGGED AND MY COMP GOT SO HOT IT FRIED A BUNCH OF CABLES!!

EDIT oops didnt see the last post. congrats on fixing! and just for the record. i am smart!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Originally posted by TheCanuk@30 October 2003 - 03:02
    ITSA A HARDWARE ISSUE!!!!

CHECK UR HARDWARE. TRUST ME. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS AND I THOUGHT IT WAS A VERRY VERRY BAD VIRUS 4 A BAD TIME. TURNED OUT MY FAN GOT CLOGGED AND MY COMP GOT SO HOT IT FRIED A BUNCH OF CABLES!!

EDIT oops didnt see the last post. congrats on fixing! and just for the record. i am smart!
    oh I hear ya dude! I was thinking that it was anything from a virus to a bad hard drive! That stupid configmg had me and the tech stumped bad! I was beginning to think that the damn thing is haunted! Hell...it almost became dead, dead, D E A D the way that it was acting, and it wouldnt have been natural causes!

UGH...lets not mention fans melting stuff. the fan on my vid card has a bad bearing, and squeaks pretty bad. That's going in too, when I send the ram chips back to them.
    Hope that fan, and cables didnt cost you too much in the way of stuff on the comp. This stupid ram card is gonna cost me about another 15 hours of time, trying to reconstruct the data that got crunched on my backup drive cause of the bad errors. LOL...when I can find that hash for the file reconstructor prog, that is.

haha we're all smart, and still do dumb things sometimes.

thanks, I'm glad I got it workin too...just hope it stays workin. Next solution is the shotgun method

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123