Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Virus Scan Program?

Poster
    I have tried installing norton 3 times, evertime it installs fine and computer restarts then it is on the running on the tray and I cannot get it to open, then after i click on it about 50 times it just shuts down.
    AOL 9.0 Now with top speed sarcasm that is 5x funnier than normal
    dial up sarcasm complete with AOL instant stalker.

AOL 9.0 with top speed and AOL instant stalker...more expensive than saffron but worth it!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by muchspl2@23 October 2003 - 21:26
    all I know is I have plenty of friends get owend by a virus, and they now use avg
    Norton has caused enough problems, [please dis believe the hype
    Starting to agree with u

AOL 9.0 with top speed and AOL instant stalker...more expensive than saffron but worth it!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    Originally posted by justin_9733@24 October 2003 - 06:49
    I have tried installing norton 3 times, evertime it installs fine and computer restarts then it is on the running on the tray and I cannot get it to open, then after i click on it about 50 times it just shuts down.
    u sure norton is the only antivirus on your computer because u should never have more than one kind of antivirus software on your computer at the same time.

proud to be american

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by Jay+23 October 2003 - 23:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jay @ 23 October 2003 - 23:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-justin_9733@24 October 2003 - 06:49
    u sure norton is the only antivirus on your computer because u should never have more than one kind of antivirus software on your computer at the same time. [/b][/quote]
    I had mcafee on it and could not uninstall it but i have deleted all the files for it.

AOL 9.0 with top speed and AOL instant stalker...more expensive than saffron but worth it&#33;

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    BANNED
    what was your version of mcafee?? what was the problem?? what was the uninstall error?? and why in gods name did you delete the file without uninstall?? now you have other files on your pc

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    yep, junk files left behind...(but some un-installers do that , too...) go HERE and maybe find a utility to clean out files, or HERE(theres some pretty cool reg cleaners and temp cleaners and such) IMO a necessity when uninstalling progs
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@24 October 2003 - 02:08
    what was your version of mcafee?? what was the problem?? what was the uninstall error?? and why in gods name did you delete the file without uninstall?? now you have other files on your pc
    It was version 7, when i tried to uninstall it i would get all this fatal error crap and the uninstall would stop (had not yet deleted anything), mcafee will not let you shut it down if it installed, just disable the virus scan for 60 minutes. All this started happening when i tried to upgrade to virus scan 8.0 and it wanted me to first uninstall 7, I am getting a new 120GB hard drive soon so I am going to reinstall windows and everything else on it.

AOL 9.0 with top speed and AOL instant stalker...more expensive than saffron but worth it&#33;

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster
    Originally posted by FKDUP74@24 October 2003 - 07:17
    yep, junk files left behind...(but some un-installers do that , too...) go HERE and maybe find a utility to clean out files, or HERE(theres some pretty cool reg cleaners and temp cleaners and such) IMO a necessity when uninstalling progs
    Would window washer 5 work ok for this?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    yup I had that same problem with mcafee back on my old craptop. damn thing didnt remove itself from the registry, or the autoexec.bat and kept trying to load itself up, even tho it had already been uninstalled.

actually, if you are getting that C error at boot for mcafee, you could try this, it might help. start>run>type in MSCONFIG tic selective startup, the go to the autoexec.bat tab, and untick mcafee, if it&#39;s listed there.

the three top rated VS&#39;s right now are: Panda Titanium, AVP, and Pc-Cillin.
    norton is mediocre; I&#39;ve found viruses with AVP and Pc-Cillin that norton has completely missed.
    So far as NIS- it&#39;s caused conflicts with my other internet software, such as my popup blocker, and Sygate.
    edit: it would block Spybot from innoculating the IE too. I didnt like it

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    i just use mcafee&#33; i updated it and i think its awesome&#33;
    if you dont like it, try norton av(as teh ppl above said).
    i have heard of many others but never used them so i cant help you further than that&#33;

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast