Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: File-Sharing- is it really just a library?

Expeto's Avatar current user title
    what a long thread...

Filesharing isn't the greatest library but the educational trackers are the worlds most accessible libraries.

ps:megabyteme, I'm pretty sure the twin who tried to kill walt without his legs was the evil twin

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Expeto View Post
    what a long thread...

Filesharing isn't the greatest library but the educational trackers are the worlds most accessible libraries.

ps:megabyteme, I'm pretty sure the twin who tried to kill walt without his legs was the evil twin
    Thanks for taking time to read it, Expeto!

You bring up a very great part of the community- the educational trackers, which can by themselves give a very solid college/university equivalency in many areas (I would argue lack of writing and processing to be the weaknesses, otherwise the info alone exceeds a Master's program) yet offers this with variety and to those outside the Western world- FOR ANYONE WILLING TO LEARN. And I am constantly wowed by the numbers of people actually using these resources for computer-related and general knowledge outside of the West.

However, you are only touching upon one part of a very vast system. I may not b e a music fan, but I recognize its importance for enriching one's life. How about accessibility to pop culture as a whole? I believe there is value in simply being aware of "the times we live in". Modern libraries also make efforts to include this as well.

Edit- glad to see another Breaking Bad watcher. If my daughter's screams are any indication, she might have a stronger will than that cousin.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 05-17-2010 at 09:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Expeto's Avatar current user title
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Thanks for taking time to read it, Expeto!

You bring up a very great part of the community- the educational trackers, which can by themselves give a very solid college/university equivalency in many areas (I would argue lack of writing and processing to be the weaknesses, otherwise the info alone exceeds a Master's program) yet offers this with variety and to those outside the Western world- FOR ANYONE WILLING TO LEARN. And I am constantly wowed by the numbers of people actually using these resources for computer-related and general knowledge outside of the West.

However, you are only touching upon one part of a very vast system. I may not b e a music fan, but I recognize its importance for enriching one's life. How about accessibility to pop culture as a whole? I believe there is value in simply being aware of "the times we live in". Modern libraries also make efforts to include this as well.
    Well, firesharing definitely is the biggest music liblary, music is way more popular than ebooks, so there are so many people willing to upload, and so many audiophiles willing to remaster the files for quality assurance.

About the educational staff,life of the material isn't very long and quality is not so assured. Many of them lack of seeding and you can't be sure what you get from the educational trackers are accurate.But there are also less diverse, more accurate, legal alternative university programs like;
    http://oli.web.cmu.edu/openlearning/
    http://oyc.yale.edu/
    http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm
    http://webcast.berkeley.edu/
    But these are definitely not wide as any of the educational trackers.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Those links are very valuable, Expeto. It looks like one still needs to find/buy books, but those pages certainly could serve as a guide. I do wish some of the educational trackers would be more supportive of long-term seeding instead of "grab it as soon as it is uploaded to build your ratio" system that they have stuck to. :erm: The Teaching Company has a lot of great material, and their courses are written and taught by qualified teachers.

You are correct in your assessments- our "library" does have some weaknesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    I've read this whole thread and I have to say this concept is absolutely brilliant. +1 megabyteme! The guy should be a forum star or something...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12