Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suprnova

Poster
    Originally posted by stoi@31 October 2003 - 04:31
    (although, technically, you can't leech with BT)
    I would love to know where ppl get this idea from, that bittorrent is unleachable.

downloading a film of suprnova earlier today, it had 1 seeder and 4 leechers when i started, and was 700meg in size.

I have just downloaded azureaus (the java client) so i thought i would see what all the fuss is about with it.

ok i started the torrent and set the upload to 20KBs (to do my bit) the max download i seen in 1 hour was 10KBs. I just thought this was normal as not many seeders/leechers, but i thought i would give something a go.

i went into the options and set the upload BW to 3KBs (globaly, always a bad sign for a client imo) went back to the download and guess what, downloading at 100KBs+ for all the rest of the file. My share ratio was abysmal after i had finished the file, but as i run my own tracker i know what leechers are doing to bittorrent, so i put it back up to 20KBs for the next 10 hours and had a share ratio of 0.500 and will reseed if the torrent needs it.

so all these ppl that say that you cant leech off bittorrent are talking rubbish, i get better download speeds when i do leech, but i always make it up to at least 0.500 share ratio in the end.

stoi
    My max upload is about 25KB, i usually set it to about 20KB, and i usually get great download speeds as long as there is a few seeds.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Double Agent
    hey is the bt tracker still down? i got downloads stuck at 97% and ppl are uploading from with no downloading progressing thus far...

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Originally posted by stoi@31 October 2003 - 07:31
    (although, technically, you can't leech with BT)
    I would love to know where ppl get this idea from, that bittorrent is unleachable.

downloading a film of suprnova earlier today, it had 1 seeder and 4 leechers when i started, and was 700meg in size.

I have just downloaded azureaus (the java client) so i thought i would see what all the fuss is about with it.

ok i started the torrent and set the upload to 20KBs (to do my bit) the max download i seen in 1 hour was 10KBs. I just thought this was normal as not many seeders/leechers, but i thought i would give something a go.

i went into the options and set the upload BW to 3KBs (globaly, always a bad sign for a client imo) went back to the download and guess what, downloading at 100KBs+ for all the rest of the file. My share ratio was abysmal after i had finished the file, but as i run my own tracker i know what leechers are doing to bittorrent, so i put it back up to 20KBs for the next 10 hours and had a share ratio of 0.500 and will reseed if the torrent needs it.

so all these ppl that say that you cant leech off bittorrent are talking rubbish, i get better download speeds when i do leech, but i always make it up to at least 0.500 share ratio in the end.

stoi
    Technically as in not completely.

You will always upload something with Bittorrent, as opposed to the popular Kazaa leech who doesn't share at all.

Technically

Of course there are ways to be as leech as possible.
    Can't remember a movie's name? Ask help at MovieWorld's Lost & Found

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by NotoriousBIC@31 October 2003 - 19:34
    Technically as in not completely.

You will always upload something with Bittorrent, as opposed to the popular Kazaa leech who doesn't share at all.

Technically

Of course there are ways to be as leech as possible.
    There are firewall tricks/NetLimiter tricks which can cause your upload speed in BT to only be 1 KB/sec or less... and even I've heard of people only uploading a few KB over a 100+ MB file.

Maybe that's not technically 'total leeching', but it's REALLY danged close.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    True, just pointing out the difference between a BT leecher and a Kazaa leecher.
    Can't remember a movie's name? Ask help at MovieWorld's Lost & Found

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Double Agent
    but what about ppl who have monthly bw allotments?

they have to limit their upload to a certain degree, otherwise they wouldn't survive on bittorrent at all.

ppl who live in uk in some isp give them something like 1.5GB a month, that's not a lot at all. so they have to find some way to upload 1.5GB a month without going over, otherwise isp cap their traffic so bad, it's no different than using a 56k.

they HAVE TO LEECH.

nothing they can do about that

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    They don't have to leech if they want something downloaded then that is the price to pay so whatever u upload is what u upload.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    b4 my new connection (yesturday) i would get my dl speed max out in suprnova w/ every dl (55-60kb/s) but now w/ a 3mb connection, i get less then half (145-150kb/s) becuz although there are 5 seeders they upload to me at a rate of 3kb/s. and the 18 peers im connected to give me total of 50kb/s w/ the exception of one nice person whos giving me almost 90 kb/s. ty whoever u are.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@1 November 2003 - 09:44
    ppl who live in uk in some isp give them something like 1.5GB a month, that's not a lot at all. so they have to find some way to upload 1.5GB a month without going over, otherwise isp cap their traffic so bad, it's no different than using a 56k.

they HAVE TO LEECH.

nothing they can do about that
    The upload bandwidth HAS to come from somewhere, or NO p2p file sharing system can survive!

Work with local friends to get what you want. If 10 people download 10 separate things then share OFFLINE, that's a 10:1 bandwidth savings on BOTH uploads and downloads.

If you can, get a cheap back-up dial-up connection too. v.92 56k connections are not too bad compaired to the poor rates many 'broadband' connections are getting on KL++ now!

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Yep, u can get a free dial-up that's the best thing to do for peeps with caps just download songs and stuff with dialup then when u want something big use the DSL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast