Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBinup Problems

YencBin Poster
    Easy Usenet Uploader created by the same author is better and less buggy than yencbin poster

PS

Funny thing.. ive just tested easy usenet uploader(EUU) vs camelsystem powerpost(CP). 20(and 12) connections in EUU vs 12 connections in CP

EUU didnt manage to get upload rate higher than 3.0-3.2MB , CPP on the other hand did a great jog of achieving 4.8-4.9MB
    Last edited by Hypatia; 07-31-2010 at 01:25 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    What got me going on this JBinup was the built-in SSL; I have s slew of PowerPost variants, but hadn't heard about this Camelsystems one.

I've had the stunnel on a machine for quite a while, but it's my most pathetic machine (horsepower wise, a Duron just about 0Mhz!), that was simply crawling along, but I'm working toward swapping things around a bit the next couple of weeks, and will be putting an Athlon64 (2.8Ghz) machine into that spot.

So maybe stunnel will work better when I get through getting a new machine built (to take the Athlon's 'spot') and pull the current 'posting' machine out to my junk machine pile.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    newsgroupie
    Good idea. Funny how some people use their old ready-for-recycling computer for uploading files

Not wanting to kill another hard drive, I used to use an old PC I got out of a garbage heap for seeding on eDonkey. Of course Java applications never seem to work well on old PCs; it couldn't use Limewire.

One reason I have not posted binaries in awhile is because this PC has a strange (hardware-based) crashing problem and I don't want to crap up usenet with incomplete/corrupt articles whenever it crashes.
    Last edited by zot; 08-01-2010 at 03:03 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Well, usenet posting is a pretty low-intensity task (or should be!), that old machine only has 200G of hd space, 512M of ram, running w2k (although as does the machine that will replace it, solid as a rock), but another bottleneck is that it's only 100Mb/s Ethernet port, when virtually my entire network is gigabit (only a couple of boxes, non-pc's, are not).

We shall see, after I get through 'invigorating the economy' and have this new machine built (6core FX Phenom), still wrangling with the basic hard drives to go with it (right now, twin WD 1TB 'black' SATA3-6gb/s).

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    newsgroupie
    I wonder if Windows 2000 might be the problem. Most applications are not tested on old operating systems by the developers, and often times, not enough people use them to report problems. Even old versions of XP sometimes don't work well with recent versions of certain apps, as I've painfully discovered. Also consider that Powerpost was around during the Win2000 era while Jbinup was more recent.
    Last edited by zot; 08-01-2010 at 11:42 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    I'm the author of yEncBin Poster and Easy Usenet Uploader and I can confirm that a program can work perfectly with one newsserver and has a lot of problems with an other newsserver.

Also, upload tools are not updated as often as download tools (newsreaders). One of the reason is there's less interest in upload tools. If you go to the JBinUp or CamelSystem PowerPost forum, the first thing you'll notice is that these forums are almost dead with about 1 new thread/reply (or even less) a week. The forums for newsreaders like Newsleecher, Alt Binz, SABnzbd+ and NewsBin Pro are a lot more active. Nobody really tries to help to improve the upload tools, so programmers eventually start to lose their interest in the project and do less work/updates. This is also the reason why I quit developing yEncBin Poster and Easy Usenet Uploader.

To answer Hypatia reply about Easy Usenet Uploader being slower than PowerPost.... PowerPost is written in C++ and is multithreaded. While uploading one part to the newsserver a new part is read and yEnc encoded in a separate thread. In other words, the program can keep uploading without interruptions.

Easy Usenet Uploader is written in the old/ancient VB6 that does not support mulithreading. This means that a part is read and yEnc encoded and then uploaded... a new part is read and yEnc encoded and then uploaded... etc, all in one thread. While reading/encoding a part the upload is halted for a fraction of a second, because it can only do one thing at a time and this causes the overall upload speed to be slower when uploading with a very fast internet connection.
    Last edited by IceStorm; 08-25-2010 at 09:49 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    It's s pretty bad situation. I came back to this thread after quite a while, simply because of all the (censored) crap going on right now just because Giganews decided to go off the tracks, and too many providers out there are too tightly wound up with them.

There MIGHT be more 'traffic' on the JBinUp and Camelsystems forum, IF they would actually spend the minimal amount of time/effort to translate their log-in process to English. Unfortunately, the Dutch is just too far off from it's roots in German to be possibly figured out, even with my current pathetic (it's been 25+ years) German ability.

The Camelsystem Powerpost looks to work fine in non-SSL, but the SSL is not working, and the 'documentation' is nill. The JBinUp simply has too many errors going on to use in any consistent way. So, it's kinda back to ground zero.

I think that overall, it's simply cases of programmers (professional or not) simply thinking that their code is without error, or why would they not write any clear documentation?

Add: BUT, if I had not spent time and effort trying to get stunnel originally working with PowerPost, I wouldn't have been able to figure out what was going on. BUT, it's still pretty easy to 'confuse' Camelsystem Powerpost , I'll wait and see it it will recover decently from continually trying to post duplicate message ID"s... that plus eating up CPU cycles like mad I'll have to do yet more extended-term testing to see if the machine will hold up to such 'abuse'..
    Last edited by Beck38; 09-15-2010 at 10:55 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    newsgroupie
    Hey Beck, before you give up, you might want to know that Usenet Explorer (usenetexplorer.com) offers a free text/binary poster. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't work perfectly for you when posting binaries using SSL and multiple connections. Did I mention that Usenet Explorer is a highly advanced, extremely configurable, feature-packed, well-coded (low resource load & bug-free) software application?

Depending on your level of "geekiness" - you will either love Usenet Explorer or hate it.

From the website:
    Free poster

The program contains free text/binary poster, also related functionality like newsgroup list related is free. The reason for including it as a free tool is existing widely used poster 'powerpost' is terrible by introducing options that may puzzle text newsreaders by forming invalid subjects and arbitrary placing references which isn't used by binary downloaders anyway and has backlog of all kinds of problems.

The poster can post par2 sets, nzb and sfv files, for posting par2 it seamlessly uses par2 command line client. Other features are reposting segments/attachments, retrying posts reposting only failed segments, post task persistency between sessions, simultaneously posting several posts each to its own server (but still not suitable for sending spam), remembering prior posts etc. See the post menu and edit menu->properties->posts for related settings.
    If you download the 2-week "trial" version, it eventually turns into nagware whenever you start it, but just hit the "post" icon on the toolbar at the top and the nag screen immediately disappears, and it allows you to post indefinitely.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    I've taken a look at just about everything, I'll try that after I get through my latest 'push'...!

Right now, I have two machines in the 'service bay', one that got hammered by an anti-malware program (Malwarebytes) that I couldn't quite figure out how to recover (so, invigorate the economy and give the local pc shop a few bucks), plus my new 6core machine with Win7 I toyed with for a couple weeks before coming to the conclusion that once again, I need to wait until M$ gets it's act together and releases at least one service pack on... (having it rolled back to, yes, Vista, which I have working excellently at this point on another machine, again, after the two service packs).

But as I 'skipped' getting into Vista in the 'early' days, I got a good shot at what folks must have been going through, and IMHO Win7 is 'not ready for prime time', at least for the simply applications I need it to run.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    @Beck38, which applications don't you have running on Win7 that seem to run fine on Vista. In no way can I offer help, I'm just curious. I advocate Win7 over Vista to anyone that asks, I'm the tech go to guy for everyone I know, but I wouldn't mind being enlightened in the opposite direction. I have all 3 systems at my house running Win7 64 bit, I was honestly convinced since RC phase to switch away from XP. But you'd figure with a Win7 64 bit system, I'd come across the most difficulties with the plethora of stuff I have running at any given point. You don't think that for your AVERAGE user, Win7 is prime time (considering average user doesn't run a lot of complicated software)?

Back on topic, I've been using Camelsystem Powerpost and haven't had any issues thus far. It works well enough that I haven't even considered finding a different posting prog. Does any other program out there offer advantages over CP that anyone has experienced?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast