Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JBinup Problems

The biggest thing is that JBinup has SSL 'built in', and I found long time ago (and again with Camel/Powerpost) is that stunnel grabs a whole lot of CPU cycles (although both it and the CPP are 'light' in the ram dept.). Of course, the machine I use to post on is a absolutely pitiful 1.3Ghz Sempron, that I wanted to send to the old heap and replace with a 2.8Ghz Athlon64 (but it's the one that got nailed by Malwarebytes!).

Now, back when I had a fairly low-speed DSL line (768Kb/s upstream), it wasn't a problem. But it was Verizon, and they quit my area a couple months back, the 'replacement', Frontier, has 5GB caps on it's DSL services (and no real commercial service). So, the only way to go was with Comcast and a good VPN service on a commercial circuit. It actually came at about the right time, as the HD stuff was really coming together, and I needed LOTS more bandwidth.

The new 3.2Ghz PhenomX6 is to go into MeGUI HD/x264 production. The big problem with Win7 is that they 'thought' (M$) that making the HD codecs a part of the OS would make things 'easier' for newbies, but makes it deadly for anyone who knows what they're doing and needs/wants to run something other than M$ 'certified' codecs. Which is what one needs to do with MeGUI.

That, plus they again 'thought' that doing the same with networking was the 'way to go' as well. I have a very diverse network, including quite a few machines running W2K, the operating system of choice for over 65% of the world's PC's. Win7 won't play well with it at all. Okay with Vista, and I'll presume XP (but have never had that in my network), as well as major problems working with my PCH (popcorn hour) boxes.

So, with those two marks against it, for my network, it was a real bust, and as it was built especially for the first (MeGUI), it's a killer.

My other 'big' machine is a PhenomX4 Vista (3.2Ghz as well), runs MeGUI just fine, but has other 'duties' to perform as well, so that's why the 'new' X6 machine, with the newest MB/chipsets, twin SATA3 drives, tons of superfast ram and such. Now if I can get the Vista and get MeGUI loaded up and 'into production', I'll be a 'happy camper'!
    Last edited by Beck38; 09-16-2010 at 05:28 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    -Actually I remember I never got SSL setup for CP, so I ignored it after that.

-Hmm, I've got MeGui running quite nicely with Win7 64, similar to one of your machines with the AMD Phenom II 955 BE powering it. As far as the codec issue goes, having control over directshow filters is key, and I haven't run into any issues using Shark007 to manage that (did it to make sure everything runs in MC7, but I would say it's accessible to novice users).

-I will agree with you on the networking and Popcorn Hour issues. Some people have gotten their PCHs to work out alright with Win7 systems on the network, but for my setup, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to have it browse SMB. However, as long as I remember either the local IP or client name, I can find the PCH on the network, and I use share links on the PCH to see things the other way around. With so many workarounds, it isn't good for the novice user. Isn't Vista networking pretty much the same though?

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    Microsoft networking has been in the same schema ever since Win95, same through NT, W2K, XP, and Vista. Then in Win7 they decide to go 'off the tracks' and again, try to make it 'easier'. Heck, it was easy in the first place! I'm sure that come around the time of the first major 'tweak' with service pack 1 (supposedly next spring?) that it will be fixed. Bottom line, I spent 2 weeks trying to make it work, my shop spent another 2 weeks trying to make it work...

And Nada. Now, I'll admit my skills aren't anywhere near 100% (I've been retired for 8+ years now), that's why I had the shop take a wack at it. Same with MeGUI. Yep, lots of folks our there running just peachy with Win7 (and I got it working right away on my 'older' Vista machine) but neither I or my shop (3 to 4 top line certified techs) could make it work. I talked to a 2nd shop, some 30 miles from me (that figured out some real toughies for me in the past, considered the best shop in the 11th largest city in the U.S.), and they won't touch Win7 for any of their corporate customers. Vista Only.

And this is in Microsofts back yard! It comes back to that old adage, wait until at least one service pack on any Microsoft OS's. There have been a fair amount of folks that have reported (witn MeGUI), that they had to reload the OS several times on a machine to get it to work, and maybe I got caught up in that inconsistency, but if so, I'd be wondering what the heck is lingering in that box ready to bite my rear! So way fool around with it any more? Four weeks already down the drain, Get Vista and be done with it. The machine I have with it, and service packs 1 & 2 plus all the .net framework stuff, runs beautifully. I wonder if Vista had been this stable and nice upon original release..... naw!

Oh well, it'll all get sorted out at some point. Maybe. What a Mess.

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    I have a very diverse network, including quite a few machines running W2K, the operating system of choice for over 65% of the world's PC's.
    Source please? According to w3schools, the market share of Windows 2000 is 0.4% worldwide . http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    I have been using YENC with SSL forever....

Nice little guide i wrote, and is a pretty simple setup....

I agree on the market share of Windows 2000, no way that many people use it, if anything it's still XP, and I"m sure 7 is making it's way to the top, can't see anyone using Vista still...except my dad
    [center]

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    - Beck,did you update your jvm to the latest version which is: Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.21 (http://www.filehippo.com/download_jre_32/)
    - The latest version of JBinup is NOT XP/2000 friendly,unfortunetely.You need to use the penultimate one wich is: 0.90 Beta 7
    PM me if you cant find it.
    Can't believe the pbs you're running into !

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    newsgroupie
    I just thought I'd mention an additional add-on for your toolbox. A few weeks ago Bintube released what they call a "download accelerator" -- basically a localhost proxy that works with any news client. I'm not sure exactly how it works or just what it does, but it might be worth looking into.

Maybe it's something like Giganews accelerator or Stunnel, perhaps? It claims to compress headers, for instance, but does not mention how many of the three (or four) different header compression standards it supports.

http://www.bintube.com/accelerator.asp

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    Of course, when faced with a bit of a problem, I don't quit trying....!

Over the past several weeks I've been trying different 'flavors' of things, different usenet servers, different uploading s/w; found that of all the PowerPost 'clones' out there with 'more than 4 threads', that Camelsystems worked pretty well (12 threads with SSL via stunnel) but minor glitches drove me back into looking at the JBinup once again in the 'hunt' to get it to operate better.

I'm really unable to 'upgrade' (a misnomer if there ever was one) to a 'newer' OS than w2k, as the machine I'm uploading from has other 'uses' which require it and do not operate (i.e., never upgraded by the programmers) to work with Vista or (yuck) win7. (yep, I know the yuck factor was through the roof on Vista in the early days, I'll try Win7 again when the first decent service pack is out next year).

BUT, I found that despite early problems with Astraweb (due to how their message ID system works vs. newer systems with much longer ID strings), that fixes made it work super great. What was giving Jbinup fits was the high latency posting to servers a continent away or more (upwards of 20 hops, high ms delay, etc.), and using something much closer (Astraweb on the US west coast, just a hop (haha) skip and a jump from me internet wise), calmed it down 100%.

I wonder if the developers of JBinup tested it out with 'lousy' connections...!? Since it comes out of Europe, what they needed to do is test posting through multiple trans-oceanic links (submarine fiber) to see how it dealt with (or not) high levels of latency and such. It seems to be a bit too sensitive, even with setting the 'check' settings pretty far 'back'; I did some testing with a dual server type configuration (check server different than the posting one), but since it started working so well with a 'close' server, I put additional testing in that area 'on the shelf' for a bit.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but it seems extremely stable, again, with a 'close' server.

Bit of an Update:
    Finally ran into some transmission problems, as a couple of the routers in my path to the usenet server went off on a tangent.... BUT, JBinup managed to recover with no lasting problems. I watched somewhat closely for a couple of hours, saw another 2-3 'hiccups' with those routers, and again, JBinup had no real problem recovering, and making the upload 'perfect. It was somewhat of a sight to see, but again, this was with a very close server. If it would just work like that with something a continent or two away, it'd be great!
    Last edited by Beck38; 10-09-2010 at 05:16 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123