Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Is FLAC really "better" than high-bit rate MP3?

Poster
    I do a lot of headphone listening and, you're right, 128 kbps mp3s are unlistenable for me. I honestly can't tell the difference between 320 kpbs and FLAC, though.

2. Music   -   #132
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamer_155 View Post
    I can never hear the difference between a good 320kbp MP3 and an avg FLAC
    Neither can I. But, given a choice between the two. I'll choose a FLAC download, even though I know there's no noticeable difference.

3. Music   -   #133
    I think you need to have some decent gear to really appreciate the difference.

4. Music   -   #134
    I generally find that bit rates are dependent on the method of playback. If you're using a basic non hifi setup, then 128k is fine for those without a discerning ear. But as a rule of thumb I use a flac or cda source & rip down to 320k mp3 as standard. It all depends on how picky you are and if you're a grade A audiophile then you're guaranteed to notice the difference. For background noise, 128k is fine.

It all depends on your set up. I'm an audiophile so CDA source / FLAC and mp3 at 320 is the bare minimum for me. Anything else, I really notice the drop in quality. My other half on the other hand could probably listen to 96k to without noticing. It's in the ear of the listener to coin a phrase.
    Last edited by Tel-Bot; 01-22-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Music   -   #135
    I was always listening at 256/320kbps stuff but after I bought the B&W P5 then FLAC is the only choice for me

6. Music   -   #136
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by prossi109 View Post
    I was always listening at 256/320kbps stuff but after I bought the B&W P5 then FLAC is the only choice for me
    Congrats on your purchase. During better times, I purchased a pair of their speakers. Even now that things are much tighter, I still cannot bring myself to part with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Music   -   #137
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prossi109 View Post
    Congrats on your purchase. During better times, I purchased a pair of their speakers. Even now that things are much tighter, I still cannot bring myself to part with them.
    I have mediocre earphones but I compensate by taking a lot of Quaaludes before listening to anything.
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. Music   -   #138
    Poster
    yes it is, i never understood why if something is free and better than paid or restricted codec why not use it in devices. Android finally added native support

9. Music   -   #139
    Donator
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    I do a lot of headphone listening and, you're right, 128 kbps mp3s are unlistenable for me. I honestly can't tell the difference between 320 kpbs and FLAC, though.
    I would agree. My setup at home on my PC includes:

NFB11.321.jpg as my DAC and headphone amplifier to drive
    71J3un9fMgL._SL1500_.jpg

But I can hear a drop in sound quality with any mp3 at 192k or less.

10. Music   -   #140
    FLAC is 2400 bit against 320bit of MP3