Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people go after l33t trackers?

n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    /me came
    /me saw
    /me LOL'd!
    Last edited by n00bz0r; 08-28-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: /me doesn't work anymore :/

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by AbyBeats View Post
    For a Veteran:Extending their e-peen and Bragging rights.

Curiosity is an excuse really.When you hear a "l33t" tracker sucks and there is nothing special in there,why do you care to join?Because you wanna see for yourself how much the tracker sucks?
    Curiosity is not joining a tracker when you very well know what the tracker offers and how it "looks like" but it is when joining a tracker when you dont know anything about it other than rumours,like how people wanted to join CN back sometime when it was a rumour producing factory and when "it dint exist".
    Disagreed. Veterans actually think they "earned" their place in the private BT world, and deserve, as a culmination of their efforts, to get in to certain sites. At a certain point in time, it ceases to be for bragging rights.

Disagreed again. Curiosity will always be a factor. Even if every page of a given tracker is screenshotted out there for people to see, people will still be curious. A noob would be curious about how 1337 his status becomes when he gets in, and a veteran would be curious to see how he'd fit in/if "the community" would wish him well every morning he strolls into IRC. Etc.

As I mentioned a few days ago: It's a crooked BT world we live in, where people forget about the content eventually, make a mockery out of "community participation" mentions, and yet hang out in private BT related forums, and such boards as FST, bad mouthing the entire ordeal, and cursing their woes of being strung out because of one reason or another. The more I get to know people on this corner of the internet, the more I feel like it's a waste of time socializing.
    Ellipses go here.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Everything has been said already. I'd just like to add, that some newbies really are so naive as to think that you can find stuff at FTN for example that can't be found anywhere else. And I'm not making this up either.

Oh and yeah curiousity is a big factor.
    Last edited by The_Martinator; 08-28-2010 at 07:48 AM.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    A's Avatar ... BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ringhunter
    Disagreed. Veterans actually think they "earned" their place in the private BT world, and deserve, as a culmination of their efforts, to get in to certain sites. At a certain point in time, it ceases to be for bragging rights.
    A Veteran feels left out when he dosent get invited to a place and thus he tries to get into that place just to prove/brag to others that he is "l33t" enough.This may not be the case of some but it is for the majority.Veterans feels the pressure of not being "l33t" enough if they are not in a tracker which hails itself to be "l33t" enough.

Disagreed again. Curiosity will always be a factor. Even if every page of a given tracker is screenshotted out there for people to see, people will still be curious. A noob would be curious about how 1337 his status becomes when he gets in, and a veteran would be curious to see how he'd fit in/if "the community" would wish him well every morning he strolls into IRC. Etc.
    A n00b thinks he becomes 1337 when he gets in and a *majority* of the veterans does what I said above."Even if every page of a given tracker is screenshotted out there for people to see, people will still be curious" Thats not curiosity,its desire to be part of a special circle.

As I mentioned a few days ago: It's a crooked BT world we live in, where people forget about the content eventually, make a mockery out of "community participation" mentions, and yet hang out in private BT related forums, and such boards as FST, bad mouthing the entire ordeal, and cursing their woes of being strung out because of one reason or another. The more I get to know people on this corner of the internet, the more I feel like it's a waste of time socializing.
    True that.People socialize for the sake of socializing to get what they want in BT not because they enjoy it.(I dont mean you do that,I am talking about things in general)
    Last edited by A; 08-28-2010 at 08:34 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    a REAL veteran doesn't need to try to get into l33t places; those invites are already being thrown at them. noobs grovel to get into trackers
    Last edited by 1000possibleclaws; 08-28-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: just cuz u got ur pretty ass invited to fsc/ftn, u are not a 'vet' of torrenting. u r more than likely a confused suck up

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000possibleclaws View Post
    a REAL veteran doesn't need to try to get into l33t places; those invites are already being thrown at them. noobs grovel to get into trackers
    QFT.

And torrenting ain't the only way to get your filez. Everyone focussed on tracker-l33tness should wander a bit on http-boards and usenet-boards and they would soon notice there are countless ways and places to get the same content without the need to be part of small l33t trackers.

Although a majority of the n00bs start out like 'invite-hunters' I'm conviced the ones with a shred of intelligence will eventually realise it's all just a bunch of trackers, nothing more, nothing less and just move on.
    The ones that keep chasing for l33tness are the retards imo.
    Can you feel the LOVE

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000possibleclaws View Post
    QFT.

And torrenting ain't the only way to get your filez. Everyone focussed on tracker-l33tness should wander a bit on http-boards and usenet-boards and they would soon notice there are countless ways and places to get the same content without the need to be part of small l33t trackers.

Although a majority of the n00bs start out like 'invite-hunters' I'm conviced the ones with a shred of intelligence will eventually realise it's all just a bunch of trackers, nothing more, nothing less and just move on.
    Couldn't have said it better.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    YAY FOR TRADING/! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme
    i don't nor have i ever chased for invites/accounts to the obvious top-tier trackers/communities, but somehow i am or used to be a member of them, does that make me retarded?

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    YoYoY's Avatar Am Livin' It BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bz0r View Post
    /me came
    /me saw
    /me LOL'd!
    /me too

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    bluri
    In many cases it's simply curiosity. If you like all tracker related stuff I don't see a proper reason not to try obtain also l33t ones.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast