Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: New Pc - Plz Check Specs For Me!

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Jeez,
    Why not just hook a leaf blower up to your HS?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@8 November 2003 - 15:52
    Jeez,
    Why not just hook a leaf blower up to your HS?
    i was thinking of doing that , then i remembered by system is in my bedroom! its quiet at lower rpms, though (like my aero 7 lite that i have at the moment)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    Kunal, I have been doing a lot of research into HSF hardware of late, and frankly, the state of the art is pretty pathetic.

No one seems to have come up with a good combination that dissipates heat and is quiet. At least using straight fan cooling.

It's way too easy to simply hang a big fan spinning at high rpm's on a copper heatsink and claim that your HSF assembly really works. Most of what I've seen is designed more to look cool than to really work effectively.

Even the Zalman HS that I finally settled on sacrifices thermal efficiency for low noise.

We are faced with a number of problems that have to be dealt with.

My CPU sits directly under my PSU, for instance. The whole area is one giant heattrap.
    Even assuming that your HS is really functioning well ( and ignoring the sound issue momentarily) where is all the heat supposed to go?
    In order to make an effective heatsink, copper is the material of choice and the bigger the better. But really, how big can it be and how heavy a HS can you hang on a mobo?

Basically, air cooling sucks I've decided.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@8 November 2003 - 16:18
    Basically, air cooling sucks I've decided.
    i cant afford water cooling though (im only 15 you know&#33

thanks for all your help clocker, ive ordered the volcano 12, and ill post my temps when i get it, ill try quite a few setups and see which is best. ive been testing out the best setup for my sytem temp and ive decided that one front intake, top extractor and side input is best, i tried a rear extractor, but that increased the temp

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

I arrived at the same conclusion about the rear extractor fans. They really didn't seem too effective. Everywhere you go people are always recommending a intake fan in the lower front and an extractor fan high up in the back, but my testing has shown this to be myth.
    Hot air doesn't travel horizontally and unless you have monster fans spinning very fast, you don't generate a flow of air that travels all the way across the length of your case.
    Try taping some string to your case roof with little bits of paper on the free end and see what moves and what doesn't. You might be surprised. It helps ( in fact it's mandatory&#33 if you have a window in your side panel, as your results are only valid if your case is closed as normal.

I think that VirtualBody is on to something by cutting air intakes into his case floor.
    He just screens them, I installed fans, but either way you are taking advantage of the natural tendency of air to rise when heated. If you go with the flow (sorry) instead of trying to direct it, your results may be very good.
    Pictures and stats if and when possible, please.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    Poster
    clocker well my temps at the moment (in a 26c room&#33 are 28c system and 42c cpu and im still working on a better setup im hopefully a dual fan psu and find a better setup of fans, ive got 6 80mm lying around (somewhere&#33

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456