Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516

Thread: Apple sucks, don't succumb to iRape

Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Correct, on all counts. However, when both Android and iOS launched (with Linux and OSX kernels respectively), Symbian still made them both look like toys. I have obviously since moved to a SGSII, mainly because of the gorgeous screen, and have modded it to hell and back to make it usable, because frankly AOSP Android handles like a broken Lancer. Symbian Belle handles like an ES300.

Either way, both are obsolete. We both know that Windows 8 ARM is going to be a staple very soon, and it will be a two leg race between iOS/OSX and 8ARM/8x86.
    Ellipses go here.

2. Lounge   -   #152
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Much of the stuff you listed on the software side is shared with Android. As for the hardware side, that's completely device dependent. The applications and hunting down/acquisition was a pain in the ass, as was rooting and messing with custom ROMs. I pretty much hated all of my Symbian applications. Google music works fantastic for me for what little use it gets, and I haven't seen a more superior video player than Mobo Player on ANY device (options for soft decode playback when hardware can't decode, it's like switching to ffmpeg, peformance of that varies with device obviously). I've been able to find much better apps and then some ever since I switched from my Samsung Innov8 to the Samsung Galaxy S. There isn't a single thing I really miss from my old phone with the exception of FM radio (but even that was annoying since the wire coming out of the jack acted as the antenna.

Symbian development could have turned up something that rivaled Android, but Nokia dropped the fucking ball on that one. I was more than happy to depart.
    Nokia slowed down development of Symbian while exploring Linux based alternatives. First it developed a version of Maemo (V5) for use with a highend smartphone the N900, but there were no third party takers for software development. Then Nokia partnered with Intel to develop an offshoot of Maemo called MeeGo. Intel pulled out of being a development partner and leaving Nokia once again with few development partners.
    This is the most important factor involved in releasing an O/S, the third party support of the O/S. Developers moved away from Symbian because there was a far more popular choice out there being taken up by multiple handset vendors that includes a software showcase in Android Market/Play. With the loss of Intel as a partner for MeeGo, there was very little support for this as an alternative and no other handset makers were prepared to pay the royalties when Android is offered free.
    The last port of Symbian I used was S60 V5 which was supposed to be updated for touchscreen, it was a pig to be honest it was very slow and clunky and although there are things I adore about the Symbian O/S this version managed to turn me off completely, where as Android is getting better all the time.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516