Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple sucks, don't succumb to iRape

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    The act of rape requires that it is against a person's will and I don't see anyone holding a knife to people's throats forcing them to do anything here.
    Rape comes in different flavors. The one I'm describing is NOT the violent confrontational type. The kind I'm talking about is the one where you go out with a couple of friends, and you meet some of their friends who seem cool enough. After lots of drinking the night just feels naturally fun, until you start feeling funny over that last salty shot you had. It's not the "that tequila seemed bad" bad, but "I feel like I'm leaving my body" bad. You wake up in the back seat of your car with your pants and boxer briefs crumpled up behind the passenger seat. You reach back and there's dry crusted blood and semen all over your ass cheeks and legs... and that's when you realize... you spent the night with Steve Jobs.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint View Post
    Don't understand this hate for Apple, you can't say that they aren't one of the most innovative company of the last 10 years.

I'm happy with all the mac os products I own, not that I praise Apple or anything. Really don't see how iTunes is such a bad program, it gets the job done for me...
    Sure I can, Apple is not one of the most innovative companies in the last 10 years. They certainly didn't innovate technology, rather they designed and marketed successfully, then charged a ridiculously overpriced amount. That second thing is what people are really calling innovation, aka branded appeal, but that's been done by others in the past (put your own examples here, I'll give you some obvious ones... Nike, Rolex). Apple won't be the last to do it either, it's a scheme that will persist into the future, like what's happening now with "organic food". It impresses the simple minded, but as someone who has never been swept up with a brand and generally recognizes the population as manipulated sheep, it's just not impressive. So that would be why I CAN make the statement in the first sentence of my reply.

It was asked of me earlier, was there an incident in my past that lead me to be this way? Unfortunately yes, I grew up a very poor child. Because of this great misfortune, our family had always been forced to truly evaluate the worth or value of products compared to their price and make intelligent and well thought out decisions about consumer purchases. This was forced onto me at a young age, and I have also adopted this mentality. So while all the other kids were branded, I sought only the most comfortable clothing with a style I could personally agree with, and not any one piece of clothing over $10. I would get the Sega Genesis as the Saturns would come into play, get the PSOne 3-4 years after launch. I got all the same enjoyment, just later down the road. It's like avoiding the $13/mo to watch some excellent HBO show while it's first on, and just renting some 2 seasons at a blockbuster in one sitting (at least that's how I would have done it in the past).

Currently Apple is only riding its own marketing wave, their style is just an Apple style, their technology is not superseding (I could have sworn that's spelled with a 'c') any other technology, and they're still clinging to the same restrictive policies that have made their products shit in the past. Recently someone I know suffered from this affliction and spent $2000 on a laptop, when I could have easily found one with better hardware, a nice design, and ran a newer version of Linux on it (he was MS weary). This genuinely pains me, to see someone so fresh a victim, and only a little bit of time will pass before he realizes what a mistake it was, since I personally take it upon myself to show them better products at better prices after the fact. Yes, I am that much of a dick to my friends, it should make all the more sense of my exaggerated personality here.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint View Post
    Don't understand this hate for Apple, you can't say that they aren't one of the most innovative company of the last 10 years.

I'm happy with all the mac os products I own, not that I praise Apple or anything. Really don't see how iTunes is such a bad program, it gets the job done for me...

Sure I can, Apple is not one of the most innovative companies in the last 10 years. They certainly didn't innovate technology, rather they designed and marketed successfully, then charged a ridiculously overpriced amount. That second thing is what people are really calling innovation, aka branded appeal, but that's been done by others in the past (put your own examples here, I'll give you some obvious ones... Nike, Rolex). Apple won't be the last to do it either, it's a scheme that will persist into the future, like what's happening now with "organic food". It impresses the simple minded, but as someone who has never been swept up with a brand and generally recognizes the population as manipulated sheep, it's just not impressive. So that would be why I CAN make the statement in the first sentence of my reply.

It was asked of me earlier, was there an incident in my past that lead me to be this way? Unfortunately yes, I grew up a very poor child. Because of this great misfortune, our family had always been forced to truly evaluate the worth or value of products compared to their price and make intelligent and well thought out decisions about consumer purchases. This was forced onto me at a young age, and I have also adopted this mentality. So while all the other kids were branded, I sought only the most comfortable clothing with a style I could personally agree with, and not any one piece of clothing over $10. I would get the Sega Genesis as the Saturns would come into play, get the PSOne 3-4 years after launch. I got all the same enjoyment, just later down the road. It's like avoiding the $13/mo to watch some excellent HBO show while it's first on, and just renting some 2 seasons at a blockbuster in one sitting (at least that's how I would have done it in the past).

Currently Apple is only riding its own marketing wave, their style is just an Apple style, their technology is not superseding (I could have sworn that's spelled with a 'c') any other technology, and they're still clinging to the same restrictive policies that have made their products shit in the past. Recently someone I know suffered from this affliction and spent $2000 on a laptop, when I could have easily found one with better hardware, a nice design, and ran a newer version of Linux on it (he was MS weary). This genuinely pains me, to see someone so fresh a victim, and only a little bit of time will pass before he realizes what a mistake it was, since I personally take it upon myself to show them better products at better prices after the fact. Yes, I am that much of a dick to my friends, it should make all the more sense of my exaggerated personality here.
    I'm a cheap bastard.
    /fixed.

-doobs
    Last edited by brotherdoobie; 03-23-2011 at 09:00 PM.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdoobie View Post

I don't feel like he's the next incarnation of Satan, tho. Jon Bon Jovi seems to feel different however: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20043351-71.html
    That says he called Jobs, "personally responsible for killing the music business." You can't argue with the enormous success of iTunes or the numbers it's put up. What a moran.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/24/a...way-to-the-ba/

yo

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    It seems someone read this thread.
    That gay's cure app was removed: http://mashable.com/2011/03/23/apple-removes-gay-cure/

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    It seems someone read this thread.
    That gay's cure app was removed: http://mashable.com/2011/03/23/apple-removes-gay-cure/
    The news of it spread rather rapidly, after all there's a lot of tech (err prog) people out there that despise the app approval process. So when they pull some shit like this, word gets around quickly. It was an inflammatory decision made by Apple given the context. I didn't doubt it was going to be removed either, but it doesn't undo the fact that they reviewed it and found nothing objectionable.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdoobie View Post
    I'm a cheap bastard.
    /fixed.
    My 3rd grade book report
    /clarified
    Last edited by mjmacky; 03-24-2011 at 12:21 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    I have two rules when thinking of buying new technology: don't buy it until it's been out at least a few years (the time it takes to iron out the kinks), and then pore over Which? magazine to get the best model for me. I seem to remember Creative came out on top on price and value for money last time I bought an MP3 player and that's why I bought a Zen XFi, but I would get an Apple product if it rated well. Most of the anti-Apple brigade are just contrarians who believe they are purer and more whole human beings when separating themselves from mere mortals and do not wish to sedate themselves with 'the opiates of the masses'. Sometimes they ponder on their individuality as they sit on tube trains listening to RATM loudly on their non-Apple MP3 players, sneaking furtive, hopeful glances at the women sat in the carriage also, wondering if these women have any idea they are sat right next to greatness. They don't though, because all they see is a pathetic scrawny web designer with bad tattoos on his puny arms, wanking over his own brilliance.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    Most of the anti-Apple brigade are just contrarians who believe they are purer and more whole human beings when separating themselves from mere mortals and do not wish to sedate themselves with 'the opiates of the masses'
    Though I am personally above mere mortals, and revel in contrarianism, they're surprisingly not the reason I'm anti-Apple. That might qualify for other companies with a much broader spectrum, but Apple is just too specific. They have:
    iPod - MP3/music/video player
    iPhone - a touch screen phone with iOS
    Macbook - a laptop
    iPad - tablet computer on iOS
    then the less successful Apple TV (media device) and desktop (a computer that is harder to move around than a laptop).
    So, for each of these Apple devices, there are numerous devices that are much more versatile, equipped, and cheaper than their iCounterparts.

What I am contrary to, is the idea that the iVersion of any of these product classes is the top of the class. Even if they sell more, it doesn't make them the better purchase...

I remember a few professors going on about when they do presentations, they must have a Macbook. As if it was some faux pas to connect your PC laptop to the projector when travelling. It was slightly based on the concept the video-out port, like it was some voodoo to make a signal to the projector. So essentially, you're paying an EXTRA $1000 to avoid learning how Windows handles external displays (though admittedly I don't really like XP's method/reliance on CCC or nVidia control panel for cloning displays in some situations). Just shit like that bothers me.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Cheap simply brings more choices, and the ability to do more that matters to you (extra projects around the house).
    That's what we are doing, and I am literally scrambling to get the best deals on every single item so that we can get these major renovations done. I'm freakin' swamped.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast