Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is my usenet not maxing my Internet.

I'm a torrent user who recently switched to usenet and I really like usenet better but I always heard usenet always maxed out your connection but I'm only get 1 - 2 mbps my internet connection is 20 mbps. I'm using newshosting.com as my provider. Why are my downloads slow (well I wouldnt call it slow(: ) is there something I should do to make them faster.? I'm using sabnzbd as my client.
    Last edited by Bpear96; 05-03-2011 at 01:00 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    1)how many connections are u using? try setting 10-15 + try europe or us servers and see for yourself which one is better for you
    http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/configure-servers-v2

2) Almost no one here would recommend you newshosting due to many incompletes..
    i'd suggest you to get astraweb next time =)
    Last edited by Hypatia; 05-03-2011 at 01:17 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Increase the number of connections, pick a server that's geographically close to you, and make sure your ISP doesn't shape Usenet traffic (although this is unlikely to be the case if they didn't shape torrents).
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I'm in the us so how do I pick the u.s server right now I'm using news.newshosting.com on port 563 with ssl ..I might sign up for the 1 year $95 from usenetserver.com are they good?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I've been on UNS for the past 6 months, and I have only good things to say about them.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    2 Cabalo
    usenetserver.com is a highwinds reseller...that says it all, really

Bpear96
    .I might sign up for the 1 year $95 from usenetserver.com are they good?
    there is no point in switching between resellers of the same company

you can sign up for one year at astraweb
    but first i'd recommend to try them for a month..
    they dont have a trial but if im not mistaken you can ask for refund within 24 hours if you didnt like the service
    Last edited by Hypatia; 05-03-2011 at 09:13 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    newsgroupie
    Newshosting and Usenetserver (both Highwinds), Astraweb, and UsenetNow (Readnews) all offer a yearly plan (discount special) for about the same price ($95-$100) but I would strongly recommend NOT getting a yearly plan until you gain some experience first. All these companies offer 'special' rates of $10/month to $11/month for unlimited w/SSL.

Every provider has its strengths and weaknesses. There is no "best" for everyone; it comes down to what things are important to YOU.

Newshosting, UsenetServer, and other Highwinds resellers have poor completion, especially in the 450-900 day range, compared to Astraweb and Readnews.

At $10/month and $100/year, both Usenetserver and Newshosting are as good a deal as you will find. However, their current retention problems prevents me from recommending them over other companies such as Astraweb, Usenetnow/Ngroups, or Supernews, which have similar prices but substantially better completion.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    @Bpear96 - Are you sure you are not getting 2+Megabytes/sec with Sabnzbd - you should get 2.5MB/s with a 20Mbit connection with Newshosting, that's what I get at home, I get 98MBit at the office...as others suggest you may want to change ports and use SSL, also tweak the number of connections
    Digital World...You can't handle the Digital World! What did your Mom buy you a PUTER for Christmas!
    http://usenetgeeks.com

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by nntpjunkie View Post
    @Bpear96 - Are you sure you are not getting 2+Megabytes/sec with Sabnzbd - you should get 2.5MB/s with a 20Mbit connection with Newshosting, that's what I get at home, I get 98MBit at the office...as others suggest you may want to change ports and use SSL, also tweak the number of connections
    Yea I'm sure I'm getting 1.6 Mbps right now I tried changing the ports and connections didn't make much a difference

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    whats your ISP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast