Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Etiquettes For Posting In Software World

There is no need for this to get pinned because the people we are targetting don't read the pinned topic anyways.
    I would suggest people who agree to the etiquettes to post a link in the topics where its happening to let them know about this. And support each other where its happening. If someone is referring them to post it correctly and the other goes about just answering, it doesnt help. We all have to work as a team.

@uNz[i]. you are right about people not reading the FAQ, Pinned topics or even using search option. But all we can do is just try. If answers are in FAQ we should suggest people to refer to FAQ rather than posting the answers. This way it will increase more and more people actually reading the FAQ and not just coming in for quick answers and more useless threads.

Let me know what you guys think about this.

-
    I.am
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    I.am - I agree with you, firstly, that this shouldn&#39;t be pinned. One of my few complaints about the K-Lite board is there are so many pinned topics. For example a guide to using Alcohol 120%. Forgive me, but I don&#39;t even know what that is. That plus the default display makes it so that over half the topics are pinned. IMHO that&#39;s pin abuse.

Also, thanks for the link to this post. I was reading your reply to a post I made (the one about Internet Explorer, I believe) and saw the link and said "what the hell."

I knew most of it but it was kind of a refreshment.

Over on the Disturbed board "bump" is used WAY too much. I&#39;m glad people here seem to think it&#39;s not such a good thing. If they don&#39;t "bump" they "(((((hug)))))" which IMO is basically the same thing.

You may find that part of the problem with FAQs is people don&#39;t want to read them. Especially if they&#39;re long. Especially if there are a few of them. However, they&#39;re willing to post a question, and wait twice the time it would take to read all the FAQs, for a person to answer their question. Why this is, the world will probably never know.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    @DarkReality, Yup the link you gave for IE SP1 update was really helpful.

You are right about the pinned topics and FAQ. I wish the same thing.
    The default display does make it worse and many are not aware of that they can change their display settings so it proves to be useless for them. They just skip to the second page.

oh btw, Alochol is a wonderful CD/DVD burning software. I didnt know that either when the topic was pinned. I guess you learn something new every day, and thats what makes it living worthwhile

Have a good day
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Very nice post, I.am. One additional point - when using the Search function, make sure to change it to &#39;Any date&#39; instead of the default &#39;30 days ago&#39;.

I also wholeheartedly agree about the importance of detailed Topics and Descriptions. I usually just scan the forums for subjects that interest me, and I almost always skip the ones that say "PLEASE HELP&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;".

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    Very much agreed NW. I&#39;ve done that every time since someone told me about it. Very good tip. I wonder if the admins can change the default. I&#39;ll have to get back to you, as I am admin of an IPB as well. If I see it in my control panel, I&#39;ll PM Paul (he&#39;s your admin right?) and suggest it to him.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Thanks guys&#33; Apparantly it worked.

Haven&#39;t seen any annoying one&#39;s in software world in a while now.

I guess its time to pull down the link from my sig

One can always refer it to this if the need arises.

Have a good day&#33;
    I.am

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123