Thread: What do you think about online filters?

jamie's Avatar MODERATION
    Abstract: As web companies strive to tailor their services (including news and search results) to our personal tastes, there's a dangerous unintended consequence: We get trapped in a "filter bubble" and don't get exposed to information that could challenge or broaden our worldview. Eli Pariser argues powerfully that this will ultimately prove to be bad for us and bad for democracy.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser...r_bubbles.html

What do you guys think about this?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I find it unbelievable that you haven't been banned.

I also find it unbelievable that you expect no one to notice the sudden increase in your level of English comprehension.

Lastly I find it unbelievable that you'd think I'd actually click on any link you posted here.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I find it unbelievable that you haven't been banned.

I also find it unbelievable that you expect no one to notice the sudden increase in your level of English comprehension.

Lastly I find it unbelievable that you'd think I'd actually click on any link you posted here.
    The TED domain is safe, so I think you lost the last part of the argument. So who's the dupe account?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Maybe it isn't an unintended consequence and is in fact social engineering on a massive scale.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Maybe it isn't an unintended consequence and is in fact social engineering on a massive scale.
    Aren't all social networks that ? Or at least the advertising and 'free' games that come part and parcel seem to be a rather creepy attempt at social engineering.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    I tried an online filter once, when I was drunk at a party. I regretted it to the max.
    Now go away.