Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Domestic Cats, Kill Them All!

BANNED
    I would tell you to grow up too UKman, but you obviously don't have too much more to do!

And I put the same question to you, what has you being a cat lover got to do with Australia's cat problem? Should we allow it to continue because you love cats?

2. Lounge   -   #102
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@12 November 2003 - 09:56
    Grow up!

Enough said...

3. Lounge   -   #103
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    Originally posted by Rocktron@12 November 2003 - 18:51

It has EVERYTHING to do with me.. i happen to have lost my favorite cat 3 weeks ago. I had her for 16 years. (check my avatar)

I don't think you reached that age yet did you?
    Well, I'm sorry for your loss Rocktron, I still grieve for every animal I've ever lost. But it just proves the point that you are reacting purely emotionally. Spare a bit of emotion for the native animals. When I have some time I'll find some pictures of the species being devasted by feral cats, and domestic cats not properly supervised. In some states cats out after curfew can be picked up by rangers and taken to the local pound. The owners are fined and hopefully will take better care of their kitty in future. Our kids are taught in school about our eco system and the effects of introduced species on it, so hopefully in the future we won't be facing these problems. It doesn't help the existing problem however, and with hundreds of unwanted pets put down each year, the chances of finding families for the feral cats of Australia isn't really likely. Supposing of course you could tame them, which with a 3rd or 4th generation feral also isn't likely.

Please understand that we didn't start the fire, we're just trying to put it out.

Peace to you too UKMan

By the way, have any of you seen the way a cat kills?

4. Lounge   -   #104
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@12 November 2003 - 08:19
    Instead of killing the roos, they should be shooting the pigs, buffalos, horses, camels, foxes, wild dogs, cats, goats and all the other introduced pests. Then they should phase out cattle, and breed native animals like kangaroos, emus and crocodiles for the meat trade.

sounds like racism towards animals.

5. Lounge   -   #105
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@12 November 2003 - 09:59
    I would tell you to grow up too UKman, but you obviously don't have too much more to do!

And I put the same question to you, what has you being a cat lover got to do with Australia's cat problem? Should we allow it to continue because you love cats?

So, you didnt accept my offer - ok.
    Please please Mr Billy_Dean - why oh why do you insist on missing the point here? If you want people to take you seriously, then change your title and start behaving like a grown up. You are just as pathetic with your answers as the next person - myself included. I of course realise that any slagging of you dosnt cut it, now realise that the same goes for me too.

Now piss off and start another shit post - i wont bother replying to that anymore than i'm gonna say anymore here. Dont bother thinking that you have scared me off like others, cause you aint, i just cant be bothered anymore with your arrogant self hypocratic bullshit.

Yeah - i know - so fucking what??

6. Lounge   -   #106
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    Okay, now it time for BigBird again!!!
    (thanks to LTJBukem!!&#33

[img]http://drs.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=bigbird/v=2/l=IVI/*-http://members.iserv.net/lynetteg/pics/bigbird.gif[/img]

Let's loosen up, guys!!

[img]http://drs.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=bigbird/v=2/l=IVI/*-http://www.ozwebart.com.au/balloons/_borders/bigbird.gif[/img]

It's a beautifull day(except for my teeth being pulled in 1 hour......)!!!!

And if you people can't stop taking yourself sooo serious, start a thread let's terminate all shitstirrers!!(not you, BD; you wouldn't hurt a fly, would you???...... )

And now, let me mourn for my teeth!!!!

Yogi[/off ordering toothcoffins.......]

7. Lounge   -   #107
    cowswithguns's Avatar Poster
    Perhaps all the Local Council's could provide every cat owner with one of these.........You could just hang your cat up whilst you are unable to keep an eye on it.

8. Lounge   -   #108
    Regardless of how Billy Dean might start his threads there are usually valid points in there.... along with humour! might not be your sort of humour, you sure can't please all of the people...

I'm kinda glad he brought it up cos now I have a much better understanding of just how bad the problem is. I thought I was doing my bit by being a responsible animal owner and major league respecter of the native wildlife. I have possums and bandicoots cavorting in my back yard, a baby frog mouth owl lives with his mum in one of our trees. I can walk out my back door any night and there will be a couple of green tree frogs sitting there. These are all animals in danger from cats. All gentle creatures that don't stand a chance against a cat and some ferals are enormous.

You appear to be arguing for a savage and merciless introduced killer over helpless native animals.

9. Lounge   -   #109
    The degree of threat posed by cat predation hinges upon:
    • the behavioural, morphological and physiological characteristics of cats which enable them to be more efficient predators than native predators;
    • factors that make cats more abundant or persistent than native predators;
    • the small size and isolation of populations of some threatened species; and
    • the vulnerability (naivety) of native prey to cat predation.

Feral Cats Pose Threat to Native Mammals and Birds
    Embargoed to midnight Monday 23 September 1996
    (116/96)
    The dangers posed to Australia's native mammals and birds by feral cats have been highlighted in a new report.
    In one of three national overviews released today on the impact of introduced species on native wildlife, feral cats are found to prey mainly on marsupials and birds and are thought to be responsible for the decline of many endangered species including the Kowari, Dibbler, Gouldian Finch and Golden-shouldered Parrot.
    Federal Environment Minister Robert Hill says the feral cats report highlights that feral cats prey on native mammals weighing up to 2000 grams and birds up to 3500 grams, but the impact falls most heavily on smaller species of less than 220 grams.
    "Feral animals can affect both primary production and the environment through the spread of disease, competition for food and shelter, and enhanced predation. Management can only be effective when it is clear what level of control is needed to negate any harmful effects of introduced species like feral cats, trout and honeybees."

RESEARCH REPORT
    Eradication of Feral Cats (Felis catus) from Gabo Island, south-east Victoria
    By Keith L. Twyford, Peter G. Humphrey, Ross P. Nunn and Lawson Willoughby
    Summary Concerns about the effects of predation by Feral Cats (Felis catus) on native fauna, particularly breeding seabirds, precipitated a decision in 1987 to control and eventually eradicate cats from Gabo Island. The size of the population prior to control was at least 30 animals. A control programme, undertaken between 1987 and 1991, centred on shooting, trapping and an extensive 1080 poison-baiting programme. Trapping and shooting were ineffectual. Poisoning was the most successful and effective technique for the rapid and widespread reduction in the Feral Cat population on Gabo Island. The effectiveness of dead 1-day-old chickens as a poison carrier was demonstrated. Effective poison baiting was attributed to bait selection and strategic timing of baiting to periods when prey was at low levels. Outcomes from the trapping programme and post-control monitoring strongly suggested that the cat population had been reduced to only two or three animals, possibly of the same sex. Monitoring between 1992 and 1998 failed to record any evidence of cats, indicating that the cats remaining after poison baiting had been unable to sustain a viable population. On the basis of the available evidence, Feral Cats appear to have been successfully eradicated from Gabo Island.

Animal Welfare Concerns
    Animal welfare issues related to feral cat control were thoroughly discussed at a workshop that preceded the preparation of this plan (Carter 1994). Organisations were invited to submit position statements covering animal welfare issues, with the RSPCA and Australian and New Zealand Federation of Animal Societies (ANZFAS) providing such statements (Carter 1994). Both these organisations accepted that there is a need to control feral cats to protect environmental values and wildlife. Both strongly emphasised the need for control methods to be humane. Neither organisation supported the use of mechanical hold fast traps, such as steel-jawed leg-hold traps, that are widely considered to be inhumane, however the recent development of the Victor Soft-catch trap™ may overcome this concern (Meek et. al. 1995)
    ANZFAS was prepared to support research and development into biological reproductive control of feral cats, as long as it was humane and environmentally safe. The RSPCA was prepared to review its position on this issue if the technique could be shown to be humane, and environmentally safe, and if the safety of owned cats could be guaranteed.
    Both organisations recognised the need to control feral cats from time to time. ANZFAS argued for live trapping and humane dispatch, while the RSPCA accepted that lethal baits could be used, under appropriate supervision, in the absence of an alternative. ANZFAS did not support any ‘method of repetitive, lethal control indefinitely...without concurrent research into alternative methods which assure long-term humane control’. In recent comments ANZFAS stressed the need to clearly define the problem caused by cat predation. It is accepted that where the removal of cats would contribute to the balance of the environment, humane control methods must be developed.
    Published June 1999 by Environment Australia under the Natural Heritage Trust.

© Commonwealth of Australia

Now we'll all know a little more.

10. Lounge   -   #110
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Just spend the f*ckin' money out you stupids!

To First castrate all of them

And to Secondly put them all in some closed aeras and feed them

And don't tell me Australia don't have money for this. Just create a new tax to finance it, teach a huge number of unemployed people how to castrate a cat and that's all!

Why continuing to argue it's becoming pointless!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast