Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new project

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Hi all!
    Been a while since I did anything I thought worth sharing but a long gestating idea has finally come to fruition and here it is.

One of my pet obsessions is "ergonomics"- basically, the study of how we interact with our surroundings (specifically, machines)- and rebuilding Sigfrid's car has given me ample opportunity to indulge my ideas.
    In a car, one of...if not THE...most important elements is the seat, and I've spent a lot of time playing with (and consequently, acquiring) different seats to try out in his car.
    Unfortunately, the FD is very space challenged and none of my efforts really worked out, leaving me with a surplus of chairage.
    This was my collection at the beginning of the summer...

The Corbeau(s) in the center were in both my FC and S.'s FD but neither of us liked them much and I've since sold them off to a Porsche owner.
    The two outside seats are from Hondas, the one on the right is now in my car, the one on the left has been sitting around gathering dust.
    I actually preferred the LH model (separate headrest) because it had all the bells and whistles (adjustable lumbar and bolster width and micro adjustment for seatback angle) but I just couldn't make it adapt as well as the other version.

I put the seats up on Craigslist but was not happy with the offers, so I decided to repurpose the seats for my own pleasure...specifically, a desk chair.
    As it happened, I had access to a junk lounge chair from which I could steal the swivel base, so V.1 was hastily assembled to check practicality.
    It was remarkably close to being right (height, seat angle, etc) but the 3/4" particle board I'd used was not up to the task and the base broke after a few hours (as it turns out, particle board is strong in compression but not in shear).

Encouraged however, I made the Mark2 version using real wood and it's been fine for a few days.
    Ultimately, I want to fab the whole thing from metal but I need a functional base plate to derive measurements from and wood is easy and fast to work with, so that's what I have so far.
    Here's the (semi) finished prototype...

(the upholstery is actually a dark charcoal grey and black, the flash washed it out in the pic)

It's a giant improvement over my previous generic office chair but not as nice as say a Herman Miller Aeron...then again, it didn't cost a grand either, so there's that.
    One of my coworkers wants me build one for him, so the passenger seat is allocated as well...I'll probably make out slightly better than even on the whole deal.

This makes driving my PC a whole lot nicer.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I've seen many car seats get repurposed, but this would be one of the most elaborate I've heard of. Don't forget to install shoulder strap seatbelts to avoid slamming your face against the desk during an abrupt stop.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    My desk has airbags.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    My desk has airbags.
    I wouldn't feel so comfortable having rapidly expanding objects in front of me at my masturbation station.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    I wouldn't feel so comfortable having rapidly expanding objects in front of me at my masturbation station.
    I should think that would be precisely what you'd want.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I should think that would be precisely what you'd want.
    You almost tricked me into talking about my erotic habits, but perhaps that my be a bit too "racy"
    Last edited by mjmacky; 10-11-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: to != too

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I'll be the judge of that.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    The last thing I want, as it relates to self-gratification, is to be judged good sir

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    My desk has airbags.
    ProTip:

Attachment 88794
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast