Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impacts of SOPA on BT

Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Can't believe this isn't a trending thread here.... Haven't been on the scene much recently,
    but this SOPA garbage has everyone losing their minds.

I mean I realized it was out of control when wiki shut down for a day, and firefox/google had blatant ad banners
    to support the anti-SOPA movement on their front pages.

I highly doubt this act will ever be passed, but if so what are some impacts we will be seeing (I'm assuming) in the near future (hypothetical)
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 01-20-2012 at 06:04 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tv Controls you View Post
    I highly doubt this act will ever be passed, but if so what are some impacts we will be seeing (I'm assuming) in the near future (hypothetical)
    No impact whatsoever. Alternative DNS server usage and IP address look-up is all you need to bypass it.

It only sets a precedent for other more sinister laws to follow suit, however.
    Ellipses go here.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    No impact whatsoever. Alternative DNS server usage and IP address look-up is all you need to bypass it.

It only sets a precedent for other more sinister laws to follow suit, however.
    Not sure what your getting at when you say "Alternative DNS server usage", if you wouldn't mind clarifying?

Questions from reading your post:
    So the act will allow for the unmapping of ip addresses to domain names for pirated websites?
    If so what is the point of remapping your ip address to another domain name, as they could remove that to?

Or are you suggesting something along the lines of a rogue DNS server, operated by pirates(Wow, that's a scary thought lol)?
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 01-20-2012 at 06:46 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    KRink's Avatar Headshot Deluxe BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    he means manually changing your DNS server in control panel (to 4.2.2.2 for example) instead of using the one your ISP assigns you. I dont know what he means about alternative IP address look-up, Im assuming its hiding your actual ip through some means like a proxy or tunnel, but im not sure.
    Last edited by KRink; 01-20-2012 at 07:49 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    LAMOVIDA's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Megaupload its back online but with new ip

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by KRink View Post
    he means manually changing your DNS server in control panel (to 4.2.2.2 for example) instead of using the one your ISP assigns you. I dont know what he means about alternative IP address look-up, Im assuming its hiding your actual ip through some means like a proxy or tunnel, but im not sure.
    You change the DNS on either your router (or modem if it acts as router). Control panel only if your computer gets the public IP address. Alternative IP address lookup means you find the IP address through another service (there are numerous websites for that) and simply replace the name domain with the IP address.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LAMOVIDA View Post
    Megaupload its back online but with new ip
    First off, I highly doubt that is the official Megaupload if your talking about the IP I'm thinking of.
    There are many template and site rips that look exactly (or damn near) the real Mega-upload.
    Second off, I fail to see how a DDL site has to do with BT? lol

I try to avoid the rocky seas of DDL sites at all costs. Such a hassle with broken links, wait times, non-parrallel downloads, ads everywhere (even with abp), hourly limits, and multiple parts..

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Or are you suggesting something along the lines of a rogue DNS server, operated by pirates(Wow, that's a scary thought lol)?
    Indeed, because it opens the possibility of hosting a name server that redirects you to phishing sites. I'm guessing you can always use those of any ISP outside the States, though - many don't check if you're one of their customers.

I try to avoid the rocky seas of DDL sites at all costs. Such a hassle with broken links, wait times, non-parrallel downloads, ads everywhere (even with abp), hourly limits, and multiple parts..
    They're much better if you know the tricks
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Indeed, because it opens the possibility of hosting a name server that redirects you to phishing sites. I'm guessing you can always use those of any ISP outside the States, though - many don't check if you're one of their customers.

They're much better if you know the tricks

I know how to bypass pretty much everything I listed....
    Download manager (usually only works on a choice few DDL sites, and usually depreciates in a few months time), switch ip addresses, or use one of those
    DDL bypassing websites (95% phissing sites). By the time you have DDL going smooth you would have wasted more time than necessary (and it will probably not work in a month anyway)
    Or you could simply hack an account on one of DDL sites (the problem is over 80% of the accounts you would get are free accounts)

Where as in BT... You simply download utorrent (never need to change) and click the torrent... done lol.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 01-20-2012 at 10:06 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    I know how to bypass pretty much everything I listed....
    Download manager (usually only works on a choice few DDL sites, and usually depreciates in a few months time)
    jDownloader supports hundreds of hosters, uses their API if existent to minimize the amount of breaking, and if a plugin is outdated, most of the time you only need to restart the program so that it updates itself. Basically, if something exists, jD can download it. Then you can use IP-changing scripts or alternating links to be always downloading. The program will wait for you and there's that addon to deal with captchas (you solve others' captchas, they solve yours).
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast