Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows or Linux

Linux is Open Source Software,while Windows is not..The simplest benefits of Open Source Code to demonstrate are increased security, reliability and functionality..because users of Open Source are readily able to identify and correct problems with the programs and to submit their own enhancements for incorporation into the program. Closed Source systems enjoy none of those benefits..

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Linux needs to improve some things in order to compete with windows

1. Gaming
    2. Their office suite
    3. The UI (Why big ugly fonts , with bad antialising ? )
    4. Ease of installment

But in order to do that , the developers need foundation , money . This is my personal opinion , the programmers of windows are getting paid a shitload of money whereas the programmers of linux are doing that with their own free time , and only a few cash .

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    1: Gaming- is that linuxes fault or the gaming companies for not releasing them on linux? (i honestly dont know but there must be a reason)

2: The Office suite is free, I have used it a little but i dont use MS office much either tbh, Gimp is OK again for free, they also have a 3d modeling program, I have installed it but never used it, mind you I installed Maya and never used that either.

3: Never really noticed, but then I am as blind as a bat, seem ok on Ubuntu 11.04

4: Ubuntu 11.04 was a piece of piss tbh, and i can mount all windows drives/folders with just double clicking them, if you are in windows you cant even see the linux partition.

I am on a wireless N connection with a tenda wireless N USB dongle thing, every version of linux hated it, could never get it to work, well Linux without the net is pointless, but 11.04 it worked out the box.

If i "had" to pay for windows, i would choose Linux now 100% of the time, but as i dont pay for windows, i use both about 50-50 but i am starting to prefer linux now over windows.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    I am on a wireless N connection with a tenda wireless N USB dongle thing, every version of linux hated it, could never get it to work, well Linux without the net is pointless, but 11.04 it worked out the box.
    Give Crunchbang a try. I keep reading on their forums that one of the main reasons that people stick with it is because it's always worked out of the box for them. Which is true for me too, but I've never had a problem with any Linux distro not working with my connections. So you really can't go by my opinion on this particular subject.

Plus it's based on Debian Stable which is solid as rock. And it's incredibly light and fast. All around it's a fantastic distro.

It's worth a shot.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Like i said ubuntu 11.04 worked out the box, so maybe a lot more will now, I know ubuntu 9.#/Debian 5/Kubuntu didnt, as i tried them, you needed to install rail, which i did and it still didnt work (probably my fault that though).

If i ever do get around to installing it again i may try it, but if something works i very rarely reinstall it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Each distribution has it's pros and cons . Debian is solid as a rock with huge archive of applications , ubuntu is based on debian so it's pretty stable as well , and more noob friendly . One thing i dislike about debian is that is a pain to install proprietary software . I remember trying to install nvidia drivers a lot of time ago , and it was a pain to install them . Maybe things are changed now

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    I have an nvidea card and it worked out of the box with ubuntu 11.04, but i do remember having headaches with that as well a couple of years ago.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    I have an nvidea card and it worked out of the box with ubuntu 11.04, but i do remember having headaches with that as well a couple of years ago.
    NVidia is very proactive these days with updating drivers for current Linux distros, and prompt you to download the latest driver when a new distro connects to the internet for the first time.
    Something else you maybe interested in Stoi, a company called Codeweavers makes a DirectX gaming emulation for Linux called CrossOver Games (They also make an application emulator called CrossOver). CrossOver & CrossOver Games offer far more application support than Wine does, so there definitely is the ability to game with the latest titles under Linux.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Poster
    Windows for me

i always go with Microsoft

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    I dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123