Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Science news.

Last edited by NotLettingItGo; 02-27-2012 at 10:59 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by rejectOfAllah View Post
    Darth arrives at MIT and immediately the entire world is encouraged to obtain an MIT qualification... shurley those two can't be linked in some way?
    Cum hoc ergo propter hoc.

If you want real science news:

http://www.wi.mit.edu/news/archives/2012/ic_0212.html

One step closer to seeing whether an MPF truly regulates the cell cycle instead of just the interphase/metaphase transitions (a debate that has been waged for much of the past 30 years - even after its discovery). Basically one step closer to controlling cellular division, and hopefully stem cell transplantations.

http://www.nature.com/nchem/journal/...chem.1253.html

True genius at work. People say tailoring is difficult. I say grow nano-crystals of macromolecules and you'll know what difficulty is. I have a friend who does crystallization - he's been on one project for 8 years now. Synthetic zeolites soon. Scavenging is going to grow as a field.
    Last edited by Quarterquack; 02-13-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    Ellipses go here.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Last edited by NotLettingItGo; 02-27-2012 at 10:51 PM.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Last edited by NotLettingItGo; 02-27-2012 at 10:51 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Darth,

Why is it scientisty/medically type people can't accept that some of us don't want their 'help'?
    Everybody needs help. Most people are just too stubborn to acknowledge what about. Scientists are just too arrogant to give up advising.

Asians need a milk revolution in advertisement the type of which put De Beers on top, African Americans need sickle cell and diabetic awareness, Brits need to understand environmental carcinogens better.

Let me leave you with a story: I ran into my ophthalmologist near court recently (the University I work at and Ottawa's courts are 5 minutes away from each other on foot). He was distraught that he was being sued. He kept warning his patient that he wasn't taking care of his sugar intake to properly reflect his diabetic condition, but the patient insisted he could see fine. The doc agreed that the patient had 20/20 vision, but that long term effects are highly detrimental. The patient kept ignoring the doctor's letters, until one day he woke up with a nearly full retinal detachment. Now the poor sod is being walked over in court because of the extensive record of ignored letters, and the doc just feels bad that he has to take down a blind man in court.

Lesson to be learnt: If someone has spent $100,000-$200,000 on becoming a professional in a field, and insists that you need their help, chances are they are not be bluffing.
    Ellipses go here.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Also, I know exactly what you meant. I just thought it would be entertaining to give you the exact opposite of a philosophical engagement.
    Ellipses go here.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Darth,

Why is it scientisty/medically type people can't accept that some of us don't want their 'help'?
    Funny how you think they could easily ignore their conscience because of observing a combination of ignorance and stubbornness.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Darth,

Funny how you think they could easily ignore their conscience because of observing a combination of ignorance and stubbornness.
    That would be how Koresh/Icke/Cruise would rationalise to themselves their goal of getting their doctrine repeated as a mantra by the general populace.

I understand it's hardly analogous but I'm with the hippy. If someone really doesn't want you to help them with a problem, be it a blood transfusion or radiation treatment or even a free computer, then their ignorance and stubbornness should be respected.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    I understand it's hardly analogous but I'm with the hippy. If someone really doesn't want you to help them with a problem, be it a blood transfusion or radiation treatment or even a free computer, then their ignorance and stubbornness should be respected.
    So convenient of you to side step the fact that it's in no way analogous; you've got in one hand, people with professional opinions that are easily and commonly subjected to more than one professional opinion, and on the other, a bag full of nuts.

If Tom Cruise was at your house right now, advising you what he think you should be doing, are you going to shoot down his suggestions on the premise of not wanting to be "educated" on the matter or on the premise that the shit coming out of his mouth is immeasurably crazy?

I know what I'd do, I'd just shoot him.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 02-20-2012 at 07:09 AM.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    So convenient of you to side step the fact that it's in no way analogous; you've got in one hand, people with professional opinions that are easily and commonly subjected to more than one professional opinion, and on the other, a bag full of nuts.

If Tom Cruise was at your house right now, advising you what he think you should be doing, are you going to shoot down his suggestions on the premise of not wanting to be "educated" on the matter or on the premise that the shit coming out of his mouth is immeasurably crazy?

I know what I'd do, I'd just shoot him.
    All of what you wrote is quite correct but I thought you'd just get what I was driving at - and then I remembered your condition and put some neon signs pointing at Amish and Jehovah's witness just in case.

Some people are so happy with their chosen lifestyles that they do not want convenience thrust upon them, even if it might save their life. In a broader sense, I think it's a very bad thing indeed to try to force our (western) ideals onto peoples who have no desire for them.
    I assume any forward thinking individual would concur.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast