Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tutorials for setting up proxies with uTorrent?

Hi,

I contacted someone on a different forum about what's the plan for torrents in the future. He told me that we will be using more proxies.

I have never tried setting up a proxy until a few days ago. I would like to do this for free. In uTorrent, I tried setting the IP address, and the port, and I also checked peer to peer exchange. Apply the settings, and my download under tracker is timed out.

Could you someone please post a full complete tutorial that does this for free with what sites to get the proxy servers?

Do I also need to setup a DNS, and a VPN? If so, would those be covered in a complete tutorial?

Thank you!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    ajsi's Avatar think twice... BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky12 View Post
    Hi,

I contacted someone on a different forum about what's the plan for torrents in the future. He told me that we will be using more proxies.

I have never tried setting up a proxy until a few days ago. I would like to do this for free. In uTorrent, I tried setting the IP address, and the port, and I also checked peer to peer exchange. Apply the settings, and my download under tracker is timed out.

Could you someone please post a full complete tutorial that does this for free with what sites to get the proxy servers?

Do I also need to setup a DNS, and a VPN? If so, would those be covered in a complete tutorial?

Thank you!
    Peer to peer exchange has nothing to do with using a proxy server in utorrent afaik. Are you sure you selected the correct type of proxy in the utorrent settings?
    Last edited by ajsi; 02-16-2012 at 08:06 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    My guess is that he's confusing peer-to-peer connections with PEX.

You don't need a tutorial but uTorrent's manual. Find a SOCKS or HTTPS proxy that allows unrestricted connections. That will work.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    My guess is that he's confusing peer-to-peer connections with PEX.

You don't need a tutorial but uTorrent's manual. Find a SOCKS or HTTPS proxy that allows unrestricted connections. That will work.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=socks...ient=firefox-a

That is about the closest I came for what you told me to look for.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    I must be doing something wrong, sir?

I tried this site: http://megasocks.blogspot.com/

I tried the first one in the list even the colon with the port. After the colon I put that port from the list you gave me, and put into the uTorrent port box. The port box default is set to 8080. I left all settings on default. The only setting I changed under the proxy connection was placed a check next to peer to peer exchange. I set the proxy type to SOCK 5, and downloads went all the way slow. What am I doing wrong?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    anon,

I finally got it working! May you please tell me what settings you have in uTorrent for the SOCKS5 connection proxy?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    ajsi's Avatar think twice... BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    anon,

I finally got it working! May you please tell me what settings you have in uTorrent for the SOCKS5 connection proxy?
    You just put the proxy details into the proxy server fields under utorrent's preferences/connection tab, and select socks5 as the type of the proxy. That should be all you need to do... Or that is all I need to do.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Thank you! Will that help us prevent the future when the FBI, and MPAA, and RIAA wants to stop us?

Quote Originally Posted by ajsi View Post
    anon,

You just put the proxy details into the proxy server fields under utorrent's preferences/connection tab, and select socks5 as the type of the proxy. That should be all you need to do... Or that is all I need to do.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Thank you! Will that help us prevent the future when the FBI, and MPAA, and RIAA wants to stop us?

Quote Originally Posted by ajsi View Post
    Well, it certainly won't help the people providing the content when the authorities want to step in

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast