Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What.cd IS NOT for the casual user!!

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by ajsi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
    Let's face it. What.cd isn't for the casual downloader who simply downloads and seeds 24/7.
    I call BS. Staff picks can get you a significant upload amount, even on a slow connection. In case you want to whine about not wanting to check the site all the time in case there are new picks, or checking other sites like FST, or not having anyone that would tell you when there were new picks, it doesn't matter. It is still easy, if you seed everything you DL... The minimum ratio rule also works big in your advantage. Upload speed doesn't matter that much on what.cd, because you are only gonna upload a small amount of data basically on anything, maybe except FLAC (you DL more data on that though, so it is logical that you upload more too, but the V0:FLAC upload ratio should be similar, maybe the upload speed might matters a bit more), dunno about that. Only time when your upload speed really matters is during FL / Staff picks, when it basically determines how much you are gonna upload.

Yea, of course you won't be able to DL 100GB right after you've joined and then expect to seed it all back in a week. I seed about 500 torrents (V0 rips) about 10 hours a day, and in the last week or two (can't tell for sure since I don't track it that much) I uploaded just over 5 gigabytes (10Mb upload, but as I said, this doesn't matter). That is not much, but I certainly don't DL 5GB of music every two weeks...

Plus I think that if you do seed, the staffers won't give you trouble. I mean, ffs, there are 150.000 users, if you do seed your shit, you will eventually upload some data...

But then if you DL FLAC, you don't have any music in your library, have a 4th world connection, then yea, it might suck for you.

But you know what, I think that you don't care anyway, you are just pissed off that you can't seed 1:1 in a week, and don't even wanna try, and just came here to make yourself feel better, by finding others that will share you feelings...
    And I think that you're a professional bt tracker member who grew up knee deep in this stuff and now only comes to this site when he feels the need to demonstrate his perceived superiority.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    ajsi's Avatar think twice... BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    And I think that you're a professional bt tracker member who grew up knee deep in this stuff and now only comes to this site when he feels the need to demonstrate his perceived superiority.
    Ye, well you guessed it. My ego is so small that every once in a while, I feel the need to show someone how awesome and better I am.

Sure, I could write some stuff how I don't give a shit anymore, how I use only a few bt sites now, and whatnot, but I don't really care, I was just bored and visited the site, and couldn't resist the urge to respond to this. But hey, the legendary Idoleyes wants to have an argument, I better call it a day and retreat.

as for Soulreaper, I didn't wanna sound agressive or something, but it looked like you came here just to whine. Might not be the case, hence my text, which I think you can take something from...
    Last edited by ajsi; 03-29-2012 at 07:24 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    [QUOTE=ajsi;3663952]
    Sure, I could write some stuff how I don't give a shit anymore, how I use only a few bt sites now, and whatnot, but I don't really care, I was just bored and visited the site, and couldn't resist the urge to respond to this. But hey, the legendary Idoleyes wants to have an argument, I better call it a day and retreat.
    I didn't want to have an argument,you offered an opinion and I simply offered mine.
    Anyway neither Rocky or I are known for being very reasonable so in the spirit of getting along we offer this humble piece of advice when faced with adversity.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    ajsi's Avatar think twice... BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    [QUOTE=IdolEyes787;3663955]

I didn't want to have an argument,you offered an opinion and I simply offered mine.
    Anyway neither Rocky or I are known for being very reasonable so in the spirit of getting along we offer this humble piece of advice when faced with adversity.

We both know how it is, don't we? But nvm, I take it. But that is as many hits as I can take today, un/fortunately. Thanks for the vid I guess.
    Last edited by ajsi; 03-29-2012 at 07:40 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    [QUOTE=ajsi;3663956]
    We both know how it is, don't we? But nvm, I take it. But that is as many hits as I can take today, un/fortunately. Thanks for the vid I guess.
    You saw the bit where we said we loved you then I take it.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    @OP - You obviously missed the fact that downloading stuff from the internets is basically a felony. You're getting stuff that costs mony, for nothing. Literally.
    Say thanks you have the OPTION to do so, and on What, you actually have the chance to choose from an almost infinite collection of music (ripped to perfection), and even select your preferred format (for quality/ratio needs).
    If you're that pissed with the What.CD system, go download shit from eMule or Kazaa.. It still works. Even Soulseek is still an option for your audio needs. But don't go boo-hooing about a site that indexes non-free stuff for free, with the minimal request of uploading back what you took, or, as an alternative, try and give something of your own to the community of What by uploading your own rips (heck, I often sample music online to see if I like it, then go buy it to support the artist).

(BTW - If you're so "shit-scared" to download from What, you obviously haven't found a release you REALLY want, otherwise you would have downloaded it ages ago...)

And if all of this still doesn't satisfy you - you could always PURCHASE (god forbid) music (you could even buy it on iTunes!! No need to leave the PC-chair!!!).

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    One word. Waffles.

Points system. 1200 points get you 24 hour free leech. They allow Vuze. Random free leeches. Pretty much all the content you want compared to What. Yes, What has more, but in my +4 years on both sites I've needed What for maybe 10 CDs. Non-Gazelle, so you can actually thank the person, who made the perfect rip without PM.

nuff said.

and @tralalala

iTunes has managed to piss me off beyond limits, when I wanted to buy music from them several years ago. I will NEVER even make an account there. "your country is not supported". Have you ever got that. If not, then you're in one of those "supported" countries. Oh.. you support it now several years later.. well fuck you. If I never hear anything about anything i* again, I'll be quite happy about it. I will rather risk going to jail then giving them one single cent.
    Last edited by Night0wl; 03-30-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Please forgive my n00bness on this topic but arent these music is available on warez bb ?
    Last edited by absent_today; 03-30-2012 at 01:29 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    [QUOTE=IdolEyes787;3663960]

You saw the bit where we said we loved you then I take it.
    I especially liked the part where you said he was the best part of your life. That's what BT is all about.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
    Your stats say it all. You have like 175 gigs uploaded but about 2 gigs downloaded as you probably downloaded like 3 times in 3 years during FL. That just shows how shit-scared users are to download anything substantial when it's NOT freeleech(which is like 364/365 days a year) which just underlines the fact that what.cd's ratio system needs to be discarded because as much as they think it works it just doesn't.

And all the methods you describe to survive ,as effective as they maybe, are flat out BS because it just doesn't apply to the casual user who'll just DL and seed back music which he loves listening to.

The thing is torrent sites were never meant to be about survival, it's turned out that way thanks to profiteering admins.
    Torrenting is about sharing and what.cd almost forces you to do that.

I've downloaded more than 50-60gbs in my time there, and I'm nowhere near scared of ratios. I can double my 175gb overnight, and even with my current ratio I can download somewhere around 400 flacs without looking back.

Your ideals might not line up with the staff's but I assure you that I for one enjoy what.cd being the only site that tries to be different. Don't forget that they're treading in oink's tracks so there's a lot of rules behind the scenes that they adhere to so that they don't end up in jail. It just so blissfully happens that both sets of rules and ideals align.
    Ellipses go here.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast