Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: alot of incompletes on giganews

Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    But the original post can still be found on free Dutch providers like Just4today
    Anyone else besides J4T?

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    newsgroupie
    ^^^ Since other freebies XSusenet and Binload feed off the same backend (XLned) I would assume that completion should be identical. I'd be surprised if any of the other Dutch servers were hit, but that's just a guess
    Last edited by zot; 04-27-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    "I am definitely not trying to plug our site" -- nntpjunkie

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    The removed part, "and a high count of unique ad views per day doesnt hurt either" is somewhat of a misnomer, since usnet affiliate programs care nothing about "unique ad views" or click-throughs --they pay commissions only on actual *paid* signups-- and I, for one, would like to thank JustDOSE in his newfound fastidiousness, as demonstrated in his ostensible attempt at possibly avoiding even more ridicule.
    He just can't help from being ridiculous, can he? I'd feel bad for him if I wasn't so insensitive towards his obvious developmental retardation. I think I've been too accommodating, I even rewrote some of his posts to show him how to be taken seriously instead of sounding like a fumbling idiot. I realize I was overshooting there, the boy finds pimping a difficult and overly complicated venture. I should have known better.
    All I got to say is thanks for making me laugh today, I needed it! Anyway on to another beer on this Friday...
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    ^^^ Since other freebies XSusenet and Binload feed off the same backend (XLned) I would assume that completion should be identical. I'd be surprised if any of the other Dutch servers were hit, but that's just a guess
    For that post and related posts J4T is my last man standing, they were removed from XSusenet.

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    newsgroupie
    That's my mistake, I had mixed up the backends, a tracert just now shows a completely different path.

I hope this is not a sign of the future, the way this release was hit, with such speed and thoroughness. Maybe we were growing lazy when the only takedowns typically were with Giganews and Highwinds and no one else (even if these 2 companies together made up the vast majority of the [long-retention] binaries market) and even then, easily fixed by pars or a fill-server.

Usenet posts flew under the radar during all the previous enforcement sweeps - FTP and "personal websites" in the 1990s, then Napster, Morpheus, Kazaa, eDonkey, Limewire, Bittorrent, and one-click file hosts in the 2000s - but has now started to become a primary target of the anti-P2P enforcers, and it the enforcement grows and spreads we might need to start developing new strategies.

But so far The Pirate Bay still ignores (except to ridicule) all takedown requests, so it might be the only truly safe place left for the foreseeable future. (Just make sure to use a trustworthy proxy, as UFC could easily launch another mass torrent lawsuit.)
    "I am definitely not trying to plug our site" -- nntpjunkie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123