Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P2p Millionaires On The Increase

Removing spyware and giving away a P2P program will never happen. There is no source of revenue.
    Well Soulseek and Shareaza seem to manage it OK - they don't have spyware and are run on a voluntary donation basis.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Poster
    You can remove ALL the spyware and still get money from ads.

WHY do you have to have some 3rd party attached program (another potential point of failure&#33 to your program when you can use internal IE web pages, complete with the more classical/standard banner ads, cookies, web bugs, ip loggers, and other tracking techniques?

Or, like regular Kazaa and BearShare, have special shared files which are PAID advertisement to extract additional revenue.

Google has paid ads and no spyware programs (other than IE/web browser driven ones) -- why does P2P file-sharing programs need to be any different?

Imagine shop online merged with file-sharing -- if online (and offline&#33 stores think file-sharing is so 'popular', why DON'T they want their ads where 'millions' can see them? Even if the ads only make money for the file-sharing companies if someone clicks on them/buys something from them, if they're selling 'desireable' things that are at least vaguely relavant to file-sharing (like computer parts, hard drives, blank CD's, etc...) then they'd STILL be getting income.

Any of you here ever pick up a newspaper or magazine lately? They're stuff with more ads probably than EVER. Those ads success rates are still probably not much better than many of the web banner ads and spam messages... yet companies often pay big bucks (like $20,000+ for a 1-page ad) to get them in newspapers and magazines!

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Well Soulseek and Shareaza seem to manage it OK - they don't have spyware and are run on a voluntary donation basis
    Soulseek is a non-profit organization and not a company. An exception to the rule. Don't know much about Shareaza but...

WHY do you have to have some 3rd party attached program (another potential point of failure&#33 to your program when you can use internal IE web pages, complete with the more classical/standard banner ads, cookies, web bugs, ip loggers, and other tracking techniques?
    So very true. While developers will state "there is no third party spyware in our software", who's to say the developers themselves aren't collecting and selling data? In fact, InfoUSA, (located in my city) has collected more data than any other in the US. It's astounding what they know about the public.

As my dad said when I was but a small child, "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch." This is so very true. If you don't believe me, get about 10 years [after college] of life experience behind you and you will see the light.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by harrycary@20 November 2003 - 20:32
    Well Soulseek and Shareaza seem to manage it OK - they don't have spyware and are run on a voluntary donation basis
    Soulseek is a non-profit organization and not a company. An exception to the rule. Don't know much about Shareaza but...

So very true. While developers will state "there is no third party spyware in our software", who's to say the developers themselves aren't collecting and selling data? In fact, InfoUSA, (located in my city) has collected more data than any other in the US. It's astounding what they know about the public.

As my dad said when I was but a small child, "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch." This is so very true. If you don't believe me, get about 10 years [after college] of life experience behind you and you will see the light.
    A program/website can have web banners and gather revenue from them based on site referrals without excessive tracking -- also if the IE pages shown in a p2p file-sharing program, you could literally say for instance that at a certain time WORLDWIDE your ad gets exposure to anyone looking at the ads page at tha moment.

Plus, being a 'real' webpage (presumeably one run by the p2p file-sharing program's makers) instead of a 3rd party program, the makers have more control over it and can change it often.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Originally posted by internet.news@17 November 2003 - 16:33
    Like Zennstrom and Friis, Pablo Soto has founded his own P2P network. Pablo created the MP2P network that is used by Blubster and Piolet. It seems like only yesterday that Pablo was struggling to make money from Blubster. Now he is earning a small fortune via the P2P application, thanks to a large community and adopting the likes of cydoor in the Blubster application. The 23 year old can only get richer with his big plans for the application. iMesh and StreamCast are interested in licensing access to the network and Pablo plans to extend the network to sharing all file types.
    looks like the claims about there being hidden adware/ spyware whichever applies is true about piolet. no matter. not enough users. the bluebird owns my hard disk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12