Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    That board has a socket A.

http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7sem.html

Again... What is the heatsink clipped onto?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    The heatsink is clipped into nothing- it sits directly on top of the processor. There are 4 round pads at each corner and a rectangular pad in the centre. The heatsink seems to have been attached to the cpu with some kind of resin around the rectangular pad. The heatsink has the fan screwed into the fins, and is itself attached to the board by a metal clip running through the centre which screws in (on your picture the screws would be centre top and bottom of the white square). The board DOES NOT HAVE the white plastic socket, though in every other respect it is identical. Whatever that square sits on top of, that is what the chip is plugged directly into, though there is a stencil of where that plastic should sit on the board itself, with letters down one side and numbers across the bottom.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Rhydian,

I just DLed and read the manual for your board and it appears to have a bog standard AMD socket.
    Retaining lever and all.

Sumpin' ain't right here.

Edit:
    Just saw your last post...

Forget the heatsink for a moment, what the hey is holding the CPU onto the board?
    It HAS to have a socket, I should imagine.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    You'd think that wouldn't you? I'll swear by whatever god or gods you wish that the white bit of plastic, which you would think would be impossible to leave out, has been left out. I can't shift the chip to see, but I'm guessing it's the same resin that was attaching the heatsink to the chip. Unbelievable I know, but true all the same.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Who made that PC?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    It was Carrera SSC in the UK, and I wouldn't buy a paperclip from them ever again. Anybody reading this, I advise you the same.
    And tell your friends.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    That's awfully strange. I can't figure out why they would do that. Is there any chance you could post a picture of that?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Maybe the owner retired on all the extra money he saved NOT using a CPU socket.
    Elmer's glue has to be alot cheaper after all.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    they did that with some older mobos in the 1995 - 1996 errar ( i know long time ago aint it??) and they simply made the mobo and proccesor a 1 unit thing, not detachable, this was mainly because aof a proprietary set up, the mobo was designed for a single cpu, and cpu for it, very effiecent, no way to upgrade though(although i remember just pitching the old one and getting a new one...) ya do that when you see walmart selling computers... all- in- all looks like you will be buyin a new mobo...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    No can do on the pic i'm afraid- no web cam, no digital anything. I could try scanning it? Tell you what, PM me your address and i'll mail it to you- it's bugger all use to me! New motherboard time; i'm just hoping that the bas**rds haven't glued the board onto the case to save money on screws.
    Oh, and regarding Carrera, did I mention the £30 phone costs I incurred on their helpline when I first got the PC? They'd made an arse of the configuration, and around 90% of that cost was me being on hold.
    But i'm not bitter. Honest.
    Anyway, in the interest of balance, I got my new PC from Mesh- fantastic machine, very good price, excellent service. Built to run forever.

Thanks for the help guys, and Virtualbody, the board's yours if you want it. Then you could put a picture up for all to see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast